• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Baccarat Rothschild (5x50)

Alifbaa

A bunch of us out here in the sandbox got together and did a group cigar buy. The guy putting it together concentrated on mild-medium bodied cigars for the newer smokers among us. Naturally, the Baccarat made its way into the order as a result.

It was 2am, and we had just gotten done with a long day of flying. The mission was pretty successful, particularly because one of my troops that was having trouble keeping up with the learning curve stepped up and did a great job. On the way out the door, I promised the crew that if we did well I'd reward the MVP with a cigar from my "private selection," and he earned it. I gave him an Arturo Fuente, my favorite go-to cigar. I decided to try the Baccarat. Up onto the roof we went, to our squadron smoke pit with a great view of the flightline. It's windy, dusty, dark and the seats aren't that great, but time spent with friends and cigars is always welcome!
This is my first review, so any feedback would be much appreciated! Sorry for the lack of pictures.

The Baccarat was well constructed. At 5x50, it was well proportioned. The label is an interesting design that looks good against the light brown wrapper.

After toasting the foot, I put the cigar in my mouth and immediately tasted what seemed like sugar cane. I had been told these were sweet, but this was unexpected to me. Reading further on this cigar; I came to find out they put a sweetgum coating on the head, a tradition going back to earlier times. I like my cigars natural, and this was clearly something added after the fact, so I personally didn't find this particular experience rewarding. Pressing on, I lit the cigar with some difficulty.

The first third was a bit harsh -- perhaps because I had to use a disposable lighter to get it started (butane is hard to find out here and my lighter ran out). The back of my throught burned and the taste was "off." This, class, is why we don't use Bics on cigars! The burn was even once I got it going, and the harshness soon dissipated to the mild taste I had expected all along.

The second third was again mild, perhaps even approaching tasteless. Bland would certainly be an accurate description. The smoke was thick with an easy draw, exactly as it should be and the burn was only slightly uneven. The sweetgum coating dissipated to reveal a very mild tobacco taste.

The final third was more of the same, the sweetness now gone from the head. All that was left was a very mild cigar. Not unpleasant, but certainly not complex or rewarding.

In the final analysis, it would seem the reason for the sweetgum coating is to provide a "wow factor" to an otherwise completely unremarkable cigar. I'm a fan of the occassional mild cigar and enjoy how a good one will let my palate dissect the flavors more simply.

To me, a cigar with sugar on the head but without any depth to the tobacco is just a flavored cigar. You can get those for a lot less money than the Baccarat. Perhaps there is a place in the cigar world for the "candy coating" tradition, but I don't think the Baccarat's will find there way into my humidor again.

--Alifbaa

Thanks for the review. I'd seen these for sale at NeptuneCigars.com and had contemplated adding a couple vitolas to a custom sampler but you've done my taste test for me.

Are you up at JBB? I'm down in Baghdad and if you're ever this way for a couple days, send me a PM and we'll see about an impromptu herf.

Nice review for your first one.

I thought it was kinda funny about how bad the stogie was.

We've all been there and you keep hoping it will get better.

Montana-

I was just down at Victory three weeks ago! That will likely be my last trip that way before I go home, but I'll definitely keep you in mind. You do the same. There's almost always 3 or 4 of us willing to smoke!

Alifbaa

When, I first started smoking cigars I loved these. Wow, how my tastes have changed.

I, too, used to like the sweet-tipped Baccarat as a follow up to a having a "strong" cigar. Now I start strong and don't stop until I can't feel my teeth.

John

I've gone through a couple of boxes of the luchadores, I like the flavor of the Honduran tobacco in this blend. Since they are a regular lineup, I hope they are still around when I switch to more reasonably priced sticks in my daily routine. I think they are worth revisiting when you have an inkling to hang with an old friend.