• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Augusto Reyes Cigars?

brianetz1

Remember i am really new to cigars.....How are Augusto Reyes cigars? There is a sampler at CI.com for REALLY cheap and it includes Criollo, Epicur, Grand Cru, Maduro, and Nativo. Never smoked these, but they come out to less than $1.50 a stick. I am wondering if they are good quality smokes and getting that pack will give me a good variety to figure out what kind of smokes I might llike.

I did some google searching and they review out decently. Just want some "experienced" smokers to weigh in....

You'll hear this a lot, but smoke what you like. It's hard for someone to suggest cigars for you without knowing your particular tastes.
Maybe you could ask the question, "I really enjoy (insert cigar name), is there a less expensive cigar with similar flavors?".

Good luck brother,
Ian

Brian, slow down a little, take a deep breathe and share your current experiences with us. As thefatguy just said, there is no right or wrong to the cigar, it is what is does or does not due for you.

Surely you have a decent B&M in St. Louis. Go there, explain what you think talks to your taste buds and buy some. If you find something you like in that group, go back and ask what might be similar to that profile, or perhaps milder or stronger. Even the size of the cigar will cause changes in how you perceive it.

Once you do this for a bit, bring your experiences back here and share with us for an opinion only.

Here is my suggestion for you. Padron 2000, both natural and Maduro . Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 ( the can be natural, Maduro, rosado etc.) Liga Privada #9 ( if you can find it ) and a LP Undercrown. Last get a La Flor, if you are into Maduro try and find a cabinet Maduro #5 or #6 cause they set the bar on a truly fine Maduro.

Try the above and come back and share your experiences.

Happy hunting,

Ed

You'll hear this a lot, but smoke what you like. It's hard for someone to suggest cigars for you without knowing your particular tastes.
Maybe you could ask the question, "I really enjoy (insert cigar name), is there a less expensive cigar with similar flavors?".

Good luck brother,
Ian
Brian, slow down a little, take a deep breathe and share your current experiences with us. As thefatguy just said, there is no right or wrong to the cigar, it is what is does or does not due for you.

Surely you have a decent B&M in St. Louis. Go there, explain what you think talks to your taste buds and buy some. If you find something you like in that group, go back and ask what might be similar to that profile, or perhaps milder or stronger. Even the size of the cigar will cause changes in how you perceive it.

Once you do this for a bit, bring your experiences back here and share with us for an opinion only.

Here is my suggestion for you. Padron 2000, both natural and Maduro . Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 ( the can be natural, Maduro, rosado etc.) Liga Privada #9 ( if you can find it ) and a LP Undercrown. Last get a La Flor, if you are into Maduro try and find a cabinet Maduro #5 or #6 cause they set the bar on a truly fine Maduro.

Try the above and come back and share your experiences.

Happy hunting,

Ed

thanks for replying and the advice......i was beginning to think this community wasn't very welcoming.

I shared what i am in the intro thread. Basically never really kept track of what i smoked....mostly smoked cheapies, and wanted to pick up the hobby and am looking for some guidance. Wife got me a small humidor and a sampler. Still trying to figure out what i like and what i don't.

Once i get rid of the stuff i got with my humidor i will be interested in doing the newbie trade, but until then just looking for advice on extra stuff.

Again, thanks for the advice and guidance.

I've tried I believe 5 different blends of Augusto Reyes cigars. Although I personally probably won't buy any more of them (I only know that because I tried them) I recommend you try them to gain knowledge.

Experiment, have fun. That's what it's about!

In the Cigar Reviews forum, pinned at the top of the forum, is a thread called "Index Page for Reviews." If you click on that thread, the first post has a link to a review database. It's got every review ever posted in the Review forum. You can use the keyword search at the top to search and see if any of his cigars were ever reviewed here. I believe they used to be called Reyes Family, so you may want to search "Reyes" instead of "Augusto Reyes".

I've tried I believe 5 different blends of Augusto Reyes cigars. Although I personally probably won't buy any more of them (I only know that because I tried them) I recommend you try them to gain knowledge.

Experiment, have fun. That's what it's about!
In the Cigar Reviews forum, pinned at the top of the forum, is a thread called "Index Page for Reviews." If you click on that thread, the first post has a link to a review database. It's got every review ever posted in the Review forum. You can use the keyword search at the top to search and see if any of his cigars were ever reviewed here. I believe they used to be called Reyes Family, so you may want to search "Reyes" instead of "Augusto Reyes".

I appreciate the feedback.

Here is my personal feeling:

Many of you have been smoking for years and years and your personal feedback on specific brands of cigars as to whether they are worth a crap or not holds a lot of weight to those of us who have picked it up recently.

I searched for these cigars and looked in the reviews thread and the only cigar on the list was the Nativo and while the review was straight forward there was no additional feedback.

As a "noob" i would rather lean on the collective experience and feeling of a message board of your size before making a snap purchase when i have no clue what i am even buying. I do have a couple of B&Ms around here, but to be honest they aren't the greatest shops in the world. So i would rather come to a place like this that has thousands of members, hundreds who are active, and ask what you guys think about a specific cigar. If i can find a thread on a specific cigar i will just refer to that, but if i can't is it OK to ask the members as a whole for this type of info?

The info from Pugman was much appreciated and the info from broblues was even more appreciated. If a cigar is a dog, call a spade a spade and help us noobs out.

thanks to all of you. I really appreciate all the different takes!

If i can find a thread on a specific cigar i will just refer to that, but if i can't is it OK to ask the members as a whole for this type of info?

Absolutely. The reason I brought up the index is, quite often, pinned threads get lost in the mix, and that one thread is a potential gold mine of information.

We are all here to help each other, you included. The problem is that we all have different tastes. I, personally, an not a big fan of Opus, but many people here are. That is just one example.

We are all here to help each other, you included. The problem is that we all have different tastes. I, personally, an not a big fan of Opus, but many people here are. That is just one example.

completely understandable, but if overall people here like Opus it is worth my time try it out. If the overwhelming majority don't like something specific then i know i am steering clear of it because many of you know better than I.

One example is Thompson's cigars......I get so much stuff from them and their prices on some things are so discounted, i was on the verge of buying a sampler from them but stopped because of the searches i did here and I am confident I made the right decision after seeing the issues that many had with them.

Again, thanks to everyone for their help to this noob. It is greatly appreciated.

In my early days with this hobby, I smoked some Reyes and believe I still have some somewhere in my humidor.

In my opinion, they are so so smokes for a beginner. I smoked them for a while in the beginning (because they were cheap) until my palate requested something more refined with

complexity, instead of just smoke, I think your money would be better spent seeking out one of the retailers who are members of this board.

I'm sure if you told them what you are interested in and how much you wanted to spend, they would outfit you well, so you can continue on your journey to finding out

what you like and what you don't . Good luck.

Everyone's taste is different and you have to search many a cigar to find the style or variety that's for you.

In my early days with this hobby, I smoked some Reyes and believe I still have some somewhere in my humidor.

In my opinion, they are so so smokes for a beginner. I smoked them for a while in the beginning (because they were cheap) until my palate requested something more refined with

complexity, instead of just smoke, I think your money would be better spent seeking out one of the retailers who are members of this board.

I'm sure if you told them what you are interested in and how much you wanted to spend, they would outfit you well, so you can continue on your journey to finding out

what you like and what you don't . Good luck.

Everyone's taste is different and you have to search many a cigar to find the style or variety that's for you.

thanks for the info.

once i get some cash on hand, i will definitely hit up the members of the board who are retailers.

brianetz1...try the Newbie Sampler Thread. I think that would be a good jumping off point for you. For $50 you will get a variety of cigars across the spectrum that many experienced BOTLs here enjoy and/or think are a good value.

And I love them, but I'm not a huge fan of Anejo. Many is not most would say that's crazy! To each his own!

brianetz1...try the Newbie Sampler Thread. I think that would be a good jumping off point for you. For $50 you will get a variety of cigars across the spectrum that many experienced BOTLs here enjoy and/or think are a good value.

Not to mention on top of having a vast variety of cigars, you'll also get a hell of a bang for you buck.

as i said a few times in this thread, once i get some cash in hand i will be doing that. Right now i just have a bunch of visa gift cards....so online retailers and B&Ms are where i am shopping.

Back