• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Arturo Fuente 8-5-8

Cigar Smokin Chef

OK I know that this isn't a super premium cigar but I am practicing my "tasting" and reviewing so I will post this review here.

Since it was a dreay wet day here in NJ I was smoking in my Computer/Hobby room enjoying a frosty St. Pauli Girl N.A. ( my wife has a drinking problem so I don't drink at home). Since I am new to cigars and haven't much of a collection to chose from I went with and old favorite. Arturo Fuente 8-5-8.

I am sure most of this information is well known but I will include it to practice my reviewing.

Length: 6"
Ring: 47
Cost: 3.75 (Holts)
Origin: Dominican Republic
Wrapper: Cameroon
Filler: Dominican
Binder: Dominican

123103073-M.jpg

Examining the cigar I found the construction to be slightly soft, with some Predominate veins in the medium brown wrapper. It was not particularly oily or glossy, nor dry. There did seem to be a big channel in the bunch.

123103083-S.jpg

I cut it with a v cutter and toasted the foot. Prelight draw showed nothing wrong and I lit it up. As expected the light was uneven because of the channel, but it evened out again after a few minutes.

The ash was distinctly black and white (salt & pepper), and somewhat flakey

123115834-S.jpg

The taste was medium bodied with a slightly vegetal (green?) flavor. No harshness in the smoke, very mellow mouth feel and no bite on the palette.

Ash feel off on its own at about 2"

All in all a nice smoke for the money, but I need something a bit more exciting to review.

123115061-S.jpg

I had one of these a few days ago and overall I thought it's not bad.

Here's my notes on this one:

A Fuente -
Gran Reserva Flora Fina 8/5/8 Maduro
-----------------------------------------------

Size - 6" x 48
Origin - Dominican Republic
Wrapper - Dominican Republic (maduro)
Binder - Dominican Republic
Filler - Dominican Republic
Flavor - medium / full

Cost: 4.45

Notes:

01-11-06

-appears a well rolled cigar
-maybe mild tooth or just a rough wrapper
-smells like a fresh beer in the head
-starts with a very mild pepper
-follows with sweet taste and scent
-very rich flavors building up fast
-slight hint of something I can't place
-at 3/4's the cigar gets very smooth
-taste good at this point
-very quick to build up to a stronger flavor
-sometimes a mild taste of the fresh beer
-not bad compared to others at 5 bucks

Nice review!

This vitola is one of my favorite. I recently was gifted a maduro that had been sitting for a couple years. It was fabulous! full maduro flavor--sweet, caramel like finish!

I also am resting some SG--they are getting ready :)

Good job. It's always nice when you include pics in the review. The only thing I would like to see more of is how it smoked from begining to end. Other than that you were to the point.

Side note-what kind of camera did you use? The details showed up very good in macro

I've yet to have an 858 I didn't enjoy. If I can just get my hands on another 858 SG.

Good job. It's always nice when you include pics in the review. The only thing I would like to see more of is how it smoked from begining to end. Other than that you were to the point.

Side note-what kind of camera did you use? The details showed up very good in macro

I use a Canon Rebel 300, bought it when it first came out of course they upgraded to the 350 then lowered the price...Oh well!

Here is a link to my Gallery

Pics were photoshopped a bit ...Levels and a bit of sharpening.

Mark

Nice review!. The 858 is my go to cigar when I am hitting the links!

Nice review.

These cigars have been hit and miss for me... few good ones and a few bad one. These were much better 5 years ago... now the quality and consistency isn't good and they are even harder to find.

Thanks for the review, and sharing the pics! the 8-5-8 is my favorite in the $5 range