• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Balvenie Golden Cask vs Caribbean Cask

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
I have seen two different Balvenie bottlings which very similar to one another and was wondering if anyone can explain the differences on them for me. The 14yr Balvenie Golden Cask which I saw at a Duty Free and the 14yr Balvenie Caribbean Cask which I bought at the local ABC store appear on the surface to be the same. What are the differences and why has Balvenie decided to bottle 2 different 14yr old vintages from rum barrels?

Maybe different rum barrels, i.e. not "Caribbean"? Or maybe one is just a "duty free" special release/label.

I'd snatch it up if I were you. Both of 'em!

The Golden Cask is a "travel retail only" release, is stronger (47.5% ABV) and is un-chill filtered. The Caribbean Cask is 43%, and probably chill filtered. I can't find anything about the period spent in rum casks, but it could certainly be different, or different rums. I'd definitely get the Golden Cask now, and as the Caribbean Cask is part of the standard line now, you can get it any time if you want (although what I've seen of the reviews say it's not anything all that special).

The golden cask is Cuban rum casks vs. the Caribbean rum casks.

The golden cask is Cuban rum casks vs. the Caribbean rum casks.

I haven't seen anything stating the Golden Cask is Cuban rum casks (everything I've read just says "Caribbean" rum), although there was a Balvenie Cuban Selection that used Cuban rum casks.

The Balvenie Golden Cask uses "Gold" rum casks for finishing while the Caribbean Cask uses mostly "Silver" rum casks. The Golden Cask is the better of the two but they both do pretty well with a maduro IMO.

I enjoyed the Caribbean Cask, but Benriach's Dark Rum 15 absolutely blows it away. Now, that is a rum casked Scotch with some serious cojones!

~Boar

Top dog is still the long vanished Glenfiddich Havana Reserve.I plan to finish my last bottle for the Super Bowl. :(

Thanks guys. However, I started this post with my interest in two bottles, and now it has expanded thanks to AVB, rbbrock and Not A Nice Person. Thanks guys, I'm well into 2012's liquor budget and its not even February.

Just as an FYI, no Balvenie is chill filtered.

The Golden Cask is a "travel retail only" release, is stronger (47.5% ABV) and is un-chill filtered. The Caribbean Cask is 43%, and probably chill filtered. I can't find anything about the period spent in rum casks, but it could certainly be different, or different rums. I'd definitely get the Golden Cask now, and as the Caribbean Cask is part of the standard line now, you can get it any time if you want (although what I've seen of the reviews say it's not anything all that special).

Just as an FYI, no Balvenie is chill filtered.

Ah, I didn't know that. Just anothing thing that helps make it such a consistently great whisky.

Chill fitlering of whisky involves chilling it down to about zero celcius so that the fatty acids and esters coagulate enough to be filtered out. This will keep the spirt from clouding up when served cold. (Provided that it is 90 proof or less) A number of people including myself, feel that it also takes out some of the flavor components.