• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Back From Vacation

botl43

To all those writing to me and thinking I died. I'm alive and well thank you. :D Just got back from a ten day trip to paradise. San Luis County were I grew up. I camped in the state park behind Morro bay.
EST1.JPG

Back of the Golf course across from the Natural History Museum.

Weather was great. I spent my time, driving all over. Getting to see a lot of the old time ranchers and touching bases with folks I haven't seen in twenty years or more..

One of the best highlights, was as I was driving towards Cambria on the 101. My cousin says turn here, I have to talk to a man about a boat.. Yea right!
We drive into a large valley ranch. Beautiful green hills all around. As we drive up the way he points to a drive that goes into a grown over yard. Gets out and says.. "Stay here let me give a yell. This guy might shoot you, if he doesn't know you.. Gives a whistle.. Hello the house!"
So we go up this grown over walk way to a dingy cabin of sorts.. As I walk up, I see this grizzly old guy, long hair Grizzly Adams beard. He's got this red colored liquid he's squeezing through a crank press. Ends up being cactus apples. He's got this Hydrometer floating. figuring out what the sugar content is for his mix. Guys making a batch of Temescal, Tequila.. One of the most intelligent colorful people I've ever met. Liked him so much I kept coming back over the next few days. Got to know him pretty well.
Seems the guy makes his own hooch. Had a batch of Rum he had started. and was going to do a batch of temescal to round out his yearly supply. I learned more about the surrounding area and my family then I ever have from this guy. Ranch hand and old family ties that go way back to my grandfathers day.. His family like mine is six generation native Californian.

Now to the interesting topical part of the story. As I'm sitting there on the first day I notice him pull out this tin and proceed to start rolling a smoke. I ask him about it. He turns me around to a along open ended tin roof shed behind me. I look in and see a row of tobacco hanging on string's. His last years crop of tobacco. Seems the guy grows his own rolling tobacco in a small field by the house. Has it down to a science. One of the smartest men I have ever met, knowledgible in may things.. He's a shipwright has built several large schooner type boats in the area. A licensed ship captain fishing off and on over the years out of Morro bay. Has native Indian blood in him. One of the few folks that get to climb Morro Rock a couple times a year. Indians climb the rock for ceremonies. Only others allowed to go up on the rock are the rangers.

Took a picture of his Tobacco Label. Probably wont ever see anything but the wall of his cabin but it's a nice piece of work non the less. :thumbs:

imga0008nr6.jpg

Cool story, Mark. My sister is a hippy - rolls her own, too. :)

I like the central coast. How far north did you go?

Cambria is about as far North as I go on most trips. Was thinking about treaking farther north to the Big Sir area, but after watching the folks that came in and stayed for one or two nights, then broke camp. I came to realize it's a lot of work breaking down camp and setting it up again all the time.. Just easer to set up and stay a few days in one spot. Use it as you'r rally point and drive out from there. Without having to break camp all the time from one spot to the other..

If your into it Effenwill, check out the spot I stayed at in Morro Bay<===Linky Real nice place with all the amenaties including Wi-Fi hook up.. Lot of the folks that came in, were from over the hill in Paso or Atascadero.. Brought there kids bikes and let them ride all over the place. Since it has a 10 mile an hour speed limit and rangers are all over the place. Real safe little spot for the kids.. Seemed to be what it was all about for them. Get away from the house and to a little cooler climate for the weekend..

See ya when I see ya!

Did you check out any of the wineries close by? When we lived in Visalia we used to head over to the central coast every 3 months to hit the wineries and stock up.

Lou

That is a wild story. It is amazing how many guys like that probably live across the country. Just keep to themselves, probably everyone is scared of them thinking they are weird and they are just great guys that don't want to be bothered.

Dave

Bottle,

Glad you had a good time. Stop in and see us some time.

Josh