• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ashton VSG Tres Mystique (aged 2 years)

robbiex0r

scum
Ashton VSG Tres Mystique – aged 2 years
2d9xohl.jpg

Size: 4 3/8 x 44
Cigar Shape: Petit Corona
Cigar Filler: Dominican Republic
Cigar Binder: Dominican Republic
Cigar Wrapper: Ecuador
Country of Manufacture: Dominican Republic

Sorry for the lack of pictures, camera was on the fritz.

Pre-light: Cut was smooth, draw was perfect. There were very strong cedar flavors that I would attribute to this cigar’s lengthy slumber. The slight box press still held on with barely rounded corners. The Ecuadorian wrapper had a nice, even VSG-like color with excellent vein structure.

First Half: Toasting was very easy and full of thick smoke. At this point the people at the table next to me were discussing Cuban cigars, and smoking abroad. One of them was Norwegian. I also overheard something about having sex in Alaska. I noticed this cigar was strong on the palate, and I hoped that it would mellow out a bit. Think wisps of brilliant white smoke swirled about whenever I laid the cigar down. Even with larger puffs, the smoke remained cool. The flavor was a little strong, but did not leave a lingering unpleasantness.

The ash was quite flaky on the edges and a little firmer towards the middle. A long slow exhale numbed my tongue and this may have affected the rest of my experience. I picked up more hints of cedar in the voluminous smoke. There were other flavors present that I could not pinpoint.

About 20 minutes in, the flavor mellowed (yea, I’m a slow smoker).

30 minutes in, the Tres was still very mellow. The mix of exhaled smoke melded with the whitish blue resting smoke. This was right about the halfway point. From here on, the little cigar was very consistent in flavor and burn. Never a bit of trouble from the thin black ring. It dropped the ash about every quarter inch. Towards the end I caught a hint of a taste/scent of clove. I supposed it could have come from the hipsters next to me. It got a little hot toward the end and taking smaller hits eased the heat.

I really enjoyed this smoke, and I hope I get to enjoy many other cigars that were as tasty as this one. I must extend a heartfelt thanks to Mr. tomthirtysix for the hook up on this exquisitely aged Ashton.

One a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the best cigar smoking experience I’ve ever had (party culebra). I would give this about an 8.5.

These are my favorite VSGs, followed closely by the CG and Beli.

Excellent review. My second favourite VSG :thumbs:

Fantastic review!! One day too late :( Passed up this VSG in a box pass yesterday b/c I'm not fond of small smokes...well sounds like I should stop hatin` on the little guy. :whistling: :laugh:

Great review.

I love these little cigars.
They are great for my ride into work in the morning.

Another great small cigar (with big flavor) is the Padron 1926 #35.

I too have had one that was aged well. :) Very very tasty smoke! I love the whole VSG line just about. :)

Don

Nice review. I just got a 5'er of the Belicoso's, smoked one yesterday, needs some time still, going to revisit it around Christmas. Looks like I'll have to pick up a few of these as well.

Good review Robbie, thanks for doing it. I've only had two VSGs, the Enchantment and a fresh Tres. I got some burnt citrus out of both of them. Did you get that at all with yours?

Good review Robbie, thanks for doing it. I've only had two VSGs, the Enchantment and a fresh Tres. I got some burnt citrus out of both of them. Did you get that at all with yours?

I did not, though I'm not the best at detecting subtle flavors, nor do I exactly know what burnt citrus tastes like.

I did not, though I'm not the best at detecting subtle flavors, nor do I exactly know what burnt citrus tastes like.

Set a lemon on fire... and find out :p

Thanks for the review. For whatever reason, I have not yet smoked a VSG. I've been on a NC streak lately, so maybe I should make a VSG my next.