• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Avo LE 05

Benzopyrene

Avo LE05
Binder- Ecuadorian
Filler- Dominican
Wrapper- Dominican
Size- Robusto
Length- 5 3/8 x 52

AvoLE05001.jpg

The wrapper on this cigar was a nice dark, wet earthy color that was veiny and rough in texture. There were a few flaws in the wrapper including a few small blemishes, a small triangular tear along the edge of the wrapper about midway up the cigar, and a cap…. Well, let’s just say the inspectors were in a hurry to get home on Friday. Pre-light the cigar had a nice supple tobacco aroma, that reminded me of being in the rolling room of a cigar factory, and there was no evidence of any residual ammonia. The ash was a mixture of dark grey and white subtly stacked on top of one another like a viscous fluid being poured onto a solid surface and layering upon itself. It was sturdy and I only ashed the cigar 3 times at each third.

AvoLE05006.jpg

The draw was pristine with just enough resistance to smoke at a gentleman’s pace and enjoy the flavors of the thick bountiful smoke. Watching the smoke dance in the wind around me like a child, I couldn’t help but enjoy the simplistic nature of it. The burn on this cigar was probably its worst feature. It took a landscaping appearance akin to the rolling hills of Central Texas from the start, and then evolved into more of a mountainous backdrop, at which point I decided to play God and send fire upon the world to make it even again.

AvoLE05007.jpg

The first few puffs of the cigar were filled with a strong nutty core that changed almost instantly thereafter into a leathery foundation. The flavors then began to dual and I could taste them both before the cigar reached a ceasefire and the nutty core took over and mellowed into a medium bodies smoke on my palate and began to develop complexity at about the first inch. The first hints of were that of cocoa and a complex flavor I can only describe as something that reminded me of chewing on raw sugar cane. At the halfway point the nutty core was covered in a flavor that reminded me of hazelnut coffee, and nuggets of dark chocolate. It was really too sweet for me personally, but it was very different than I remembered this cigar. These flavors persisted throughout the second third as well as the finale. It never got hot or harsh, and I almost wished I had smoked this cigar with a cup of tea, as the profile seemed to be of the type that would complement a nice Earl Grey.

Personally, I found this cigar to be very unique. I’m not convinced I’ve ever had such a sweet cigar before and it definitely intrigued me. As far as what I expected, well, I’ve smoked one of these before and it was very full bodied and very leathery without much in the way of anything resembling sweetness, so as you might imagine this was quite a shocker.

Appearance- 11
Ash- 9
Draw- 10
Burn- 5
Flavor/Blend- 18
Uniqueness- 8
Smoke- 10
Finish- 15
Total- 86/100

Great review Luke. I enjoy reading your thoughts on the cigars.

The draw was pristine with just enough resistance to smoke at a gentleman’s pace and enjoy the flavors of the thick bountiful smoke. Watching the smoke dance in the wind around me like a child, I couldn’t help but enjoy the simplistic nature of it. The burn on this cigar was probably its worst feature. It took a landscaping appearance akin to the rolling hills of Central Texas from the start, and then evolved into more of a mountainous backdrop, at which point I decided to play God and send fire upon the world to make it even again.

Great review Luke, I couldn't help but say that the above part was my favorite part of the review, very descriptive, involving, and poignant with a dash of humor.

I liked it!

Thanks guys. Glad you all enjoy reading them. I love writing them, which is funny because I really dont enjoy writing anything else. Cheers!

Once again, great review :thumbs: I haven't tried the LE05 previously, but now you've peaked my interest.

Great review of a cigar I've tried twice and never "got".

Just too mild for me, I think.

Since I am not really posting a review I thought it best to dig up an older thread than start a new one.

I smoked an OR LE05 over the weekend and was absolutely thrilled with the cigar. When they came out I bought several boxes as I thought they would might turn into something special. I smoke one every few months to see how they are coming along. The one I smoked this past weekend really is near its peak. I do not remember getting so much spice out of an LE05 before. As usual, it burned very well and drew perfectly.

If you have any of these stowed away, give one a try again. I have always enjoyed this cigar, but they seem to be hitting their prime now (for me, at least). Of course, since I know they are mild-medium, I made sure it was the first smoke of the day, early in the day. Smoking another cigar before this one will definitely mute the subtlety and complexity I find in the LE05.

This is in my top 5 sticks. I just wish I would have bought more when they first came out.

Anyone have a box they want to sell/trade? ???

This is in my top 5 sticks. I just wish I would have bought more when they first came out.

Anyone have a box they want to sell/trade? ???

One of my top 5 as well. Just 2 left.... One is an OR I got from Scott at The Outlaw. God bless those guys.

Great review!

I smoked an OR on Sunday and it was a really good cigar but it didn't really leave me wanting to go searching for more.