• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ashton VSG Illusion

KStevenson

Ashton Virgin Sun Grown Illusion: 6.5 inches long, 44 ring.
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Binder: Dominican Filler: DominicanPicked up a pair of these to share with a friend. Both had silky smooth wrappers and were flawless in appearance. Surprisingly, one of the cigars was noticibly lighter in color than the other. Both, however, were a dark brown color. (Not quite maduro though.)Pre-light draw was a lot easier than I expected. I generally associate Fuente-made cigars with a somewhat tight draw, but this one was almost effortless. The taste was spicy and left a tingle on my lips.The VSG lit easily and produced a large volume of spicy and leathery smoke. This is a very full-bodied cigar. The flavor was thick and complex with lots of spice and leather. I almost immediately started feeling the nicotine. (On a full stomach no less!)The ash was a medium grey and fairly solid looking. When it dropped, it dropped cleanly. The burn was solid and consistent until about the halfway point. At halfway, the both my and my friends cigars started tunneling and needed to be corrected at regular intervals. The cigar doesn't taste nearly as good when tunneling. The majority of the flavor is locked up in the wrapper.We both smoked them down to past where the band would have been. I had to stay in my chair and recover for a while afterward, because the room was gently spinning! There's a lot of kick hiding in the VSG! Unlike other powerhouse cigars I've smoked, the VSG wasn't harsh or intimidating. The flavor, while thick and juicy, wasn't harsh or overpowering.Overall: My my my! That's a nice smoke. It smelled and tasted wonderful. I generally don't like that much nicotine buzz in my cigars, but this one tasted so good, I didn't realize that I had the spins until it was over. I was disappointed with the burn. My friend and I had to re-toast the wrapper every few minutes while smoking the last half of our cigars. This coupled with the unexpectedly loose draw makes me wonder if they were underfilled.Do I recommend this one? Certainly! Just be prepared for a very powerful smoke.

Agreed Keith. Although I prefer the larger ring Robusto, Beli, I did pick one of these up to try. Excellent flavor, and as for the draw I find that all of the VSG line has that same easy draw. Still got the Sorcerer and Spellbound sitting in the humi waiting for summer.

I've had a few of these and have found them to be nice smokes, but not complex at all. The one's I had were very straight forward and powerful! Black pepper flavors from start to finish. The draw was very easy too, much like the Opus. I smoked a belicoso VSG and a #2 Opus back to back and if I didn't know which one was which to begin with I would have thought they were the same cigar.

Hmmm....interesting comment Matt, comparing the VSG and the Opus. I'll this and see what I think.

Cool beans...nice review KStevenson (a voice from my early CP days)...are you still around? A little over a year seems like such a long time ago and yet so close too.

+JerryG

Nice review! They are a powerful smoke, I try to keep a few around for passes! :thumbs:

Gotta agree with Matt...he hit the nail right on the head. I have also smoked an Opus X and a Ashton VSG back to back for comparision and couldn't tell the difference. A VSG is the only cigar that has given me the "spins." Whoa momma!

This was a great review! I wish that there were more just like this.

Sam

I had this cigar last night and was a great cigar. Perhaps because of my newbie palette I didn't catch too much leather or pepper flavoring. For me I tasted thick bitter chocalate, spices and coffee. Not a harsh smoke but not sweet either. Thick and maliable it was a strong and full body cigar that I enjoyed for an hour and a half. All I could do - all I wanted to do while smoking this bad boy was to strech out on the couch and listen to music. A straight up 10 in my book.

Sam

I have found this cigar to be too strong and too spicey for me. It is a good cigar though.

Great review! :thumbs: The Illusion is a great smoke... one of my favorites in the VSG line!

Aloha,

Wade

I've had several VSG's and they were all very good smokes. Too bad i can't afford them as everyday smokes just special occasion smokes. :D

Hey, that's what make's 'em what they are. If you could have one everyday, they wouldn't be special, right?

FatherTiresius said:
Hey, that's what make's 'em what they are. If you could have one everyday, they wouldn't be special, right?
You absolutely right ! ???