• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ashton VSG

vinnyvega

I've smoked a fair amount of 2008-09 rolled sticks. These are very good cigars. However, they pale in comparison to 2003-2005 rolled, IMO. I've been smoking fresh VSG CGs and am very disappointed. Anyone else finding that the VSG is not what it used to be? The dozen I've smoked that are 4-6 years old are phenomenal. I can't believe that letting a cigar age for a few years can have that big of difference. The flavors aren't even the same and the body seems to be fuller with the aged sticks. WTF?

I do know that the box of Illusions I bought a few years ago have never been surpassed. I have a few other vitola that are 2 or more years old. Maybe I'll smoke one tonight.

These is among my desert island cigars.

edit to clarify

Knowing that there are more years on one stick could sway your opinion on it. I do know that this happened with their Aroma de Cuba line. Cigars can be tricky sometimes. :whistling:

Well, I haven't yet had the privilege of trying one from previous years, but I do know that the one I had a couple months ago wasn't as good as I expected it to be. It was alright, but...disappointing.

I had one that was gifted to me from someone here and it was absolutely awesome!!!! I wish I knew enough to know what year, did the bands change or are they all the same year to year?

I was preoccupied earlier. The first VSGs I smoked were very full bodied with very chewy smoke. The mouth feel was incredible. The flavors were profound, full, and had a wonderful lasting finish. I went through a few boxes, with that box of illusion's being my last VSG purchase. Pepin hit the scene. VSG went to the wayside for a year or so as I sampled all of what Pepin had to offer. Subsequent purchases of VSG just don't seem to be of the same caliber. The local tobacconist, who actually does smoke cigars, asked me the same question once. So, you are not the lone ranger, Joe.

I agree that the newer, post 2005 or so, VSGs are not as good. I had a chance to compare, one after the other, an Enchantment from 2005 and one from a new box. This was about two years ago so it was most likely a 2007 box. Two very different tasting cigars with very different looking wrappers. The '05's was much lighter, less pronounced veins, and a more matte look. Much spicier wrapper than the new one. Of course, this cigar had more box age; but, I think the '05 was a better blend with better wrapper. Bunching was better, too.

I would tend to agree. I remember the first VSG I had back in 1999 or 2000. I had to lie down halfway through it. It was phenomenal. I smoked them religously for several years and then for some reason just stopped altogether. Perhaps my taste changed, I don't know.

Over the last couple of years each time I have one I'm left wanting more. I have one box left from '05. I'll smoke one tonight and report back.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed a drastic difference. My palate sucks too. That's gotta say something if even I can notice it! :p

I will say, the whole persona of an 'old band' probably did persuade my initial judgment. But after a smoking a fair share of each, something has changed. Or maybe smoking these fresh does not give these cigars justice.

I need to find some 2006 with the new bands. This may explain a lot.

And I thought the current ones were great smokes, the older version must be something else.

I feel the same way. Although, I split a box of real fresh TM (I think is said July 09) with a friend of mine - I haven't had any yet, but he said they're real good. Like almost 05 good. Maybe they're taking a step in the right direction.

I feel the same way. Although, I split a box of real fresh TM (I think is said July 09) with a friend of mine - I haven't had any yet, but he said they're real good. Like almost 05 good. Maybe they're taking a step in the right direction.

Atleast you can hope so when you go in on a full split. :p