• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ashton Benchmade

jnknzz

Shankopotamus
Ashton Benchmade Toro Natural 6"x50 (made by Pepin)
Strength: Medium
Wrapper: Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan (mixed)
Origin: Nicaragua

Pre-lit aroma was nothing special. Construction was fair with a few veins. Pig-tail came off easily. Pre-lit draws were just right and tasted earthy, but I could barely get past the cap...it was effin SPICY! Lit it up and I was off.

First 1/3: Once the spice of the cap settled down I picked up strong earthy tastes. That was it through the first third...earth (kinda dirty). Burn was perfect.

Second 1/3: The earthy taste subdued and the grass/hay flavor came out. Very strong grass flavor (I thought I was chewing hay out in the field). It was really overpowering. I wanted it to change to something tolerable so I didn't chuck it just yet. Burn still perfect.

Final 1/3: Although it never got too bitter or hot on the palate, both the earth and grassy flavor combined at the end. Still cool with plenty of smoke, the flavor remained very one-dimensional. Tried to finish it...couldn't, so it hit the stinky. Strength proved to be medium-full (I almost missed the ashtray) :whistling:

This was not a pleasant smoke. I didn't have the highest expectations for this considering the $2.80 price-tag. But I expected a lot more from Ashton, especially being made by the Don himself. Now, perhaps I got a dud from the box; I'm not ruling that out. I've got one of the Benchmade robustos waiting in the humi that I'll try soon to double-check my initial observations. As for now, I don't see this getting any better with age, nor do I see more of these heading towards my humi. I'd still like to hear everyone else's opinions of this smoke!!

Derek

Hopefully that benchmade will still be in the pass when it gets to me I've been wanting to try it and I'll post a reveiw.

Brian

Too bad it wasn't any good, we could use a good $2.80 cigar and this one seemed like it could be it considering who makes it and who sells it.

i noticed when i smoked the cigar while just twisting off the cap it got very acridic taste due to the excess of tar building up.
I have smoked about 10 of these in the past 3 days all very conistent and realy enjoyed this for a bundle. Remember all it is is a mix of scraps from the JJ and Blue.