• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ashton VSG Robusto

Swe-Mike

Just got home from the local pub where a few friends of mine and myself smoked some nice cigars. I just tried my very first Ashton VSG and I'm still amazed. It was definetely the best cigar so far. One thing that struck me was that it had a very "hard draw". I'm not sure you understand what I mean. I tried Azon's Davidoff Special Robusto, and it was way easier to "draw". As soon as I get my humidor in order I will buy a few more Ashton's and save them for a special occasion.

Believe me Mike, we know what you mean. Nothing ruins a great cigar like a hard draw in my opinion. May your next VSG have a nice easy draw :)

I dont think it was THAT heavy but if you compare to the Special R its rather heavy. ???

Sorry to hear about the heavy draw issue you had. I had a VSG Robousto last night myself and the draw was perfect for me. Real tasty cigar ;)

Sam

Glad to hear you guys liek the VSG so much.
I've got one in the humi that was sent to me from a generous fellow CP brother :D
I can't wait to smoke it.

Nothing ruins a cigar like a bad draw :( Do you cut or punch your stogies? I almost always punch and sometimes a bad punch will lead to a bad draw.

Has anyone tried using a draw poker? I haven't but am curious if they work well and if they can be used after the cigar is lit. It seems that you would have to use it after lighting because you wouldn't know you needed it until then.

gatorsmg said:
Has anyone tried using a draw poker?
Yup, often use the little plastic toothpick on the side of the SAK after the pre-light draw.

Hey cool! I have a SAK now and forgot that it also means I have a cigar poker as well. :thumbs:

I had a Ashton VSG Belicosos #1 last night. Being box pressed I have expected it to be a little on the tight side. If anything though it was just a little the other way. Didn't detract from it in any way. Man was that thing sweet! Didn't even last that long I was huffin on it so hard. Little problem with heat on my fingers as well. Very nice smoke. :thumbs:

Had a VSG Corona Gorda last night along with a couple of homebrewed stouts. I've had this cigar in the humi for about a year and a half and let me tell you, it has really aged gracefully. Very different than when they're new. The very first puff was full of chocolate and coffee that stayed with me through the whole thing. It was more spicy/peppery toward the end.

FatherTiresius said:
Had a VSG Corona Gorda last night along with a couple of homebrewed stouts. I've had this cigar in the humi for about a year and a half and let me tell you, it has really aged gracefully. Very different than when they're new. The very first puff was full of chocolate and coffee that stayed with me through the whole thing. It was more spicy/peppery toward the end.
*mutters something about now having to set aside a couple VSG's to try with some age on them* :angry:

Thanks for the input FT - gonna have to try them aged! :)

Sam

LOL @ Sam...

Think of your humidor as a pipeline. You put cigars in on end of the pipe and take them out the other. You want the time between when you put a cigar in and take it out to be measured in years. When you first start out it's measured in days but as you fill the pipe the time increases. Of course to make this work you have to put them in faster than you take them out.....for quite a while.

Yeah, that's true. While I still have a very small collection compared to most here I know about, my pipeline (outside of a couple regular everyday type cigars I try to keep on hand) used to be a week with a couple rare exceptions. Now it is about two months with the exceptions of my everyday smokes. And every purchase and buy-in helps out just a little more.

Maybe by the middle of next year I might be in a position to age for at least a year for the most part. Hoping to anyway LOL.

Sam

The VSGs are great. I like all of the various sizes, but prefer the Enchantment, Sorceror and Spellbound.

:thumbs: :thumbs:

doohnibor said:
The VSGs are great. I like all of the various sizes, but prefer the Enchantment, Sorceror and Spellbound.

:thumbs: :thumbs:
Damn...why do I have to hear about these.....they are out of stock everywhere.. Got some Belicoso #1 and Enchantments coming Monday :)

They seem to be hard to find sometimes. Will the VSG's be available for a few more years? How long do they consider the land "virgin"? ???