• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Atkins Diet

I did it an lost about 25 pounds.
Then I got married and went on a cruise ship for the honeymoon... that damned boat helped me gain 7 back! :)
(I promised myself no rules on the honeymoon)

That was several weeks ago and I'm having a hard time getting back on track. But I NEED to!!!

CigarGuy said:
I did it an lost about 25 pounds.
Then I got married and went on a cruise ship for the honeymoon... that damned boat helped me gain 7 back! :)
(I promised myself no rules on the honeymoon)

That was several weeks ago and I'm having a hard time getting back on track. But I NEED to!!!
What's going to kill me is the holidays .... Thanksgiving especially.

I started it in May and lost 30 pounds in the first few months (190 -> 160). Since then, I've been maintaining pretty well. I've gone up to 165 but mostly because I've been hitting the weight pile lately. I want to stay at 165 as I gain muscle weight and thus get leaner. When I get over 165, I drop carbs for a few days and the weight comes right off. When I get down into the low 160's I feel like I can be a little bad.

Atkins fits in with weight training very well. You need a lot of protein to add muscle mass and you get it on this diet. At the same time, muscles are more expensive, metabolically-speaking, for the body to maintain. So just sitting still you burn more calories when you're lean than when you're fat. So in that sense being lean helps you stay lean.

I'll reiterate what Craig said. Don't cheat during induction. It is VERY important. You have to train your body to a new form of metabolism. Do at least 2 weeks but you can go longer if you want. I did it for a month and then added only 1 glass of wine per day to the induction diet for another 2 weeks. After that I slowly added carbs to my diet until I stopped losing weight. Now I don't really count every single carb but generally avoid bread, pasta, sweets, etc. Once in a while I will cheat and when I do I cheat big time! But it usually only costs me a pound or two which I know I can shed quickly.

My main weakness is beer. The beer I make is as good as most commercial beer and far better than Bud/Miller/Coors. And low carb it ain't, I assure you. But if I drink it in moderation I'm ok. And if I start putting on pounds, I just stop until I get back down where I need to be. If you don't like beer, you're in luck. Almost any other alcoholic drink is better than beer.

So good luck to the newcomers to Atkins. Stay with it. It works. The first two weeks are hard but when you get by that you've already done the hardest part of the diet. The rest is much easier. Hang in there.

A word of caution about staying on the start up part of the diet too long. The brain uses carbs to stay alive. A short period of no carbs isn't a problem, you'll kill more brain cells with a drink of whisky. I stayed with the start up for 2 months, and got migraines like you wouldn't believe. Dr. made me get off the diet. It's a great diet just don't over do it.

Mike

Wow, I'm 5'8" weighing in at about 225, I've got about 60ish pounds to lose and I'll be back down to high school weight! I think it may be time to give this a shot... Gotta show the wife this thread first though. I'm sure it would be easiest if we were both doing it together.

So what about rice? Chipotle (the restaurant) makes an awesome "Burrito Bowl" that I'm in love with - but it has a bottom layer of rice wich seems sort of pasta-like, and that's a bad thing, right?

I'm so confused!

Dave ;)

After reading all this, I have found that some of my fav. stuff is carbs. Gonna be hard to give them up. I am gonna go to the store this weekend and try to pick out food for a week or so (that is a GREAT idea) and try to get started next week.

Good luck to all those who started!!!!

Phil

everything that is good is full of carbs it seems.. i was shocked when i looked thru my fring and pantry, almost EVERYTHING was full of sugar. amazing.. no wonder we are all a buch of fat asses!

my mom, the girlfriend and myself are all starting on atkins next monday. i have to book, we have the plan, just gota do it... soo good luck to all!

Well, here's what you get for not calling the doctor first.

I've been having non-stop headaches for the past two days. It also happens to be time for my next visit to the doctor. I called his office today to schedule my visit, and I talked to the nurse. I told her about my headaches, and that I just started Atkins, and she placed me on hold to talk to the doctor. I thought "Hey, weird, normally they just note it and schedule the appointment." The doctor came on, and it went something like this:

Doc: Hey, Charlie! Coming to see me about your stomach?
Me: Yeah, I think I'm ready to get off those meds.
Doc: Good, good. Nelda told me you're on a diet?
Me: Yeah, doing Atkins. Having some headaches though.
Doc: Yeah, I saw your dad last friday. His blood tests show he's hypoglycemic.
Me: Ahh ...
Doc: That means his blood sugar is low - almost always. No low-carb diets.
Me: Okay, what does that have to do with me?
Doc: Headaches when you let your blood sugar go low are normal, especially if you're hypoglycemic. That goes for dizziness, shaking, and nervousness too. Get off the diet until you come see me, we'll do a few blood tests.

Yay. Really.

Guys, if you're going on this, call your doctor *first*!

good point.. i think most people forget that part. talk to the doc first...

i did buy a blood sugar tester. i wanted to see what my blood sugar does, guess im just a geek at heart. i also wanted to get a base line before i start.

here in about and hour, im going to eat some sugar filled pastry and see what happens! heheh, im at 84 blood sugar level now... wonder how much it will go up.

one strange thing was before dinner i was at 134! i waited a few hours, and had an atkins type dinner....then tested at 84. i do know i was drinking grape juice before i left for work...??? interesting stuff...

I've always been relatively athletic, and still work out at the gym several days a week, but.........I'm retired, and have alot of lazy time when I enjoy a few too many snacks.

When my weight crept beyond what I thought was healthy, I went on the Atkins Diet. Because many of those things that create roughage are absent from the diet, I was instructed by my physician to take a couple of Fibercon per day. He neglected to tell me that I should drink 8 to ten glasses of water. I didn't and the Fibercon apparently absorbed all the liquid in my intestinal tract. I now feel I can empathize with any woman going through childbirth.

"Hey, Steve, long time, no see, where have you been keeping yourself?"

"Well, yesterday, I spent the day trying to pass a concrete bowling pin."

Go on Atkins>>>Drink much water!!

Back