• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ash

Bonfire Smoke

Bonfire Smoke
When I read cigar reviews the ash is always mentioned as either being anywhere from white to dark gray. Is there a significance to the color of the ash. My guess would be that a white ash was indicative of a clean burning stick. I do feel like I know that the ash being flakey may indicate the stick was not rolled as good as it should have been.

School me on the ash FOGs.

jef

In the words of the immortal Mr. Natural, "It don't mean shit". That's just my opinion. I'm sure to some, it's akin to reading entrails.

Doc.

It means if you don't put your ash in the tray it will eventually get on you!

Doc is about right, in scientific terms.

Do a search this has been discussed and dissected over the years.

The color of the ash can be attibuted to many things, wrapper type, filler type, soil, etc. It really has no bearing on the quality of the cigar.

Dave

however, a nice firm ash that doesn't flake or drop prematurely shows that the construction was done by someone who knew what they were doing. Poorly rolled cigars will burn funky and will flake.

also. I like a nice firm ash, makes my cigar stand up. ???

When I read cigar reviews the ash is always mentioned as either being anywhere from white to dark gray. Is there a significance to the color of the ash. My guess would be that a white ash was indicative of a clean burning stick. I do feel like I know that the ash being flakey may indicate the stick was not rolled as good as it should have been.

School me on the ash FOGs.

jef

Not a FOG, but this is a bit of a complicated subject. I may come back later and post about it here. You can look for a few things in ash.

-Jess.