• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bad tasting cigars...

Shagaroo

Recently I smoked a couple different cigars that were recommended to me that tasted like what I imagine a flaming tire would taste like. The two cigars were a Helix Super 8 and a Punch Gran Cru. What I understand is the Helix is a decent cigar and the Punch is supposed to be a pretty good cigar. Were these cigars to "young" or did I get bad information and they normally taste like burning rubber?

I am new to cigars and just purchased a humidor so I have been mostly smoking the cigars within a day or 2 of purchasing them.

Many cigars are way wetter than optimal at cigar stores and especially online merchants.

That wouldn't make a great cigar taste like burning rubber though. It would just make the cigars not burn as well and would alter the taste somewhat.

Plastic has been found in cigars before........

Lets just hope that is not what you smoked last night. You did take the bands OFF right?

How about the cello? you removed that too?

LOL

I tried a Helix and they are not for me, now the punch however is a good cigar. SO I don't know what the problem was, but burning rubber should not have been one of them.

better luck next time

Try a Onyx Reserve Mini Belicoso.............They are good smokes when you first start out.

Phil

Shagaroo said:
Recently I smoked a couple different cigars that were recommended to me that tasted like what I imagine a flaming tire would taste like. The two cigars were a Helix Super 8 and a Punch Gran Cru. What I understand is the Helix is a decent cigar and the Punch is supposed to be a pretty good cigar. Were these cigars to "young" or did I get bad information and they normally taste like burning rubber?

I am new to cigars and just purchased a humidor so I have been mostly smoking the cigars within a day or 2 of purchasing them.
If you got TWO cigars of a different type that BOTH turned out that way, I'd stay the "H - E - Double Hockey Sticks" AWAY from wherever you bought them.

Sounds like they have some MAJOR storage problems.

Punch Gran Cru Maduros are one of my favorites but are probly not the best for rookies. They are pretty full bodied. You might want to break yourself in with some milder fair. Try some:

AVO
Diamond Crown
Griffins
Montecristo

BTW, Welcome to CP!

As Craig said the Punch GCM is not a cigar for the new guy, I like them and think they are a tastey smoke........

But some of you know what I think of the Helix Brand, and since you are new ....here is my take on the Helix line of smokes,
You say it tasted like a flaming tire, Well that would be a step up from the few Helix I have smoked... or should I say, Tossed out in the yard after taking a few drags.

Just say no to HELIX...............THEY SUCK THE OLD GOAT BAG!!!!!!!!!

LMAO Styx. TFF.

But agreed.

I'll also agree with lucasbuck. AVOs are great cigars for starters... heck, they're great cigars for vets too. AVOs are my go-to smokes. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Padrons are excellent too. You'll get hooked. Thats what got me. :)

Helix=goat bag sucking... Got it... :D

I will keep my second Punch in the humidor and let it rest.

You are right about the Padron's vewyphishy. When I first decided to try cigars I bought a 5 pack sampler. I had decided cigar smokers must be insane to like them so much. Then I tried a Padron 2000 and the next weekend I purchased a humidor and 8 Padron's plus a few others to try. :)

I usually have around 150-200. Right now, probably a bit on the low end, but always seem to fill it right back up.

ALostTexan

Try Dunhills, Ashtons, Macanudo (not Robustos), and Romeo/Julieta's for a mild starter.

Punch has got to be one of the most consistant cigar brands around. I've been smoking them for at least 25 years and have not ever had a bad one. Smoked a Punch Grand Cru Britania today. Great burn and flavor. I had to put it down a couple of times and it went out, so I had to relight it. No bitterness with the relights though. :thumbs:

What did you light them with? If you use a bad source of fire that can wreck the whole smoke.

Try the Macanudo Baron De Rothschild or the Macanudo Maduro Hyde Park. They are good light smokes and pretty easy to get ahold of. Welcome to CP. :D

one word, Padron!

LOL these Miami guys, ricmac25, cigah_smokah and gatorsmg (I think?) are a few of the Padron fans around here. I like them too, especially the PAM (maduro) 1926's but they are expensive and hard to get, BUT well worth it.

I am fast becoming a Padron fan :)

Ricmac25 taught me well ;)

cigah_smoka said:
We've recruited another one!! LOL! :sign: :sign: :p
1928_maduro_moneyshot.jpg

I too dislike Helix. They had no taste at all. Could not get much burning rubber taste from that. Never really had a bad Punch. How fast so you smoke? Too much puffing can make a cigar taste bad.