• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Band or No Band?

Do you remove the band before lighting?

• Yes, then lie and say it is an expensive cigar!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, then downplay it so I don't appear to be rich!

• Yes, the band gets in the way of nubbing it!

• No, I want to impress people!

• No, I am not ashamed of the Lars I am smoking!

• No, the band is a handy guide to know when to stop!

• Total voters

SamGuss

I personally remove the bands. For starters I like to save them (well most of them) and put them in the old cigar dossier. Since I nub many of my cigars, it also just gets in the way later on. Lastly but not least, I smoke for the pleasure of smoking, so the band doesn't matter. Except while it is in the humi. I don;t like unbanded cigars in my humi, because I re-sort my cigars fairly often and if I have more than a couple varieties in the humi at the same time that are not banded, then I get confused about which cigar is which.

Anyway, one of those classic questions to use as a conversation starter.

Sam

I voted to take of the band, as that I save them for who knows what, I just keep them in a drawer. Plus they do get in the way when nubbing. :D

I take it off after I've smoked about half the cigar. I figure by then, the heat has loosened it up somewhat. If I try to take it off pre-light, I'm afraid of tearing the wrapper.

I like the aesthetics of the band, and also to look snobby! :p

JOE.M. said:
I like the aesthetics of the band, and also to look snobby! :p
I have to agree about the aesthetics of a good looking cigar band - especially if there is a few of them together. My favorite band is an Opus X band (imagine that LOL).

I will even admit when I was "young" in cigar smoking terms (no comments from the peanut gallery - I know I am still young LOL), that I selected many a cigar based off the look of the band. Unfortunately I did find out that many real flashy bands are dog rockets :(

But anyway, I know your point regardless here, though I apply it to only those cigars still in the humi.

Sam

Ditto FT's comments.
When I smoke a cigar that has its original band I usually smoke half then take the band off. I find its hard to get the band off without damaging the wrapper before before that. Cigars that are rebanded I take off before I light.

ditto that ditto

I've ruined more the a few cigar wrappers by trying to peel the band off early. I let the heat of the cigar loosen the glue and genly peel it when it's in danger of getting scorched.

Dave ;)

I'll ditto the ditto of the ditto! Although, I usually wait a little while longer to remove the band... probably when the ash gets to within a half inch or so. By then the band and excess glue are heated enough to be removed without damaging the wrapper.

Aloha,

Wade

I must be smokin the cheap glue brands. I haven't had a problem damaging the wrapper yet so I always just take it off before lighting then I don't have to deal with it. I also have some sort of asthetic problem smokin with the band on because I like to roll it around as I smoke to keep the burn even and it just feels wrong holding it with the band upside down. If for some reason I didn't take it off to start with, then as soon as I notice I'm holding it upside down, it has to come off. That might sound a little odd, but trust me, it's just the tip of the ice berg. :D :D

I prefer to leave the band on both for the aesthetics and so fellow cigar smokers can see what I'm smoking. I'm the curious type and like to know what other people are smoking. If the band is of the particularly ugly variety then I will remove it before smoking as a small part of the pleasure of a good smoke is the visual. I also appreciate the band as it does remind me when it's time to move on. If it's one of those rare occasions when the stick is just too good to put out until the last possible puff then I remove the band at that point. My vote for a great looking band is the Bahia Gold.

-Craig

gibu said:
I must be smokin the cheap glue brands. I haven't had a problem damaging the wrapper yet so I always just take it off before lighting then I don't have to deal with it. I also have some sort of asthetic problem smokin with the band on because I like to roll it around as I smoke to keep the burn even and it just feels wrong holding it with the band upside down. If for some reason I didn't take it off to start with, then as soon as I notice I'm holding it upside down, it has to come off. That might sound a little odd, but trust me, it's just the tip of the ice berg. :D :D
<yoda voice>The spiders are strong with this one. Mmmmmmm.</yoda voice>