• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Band Geeks on CP

DrummerJohn

Hey guys,

I was just reading the iPass thread and there seem to be a lot of guys with musical backgrounds in there. I was wondering how many guys have had experience in marching band, drum corps, or music in general. Maybe we can all share our experience... in my day job, I run into folks all the time who are participants or fans of marching band or drum corps and it has had a profound effect on their life outside of music.

I am a musician who was in a state champion marching band in high school. I attended the University of N. Texas and marched in the snareline for the Phantom Regiment Drum Corps in Rockford, IL. I currently teach the drumline for my alma mater, Homestead High School and I am also the caption head for a WGI Independant drumline called the Quest Percussion Ensemble.

It is cool to see other musicians that are into good smokes... :thumbs:

Later,
DJ

Concert band / marching band / jazz band in high school (I played the drums).....led me into music after high school. Got interested in recording / concert sound. Used to own my own 4000 seat PA system and did a couple of small west coast club tours. Built private recording studios / ran sessions for a living, and got a chanct to start up a big studio on Hollywood, CA (the "Big Time"). Did that for about six months, hated it (worked for a tyrant) but I did get to run sessions in most of the major studios in Hollywood...that was pretty cool. Came back to the Pacific Northwest and finished my engineering degree (BSEE).

Now I'm a hardware geek for a "really big" employer here in the Portland, OR area... :cool: I still look at the nice used sets of drums and think "...hmmm...."... :p

Best Regards - B.B.S.

I've played something most all my life. I played violin from ages 5-11, then trumpet for two years, then percussion after that. I played snare four years strait in high school for one of the state's top marching bands (6 snares, 4 sets of quads etc., 200 person marching band). In college I ended up with a music performance minor, played in the jazz band for four years, percussion ensemble, and various other groups. Sirsmokesalot plays in the same jazz ensemble that I was in right now.

Now I just have my drums set up in the basement collecting dust. Every now and then I sit down and play, but haven't had time to find a jazz quartet or someone fun to play with.

Played trumpet for 10 years. Will pick it up once in a while still.

Benny Goodman and I played the clarinet in the school band together. I sat 1st chair he had the 2nd. LOL

I'm a self taught bass player.
From country, r&r and punk (Coney Island Whitefish)in the '70's,
to blues, r&r, Motown, r&b and country in the '80's and '90's,
to oldies (Good Rockin' Tonight) and rockabilly, honky tonk (Tweed Schade and The Sugardaddies) in the '00's.
Playing at the Rodeo Bar in NYC tonight with www.tweedschade.com. :thumbs:

I was the worst kind of band geek in high school. I wanted to get close to this girl in the band but only played guitar so I volunteered to play bongos, triangle or whatever lame ass instrument they may have needed for a particular piece :blush:

I marched with Independence High School 76th Cavalry Marching Band from 1976-1980 in San Jose, CA (Tenor Sax). We were a national competing band with ties to a few Drum Corps including Santa Clara Vanguard, Concord Blue Devils, and the Troopers. We were a brand new school, on the East Side of town, with a bunch of high school kids with no marching experience. Our two Directors, both teachers, came to us with different backgrounds. One was a very young teacher with quite a bit of Corp background (still a DCI judge) and the other was an older teacher who was also an accomplished Jazz musician who would write/arrange all of our music. In four short years we became a nationally recognized marching band competing in, and winning, national titles and marching in events such as the Rose Bowl parade, Orange Bowl parade and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

It was a fantastic opportunity and I still have wonderful memories and friends from those days. I still see many of those frieds and we even do reunions and fundraising efforts to support the current band.

:cool:

My major in college was Music Theory and Composition. I play piano, guitar and am proficient with most brass instruments.

Another band geek here. Mellophone 4 years in highschool marching band. I've tried to convince my wife all the cool people were in band at MY school, but I think she knows better.

I played cornet in the marching band and concert band in junior high, but quit in high school to play football. I haven't played a cornet or trumpet in years but now I fiddle around with guitars and my mandolin.

I had band in 6th to jr hight playied sax( alto and tenor) and clarinets. I was to much into sports gave it up. But I had a lot of friends in Vangaurd. and a roommate who taught vanguard and blue devils and still does.

Band geeks? How about rock stars? :cool: Okay, make that wannabe rock star. I've been into music all of my life. I played drums since grade school and then got into guitar in college. I've been in my share of rock bands, but never got past playing in clubs and selling tapes out of my car.

I still play guitar and have a nice collection of Fender Stratocasters (hence the name jstrat). But I'm now firmly entrenched in the corporate world with my dreams of rock stardom hopelessly lost.

Oh well, at least I can smoke cigars, right?

Edited to add the following: Hey, DrummerJohn, I just re-read the thread and noticed that you played with the Phantom Regiment. One of my drum teachers in high school was Marty Hurley who used to run PR if I recall correctly. Cool! What a small world.

I am still an active musician- play guitar, bass and whatever is needed. Do some collecting also- but joined this board to talk cigars!

High school and College drumline. Any and all percussion intrsuments played. Band geek for Life! I also traveled in a band for 5 yrs. Playing Congas.

Back