• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bart's New Vinotemp Project

Bartolomeo

Just got a new Vinotemp delivered today from meijer.com. Seasoning it right now and will keep everybody updated with some pics as its happening, nothing too exciting so far.

BTW, I want to get this right and do it the proper way from the start so I am a little anal about doing things. For example, I have purchased 8 Hygrometers, all of the same brand to salt test them and see which 3 I will keep, just want to keep the three with the 75% RH levels. Too bad the success rate is not pretty good right now.

Seasoning with Distilled H2O, cedar under the bowls and 2.5lbs of beads currently. I had cardboard originally holding the H2O but it started to smell like cardboard and replaced with cedar. I have Spanish Cedar trays in there right now that will hold my singles until my drawers/trays get done.

Put a cork to plug up the drainage hole and have left off the power to the Vinotemp to start with. Once up to speed after seasoning, will turn on unit and go from there.

Thanks,

Bart

Vino002.jpg

Vino005.jpg

Vino006.jpg

Vino007.jpg

Vino008.jpg

Vino009.jpg

Vino010.jpg

Vino011.jpg

Damn, you are anal! Not going to have much room for smokes with all that shit in there. Just food for thought.

Seriously I don't know why you're doing what you're doing.....

You have to season the wood.... The vino itself is plastic.... no seasoning to be done there.....
So in my eye's what you're doing there is a complete waist of time.

What you want o be doing is seasoning the vinotemp when you have your drawers/shelves in there....

Why don't you just buy an adjustable hygrometer? Test it with beads so you know what it's supposed to be at, and adjust it accordingly.

Plus, if you're really anal, you need to invest in a controller, like the ones made by Ranco, for precision control of the Vino's temperature. The stock controller and thermostat are way off.

Dude...8 hygrometers. Now I've seen everything. Take a deep breath please.

You DO understand everything you're gonna put in there is eventually going to BURN right?? ???

Damn you guys are ripping on this excited botl and his new cigar home. Instead of bashing, how about offering some of your much coveted advice.

Here's some, I have two small vino's (9 bottle), one works and one doesn't. I have 1/2 lb. of 70% beads(Drunkfish3 has the best) in each and I didn't plug anything with a cork. No conditioning needed as placing the beads in their instantly kept the RH around 74%. I add more distilled water every 3 months and it never budges. Keep in mind that I first calibrated my hygrometers (salt test)

No one is ripping on the dude. All you have to do is put a pound of beads in there in maybe 2 different spots. Get an adjustable hygrometer and calibrate it. Toss all your sticks in. And THATS IT. Save yourself the headache, your thinking about it way to much. Enjoy the hobby don't over think it.

Fellas, fellas, fellas; he is pulling a fast one. This is a chiller for Gazpacho :p

I have two pounds of 65% beads in my vino that I got from Viper. I got 'em wet with some distilled water when I first got the Vino and have not had to re-wet them since. It's been (I'm guessing here) 6 months and the Vino is holding at 63-66% with absolutely no problem. I didn't cork any holes or re-route any condensation and I've had no problems thus far. Like John said, this is supposed to be a relaxing hobby. For the money you spent on those 8 hygros you could've gotten two xikar hygros that are adjustable and very accurate.

No where do I see him saying he is going to keep 8 hygro's. He bought 8 to test them then will only keep the 3 that are accurate.

As for the rest. As has already been stated you do not need to season the Vinotemp you just need to season the wood. With my Vinotemp it holds rock steady with 1 1/2 pounds of beads at %65. Only issue I seem to have with my vinotemp is i seem to be smoking my cigars too fast. I need to either slow down or buy more faster!

Damn you guys are ripping on this excited botl and his new cigar home. Instead of bashing, how about offering some of your much coveted advice.
No where do I see him saying he is going to keep 8 hygro's. He bought 8 to test them then will only keep the 3 that are accurate.

I recommend a thumb-through of this on a slow summer day, just to catch up ;) :
Sarcasm Book
(Once I purchased this, the world opened up to me. :sign: )

Also, I provided a definition here:
rib·bing (rĭb'ĭng)
n.

1. Ribs considered as a group.
2. An arrangement of ribs, as in a boat.
3. Informal The act or an instance of joking or teasing.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Ex. "Why, those crazy kids on that CP are just givin' ol' Barty a good-natured ribbing!"

I think, imo, you are seasoning the cigar trays properly. Getting them wet is a no-no.
As long as you remove the bowls of water when you put cigars in, your good to go. :thumbs:
I do find your technique funny. :laugh:

I thought I was giving him advice?

Get an adjustable hygrometer and a Ranco. You won't regret it.

Sorry if my reply was a bit abrupt... I didn't mean it like that....

I ran out of time while posting so I didn't really re-read it....

Sorry if I offended any one.

I thought I was giving him advice?

Get an adjustable hygrometer and a Ranco. You won't regret it.
I thought so too!! :laugh:

Sorry if my reply was a bit abrupt... I didn't mean it like that....

I ran out of time while posting so I didn't really re-read it....

Sorry if I offended any one.
No, your reply was perfectly fine man... Just some folks need to recognize that poking fun is allowed since we're all adults, and thicker skins might need to be developed.

surprised no one has offered up the suggestion of adding fans.......

add a couple of "Oust" fans if you can find them...air circulation helps maintain the humidity levels throughout.

enjoy

add a couple of "Oust" fans if you can find them...air circulation helps maintain the humidity levels throughout.

enjoy

Not a bad idea but I have found that the Oust fans don't move hardly any air at all. I was dissapointed when I got mine and saw how weak the thing was.

enjoy

Not a bad idea but I have found that the Oust fans don't move hardly any air at all. I was dissapointed when I got mine and saw how weak the thing was.

X2, the Oust fans are a waste of a battery IMHO.

edit to add that it's looking good so far. He'll have more room in there once all the bowls for seasoning the shelves come out. You'll probably end up taking a few shelves out once you get a few boxes in there, trust me ;)

Update tonight on project, had to start over for different reasons and back to seasoning the Cedar trays using the new Ranco system, so far so good

Bart

Electricians Putty

Cigs001.jpg

Ranco Temperature Control

Cigs002.jpg

Second hole drilled through the bottom using the drain hole inside

Cigs005.jpg

Left overs after tearing drain out

Cigs007.jpg

New line of cigars I am starting, Vinotemp Robustos :nodlaugh:

Cigs008.jpg

Inside look, tried to keep it as clean looking as possible

Cigs013.jpg

Putty that sealed where the Ranco temperature cord came in through original drain hole

Cigs018.jpg

Cigs020.jpg