• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Arturo Fuente

rostius

Ok, so I've been smoking for about a year and have the desktop humi and the coolidor going now. I tend to pick up a hobby and then expand quickly...
But anyway, when I was in Phoenix last month for business I went by Matchstix and picked up a box of Fuente curly heads and man are they good. Had one in the store and then bought the box to bring home as the price difference is incredible vs Canadian prices!!

My question would be, what would you experienced guys say is equivelant to this? I also have had recently the Partagas Serie D No. 4 and it was one of my favourites...

Not sure any Fuente is comparable to ISOMs, if that's what you're asking.

I do keep a couple of Curly Heads around as yard-gars and windy-day golf smokes, and yes, they're not bad for the price. But IMHO, the 2 cigars you mention and like comparing JW Red with Blue, IMHO.

Curly heads are cheap because (I think) they're machine-made without long filler, but either mixed or short filler (there's a difference between the regular and the deluxe, but not sure what).

As for equals?? I think they're one of the best deals for cheap smokes out there and to compare, maybe Monniemaker or something like that. Personally, I prefer Flor de Oliva bundles for cheaper smokes.

I do keep a couple of Curly Heads around as yard-gars and windy-day golf smokes, and yes, they're not bad for the price. But IMHO, the 2 cigars you mention and like comparing JW Red with Blue, IMHO.

Curly heads are cheap because (I think) they're machine-made without long filler, but either mixed or short filler (there's a difference between the regular and the deluxe, but not sure what).

As for equals?? I think they're one of the best deals for cheap smokes out there and to compare, maybe Monniemaker or something like that. Personally, I prefer Flor de Oliva bundles for cheaper smokes.

Flor de Oliva Gold's :thumbs:

What is the difference between Golds and their normal line? I was just in Illinois for work. In Chicago I saw a Tobacco City store. I stopped in and they actually had pretty good prices. Got 3 Curly Heads for $7.50, I have never had them either so I am looking forward to it.

Curly Heads are made from the clippings from making their other stogies. They are made from excellent tobacco. I don't care for them since they are rather mild and I prefer a stronger cigar. Consuegra is a good low priced bundle. #84 is my favorite.

If you like the curly heads, you ought to start smoking the higher end Fuentes like Añejos, Hemingways, etc. :thumbs:

Yep, they cost more but they are well worth it IMO.

Since I'm new to cigars, I'm still confused. What is all this about Red Label, Blue Label, Purple Label, etc.?

Also, my local B&M said (dunno if this is true) that Curly Heads are made by people who are learning to roll cigars in the factories.

I prefer Flor de Oliva bundles for cheaper smokes.

Definitely. You can't beat them for the price.

Also: The Aggie agrees ;) . Thats 3 in one thread. Flor de Olivas are probably the best value 'gar on the market. I've picked a couple bundles for $25-30 a piece at cbid. They smoke like a $4-5 cigar IMO.

snip...But IMHO, the 2 cigars you mention and like comparing JW Red with Blue, IMHO.
....snip

Since I'm new to cigars, I'm still confused. What is all this about Red Label, Blue Label, Purple Label, etc.?

Also, my local B&M said (dunno if this is true) that Curly Heads are made by people who are learning to roll cigars in the factories.

The colour reference above was to Scotch, and comparing Johnnie Walker Red (which is gutrot IMHO) and Blue, which is a damned fine drink. Some cigar manufacturers do identify their lines by a band colour (Pepin in some cases ...... I think) but I'm not famaliar enough with those to comment.

I may be wrong, but I do not believe Curly Heads are hand made. They are mixed / short filler and clippings form rollers benches but machine made, I think.

Haven't tried any Curly Heads, but Don Kiki's from cubancrafters.com are my yard'gar. Smoke as good as any upper-mid priced cigar I've had, but at $30 a box, they're a hell of a deal.

Had a Arturo Fuente special selection and it was less than $2 a stick, and it was one of the best I've had so far, still waiting to smoke the higher ends though.

I'm with the guys that suggest Hemingway and Short Story. Those are some wonderful smokes from the Fuente line (I'm a Fuente whore myself). If you want to try something comparable from another line try Montecristo Platinum - they are a nice medium-body smoke with a lot of the cedar taste you might like.

If you like the curly heads, you ought to start smoking the higher end Fuentes like Añejos, Hemingways, etc. :thumbs:

Yep, they cost more but they are well worth it IMO.

858s were always one of my favorites, too. Especially the sungrowns.

858s were always one of my favorites, too. Especially the sungrowns.

Sungrown 858's are nearly impossible to find. However, a VERY close runner up and easy to find is the Cuban Belicoso usually priced at $5/per when ordering by the box.

Flor de Oliva Gold's :thumbs:

Bigjake,

Have you ever had the pleasure of lighting a good cigar from Bonfire? Several years I enjoyed the pleasure of lighting an AF maduro robusto off Bonfire. It always seemed to help us Beat the Hell out of tu!