• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Arturo Fuente Anejo Reserva No. 77 “The Shark”

T2P

Green Horn
Throughout each of our smoking lives, many of us set aside cigars that we label as special to be smoked on rare occasions. One such cigar that repeatedly tops many lists is the Arturo Fuente Anejo Reserva No. 77. Resembling a tooth because of its uniquely box pressed torpedo shape, this cigar is more commonly known as the Anejo “Shark”. Sought after by both lovers and collectors with fervor similar to the search for Fuente’s Opus X line, this is one cigar that I have been looking forward to trying for some time.

As mentioned above, the Shark has a unique obelisk shape that is a result of box pressing the original torpedo. Carrying a solid heft, the construction of the cigar is excellent. As this particular smoke was aged since 2006, the oils present on the wrapper’s surface were noticeably transferable to my fingers. A faint texture of tooth and minor veins gives this smoke a natural appearance without being rugged. Even the wrapper and foot emit the faint scent of sweet cocoa.

Moving into the prelight, my Palio guillotine made a beautiful angled cut and the cigar held up beautifully. The prelight draw is perfect and the sweetness noted before comes through with a faint tongue tingle of pepper. A buttery nuttiness comes through as well. Torching this smoke proves to be a bit of a challenge because of its dense construction. Once lit, the burn was slightly uneven but that could be because of the issues getting it lit.

After a few initial puffs the creamy smoke builds and the nut and sweet flavors develop into more defined almond and perhaps vanilla. The overall balance is wonderfully deep and substantial but not powerful. Exhaling through the nose produces a slight tartness that is not unpleasant when accompanied by the sweetness. It actually reminds me of fresh, uncooked, rhubarb.

As the session progresses, the burn remains wavy but controllable. Additionally, a more prominent Cedar flavor develops. The overall strength of this cigar builds and eventually tips more towards a spiced profile, although the almond remains. This lasts for about an inch until the spice tones down and allows the almond, vanilla and Cedar to come back through. Over the last inch and a half the spice continually builds itself but does not become overbearing.

Overall this is a fantastic smoke. While spicy, every flavor present gets a turn to show its stuff and the overall result is perfect balance and harmony. On top of that, the construction of the cigar along with its appearance gives it a certain presence. This is not a cigar that you will forget about when smoking. One unfortunate drawback of this smoke is its rarity. Released in limited quantities only around Father’s Day and Christmas a buyer can expect to spend anywhere from 10 to 30 dollars per cigar. At MSRP I would buy as many as I could find and would be willing to spend a few bucks per stick over that just to ensure I had several on hand. To date, there are only three cigars that I would want to guarantee there was a full box of in my humidor, those being the Fuente Hemingway Short Story, Tatuaje J21 Reserva and now the Fuente Anejo Reserva No. 77 “Shark”.

P6080029.jpg

P6080035.jpg

P6080045.jpg

P6080054.jpg

Great, review of a great stick!!! I love the Shark, I alway perceived more of a spicy, rum type profile over the almonds or vanilla but, that could be a product of the additinoal age.

I don't have quite the restraint that you do and all my Sharkies are from 08 and on.

Nice review! I don't consider the anejos a "spicy" cigar per se. But yes, the shark is one of my favorite "special occaision" sticks.

Love them!

Now that I have a #77 to smoke, I anxiously await that moment with your review in mind. Sounds like a winner all the way.

Quite the review! I've had Sharks that blew me away, and then some that were just plain duds, but when they are on, they smoke incredibly! Of the Anejo line, my favorite is definitely the 46, then the 50, and after that comes the Shark. If I could hold onto one for numerous years, I imagine it would take place of the 46, however those I've smoked young just didn't make first or second. Too mild for my palate unfortunately. An excellent review to be sure, and I look forward to the pics!

Great, review of a great stick!!! I love the Shark, I alway perceived more of a spicy, rum type profile over the almonds or vanilla but, that could be a product of the additinoal age.

I don't have quite the restraint that you do and all my Sharkies are from 08 and on.

Ha the restraint was no where near my own. It was actually one of the first sticks I picked up from a BOTL through the newb sampler when I first joined. Well aged prior to me getting it, I almost lasted a year :p

Nice review! I don't consider the anejos a "spicy" cigar per se. But yes, the shark is one of my favorite "special occaision" sticks.

Love them!

Just to clarify I am thinking spiced like you would find in a cider rather than peppery. Glad to hear you have had the chance to try them out.

Do you write for a review site?

I actually write reviews for myself because I really like the way they get me to focus on different flavors and nuances. I started writing them shortly after I started smoking which is simultaneous for when I came across CP and have been doing it since. During that time I did start sending them to Cigar Inspector as well to reach a different audience. Did you see one there?

Now that I have a #77 to smoke, I anxiously await that moment with your review in mind. Sounds like a winner all the way.

You will have to let me know when you try it Pug. I always like to know how people perceive them differently.

Quite the review! I've had Sharks that blew me away, and then some that were just plain duds, but when they are on, they smoke incredibly! Of the Anejo line, my favorite is definitely the 46, then the 50, and after that comes the Shark. If I could hold onto one for numerous years, I imagine it would take place of the 46, however those I've smoked young just didn't make first or second. Too mild for my palate unfortunately. An excellent review to be sure, and I look forward to the pics!

Coming from you Greg makes me blush. I have a 50 in my humi that I will get to eventually but I try to mix up brands or at least lines between smokes so maybe in a couple months. I have yet to pick up a 46 so maybe I will look for a couple of those to keep on hand and try out as well.

In all honesty I think I am going to keep my eyes out for a newer 77 without the age just so I can see how this one has developed. Just like brewing beer I love sampling at every stage from grain to various aged bottles.

I actually write reviews for myself because I really like the way they get me to focus on different flavors and nuances. I started writing them shortly after I started smoking which is simultaneous for when I came across CP and have been doing it since. During that time I did start sending them to Cigar Inspector as well to reach a different audience. Did you see one there?

Yep, saw the same review on Cigar Inspector and assumed you were either writing for them, or straight ripped their site off. Glad it was you on both sites. :laugh:

Yep, saw the same review on Cigar Inspector and assumed you were either writing for them, or straight ripped their site off. Glad it was you on both sites. :laugh:

Ha, don't you think I would rip someone off who can write better than that Joe K schmuck? :sign:

This is my all time favorite smoke, Unfortunatly I only have two left in the humi. Im praying my B&M will have more around the fathers day sale. These are well worth the price.

The moment you light up a fine cigar, that's what makes it a special occasion........great write up!

Great write-up, you should work as a Fuente rep. I am off to find one of these potential gems. I do love the Short Story's as wel so maybe we have similar tastes. I know that my local B&M doesn't have them though. Guess I'll look online somewhere.

Nice review. I guess I'm a werido, as the #48 is my favorite from that line.

Sharks are good, 48's tickle my taste buds better......