• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Backup Power Supply

Sunward

another brother
I am having problems with APC backup model xs 1000.

It is totally fried after 14 months, and last one lasted 2 months.

What do you use?

and what do you recommend? (for home/office computer, laser fax etc..)

TIA

Nothing, no one would dare put my power out without my permission. They know who I am. lol

I've had good luck with the APC products. I do replace the batteries about every year though to keep them in good shape.

Apparently my power company frequently diverts my power to Master as I lose it at least once a week. It does explain it though. :D

At work we use Toshiba UPS's. They are excellent, albeit a bit pricey.

I am having problems with APC backup model xs 1000.

It is totally fried after 14 months, and last one lasted 2 months.

What do you use?

and what do you recommend? (for home/office computer, laser fax etc..)

TIA

Define totally fried, please. In my experience, APC is one of the best engineered on the market. I have to admit that I haven't had to deal with power for a number of years. CEOs change and products change.

I use only APC... and I like bmd34202, change my batteries once a year.

Haven't had a problem yet.

I contacted APC in New York, and they advised me that it is an overload issue, meaning the transformer is fried likely due to my laser copier being plugged into it, and taking a large draw at one time. So in all fairness, they are replacing it, after 14 months (warranty up to 24 months), FOR FREE :) . All i have to do is return the unit to a town 45 minutes from here.

I have nothing negative to say, im very pleased with APC customer service.

And Harris, i wont be buying power from you anymore :p .

I dont have any experience with APC power supplies, but I do use a True Sinewave inverter for my backup power. They are spendy, about a dollar a watt for a good one. Lucky for me, I work for the company, and get a substantial discount! :thumbs: Down side with an inverter, you have to supply your own batteries. That can get expensive, and take up alot of space.

Bill

Always.

I would look into the TRIPP lite corporation.
They have the BEST UPS systems for PC's. From rack mountable systems to home use.

I contacted APC in New York, and they advised me that it is an overload issue, meaning the transformer is fried likely due to my laser copier being plugged into it, and taking a large draw at one time. So in all fairness, they are replacing it, after 14 months (warranty up to 24 months), FOR FREE :) . All i have to do is return the unit to a town 45 minutes from here.

I have nothing negative to say, im very pleased with APC customer service.

And Harris, i wont be buying power from you anymore :p .

That could explain it. The fuser on those critters can run up 3000 watts for several minutes at a time. It'd have to be a pretty beefy UPS to take that one on. With respect, I don't advise carrying this load on your UPS. Use the APC surge protector and live without it during a power failure.

Hey Sunward,
I'm going to be purchasing an APC shortly as I've had some power outages that have scared the bejeezus out of me when my computer just cuts out.

I've a good friend who says that APC is very reliable. The only thing I'm not sure of is how to decide which back up to buy for what I use?

Anyone have any ideas?

Darren

Hey Sunward,
I'm going to be purchasing an APC shortly as I've had some power outages that have scared the bejeezus out of me when my computer just cuts out.

I've a good friend who says that APC is very reliable. The only thing I'm not sure of is how to decide which back up to buy for what I use?

Anyone have any ideas?

Darren

Right now, my computer is drawing 156 watts, thats a tower with 3 fans, and an HP crt style monitor, router, etc..

I am allowed up to 780 watts with the 1200 XS model, so have plenty of extra. I have been advised (by APC) to have only the computer system hooked up, not the copier/fax unit, as it burns out the transformer. Like i said this unit is more than enough. I could get away with have the sized unit. What i really like, is it filters noise/spikes/surges as well.

Maybe try the main website

APC products

I have 6 in use and 2 upstairs in the box.
I purchased 6 belkin 1000VA from a deal they put out every few months....got them cheap.I also have an apc 800 and a triplite 600.I have no problems with any of them and only use one with the software.
I use one on my tv/cable box and another for my modem/voip phone.
The others may be used for my armoir humidor when it's done....since my town loves going dark in the summer and winter.

I recently had to replace my PC's power supply after a series of rapid-fire dropouts/surges courtesy of the Matanuska Electric Association. Bastards.

After replacing the PS, I plugged it into a new APC XS Series 800VA unit...just enough capacity (~24 minutes or so) to let me complete critical tasks, save my work, and shutdown at my leisure. It's already caught more dropouts so as far as I'm concerned, it's already paid for itself.

Honestly, if you have anything other than amonitor, PC,or router, then you are doing an injustice to your system. APC all the way here. At home and at work. Power outages can lose a document or two, but the brown outs and power surges kill hard drives, memory, processors, OS's, etc. With a dedicated UPS comes data reliability.

Emo