• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

blair

I'm trying to use images hosted from my ftp server for my avatar but it doesn't work? Here is the link that I tried to use: ftp://68.100.208.176/gifs/largemouth.jpg

Any ideas?

PS. It is the same image that I am currently using for my avatar, but it is coming from another site (ie not the ftp server). And I'd like to be able to serve it from the ftp server instead.

blair said:
I'm trying to use images hosted from my ftp server for my avatar but it doesn't work? Here is the link that I tried to use: SNIP

Any ideas?

PS. It is the same image that I am currently using for my avatar, but it is coming from another site (ie not the ftp server). And I'd like to be able to serve it from the ftp server instead.
It's because you are referencing an FTP url inline. You need to enter in the HTTP reference-point to that URL (which would normally be something like:
Code:
SNIP
... but that isn't it in this case - so it might translate into an HTTP URL however your ISP defines each user's home webspace box, such as .../homeboxes/~user_blair/gifs/... etc. (<-- That's just an example, I don't know what your ISP maps FTP boxes to HTTP web space).

So basically - what you need to do is call up or email SNIP and ask them, "Hey... that FTP space I'm using - what is the HTTP URL that maps to it? If I put up a page called, "bob.html" in the root directory of the FTP site - how would I point someone to it through a Web browser (and not using the FTP protocol through the browser)..." or something like that. This also assumes that your FTP storage evens has a corresponding web site that maps to it... etc.

SNIP

Or, actually, I wonder if it matters. Is the avatar image saved locally on the CP servers? Or is it served from the original website? I wanted to have it come from my ftp (instead of the original website) because if the original website changed I figured I would loose the avatar image. But if it is saved locally on the CP servers, then it really doesn't matter.

blair said:
Or, actually, I wonder if it matters. Is the avatar image saved locally on the CP servers? Or is it served from the original website? I wanted to have it come from my ftp (instead of the original website) because if the original website changed I figured I would loose the avatar image. But if it is saved locally on the CP servers, then it really doesn't matter.
It matters. It isn't saved on the CP servers... This site/application doesn't save any images locally as far as I know.

[edited]

Actually, the ftp server is just a simple [edited] that is running on a machine in my house. So, there is no map.

SNIP! (Post edited for size and content)

AAAHHH!

Then all you need to do is create a Web site in SNIP under your base URL, and make sure that Web site maps to the same directory as the root of your FTP server...

- Oak

Also - here's another word of advice: For security reasons - Delete any information about your system out of your original posts (I'll delete it out of mine where I quoted) including the IP, location of where it's hosted, and server software type.

- Oak

Hey Oak. Can you see my avatar? It appears to be working but I want to make sure it is working outside of the intranet.