• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Basement Storage

DreC

Okay guys, I haven't posted in a while so here goes...question time. I recently moved into a new place and here in Jersey it's starting to get HOT! I can't run the AC during the day (need to save energy costs for cigar money :p )I do how ever have a very cool basement. During the day it get's up to 85 F and basment is 70F...it's perfect! My only concerne is the smell of the basement very damp and mildewey I don't have any water leakage problems, just the smell.

If I place my 300 ct humi there for the summer will I increase the probability of getting mold on my cigars? Will the absorb the mildew smell after a while? The seal on the humidor is pretty good, however I don't want to risk getting mold on them, but at the same time don't want to risk the dreaded cigar beetles either.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

I keep all my cigars in the basement. The cabinets and the desktops are all down there. The temp stays a constant 70-71 and the humidity in the humidors is right at 70%. I have one stand up humidor I try to keep below 70% by adding dry Climmax media. A cooler will seal up pretty good, so I doubt the mildew smell will get in there unless it is opened often or left open. But, be careful to control the humidty inside the cooler or you'll have the mold and mildew appear without any help from the existing conditions.

Matt R said:
...unless it is opened often or left open. But, be careful to control the humidty inside the cooler or you'll have the mold and mildew appear without any help from the existing conditions.
Matt. thanks for your feedback. I should be okay then. But I do tend to open it at least twice a day, even if I'm not going to smoke one. Bad habit, call it paranoid even, it's a clear sign of my newbieness :(

I too store all my cigars in my finished basement. Last summer though we had a horrible spell of humidity. The RH in my basement was over 90%. It was so bad that mold and mildew started to form on the furniture. :0

I noticed that the humidity in the humis' kept creeping up to around 75%- 80% (I didn't have beads then).

My solution was to get a DE-humidifier for the basement. This works perfectly as I keep the humidity level in the basement around 65% :D therefore I never have to recharge my beads for 8-9 of the 12 months of the year since I basically regulate the humitity in the entire room with the dehumidifier.

In the winter months though the RH is as low as 45% to 50% and I have to recharge the beads then.

In your case Dre, I think it would be wise to invest in a dehumidifier and I would do it NOW before the summer heat comes in full force and the stores sell out of the units (like what happened to me last summer :p )

coventrycat86 said:
I too store all my cigars in my finished basement. Last summer though we had a horrible spell of humidity. The RH in my basement was over 90%. It was so bad that mold and mildew started to form on the furniture. :0

I noticed that the humidity in the humis' kept creeping up to around 75%- 80% (I didn't have beads then).

My solution was to get a DE-humidifier for the basement. This works perfectly as I keep the humidity level in the basement around 65% :D therefore I never have to recharge my beads for 8-9 of the 12 months of the year since I basically regulate the humitity in the entire room with the dehumidifier.

In the winter months though the RH is as low as 45% to 50% and I have to recharge the beads then.

In your case Dre, I think it would be wise to invest in a dehumidifier and I would do it NOW before the summer heat comes in full force and the stores sell out of the units (like what happened to me last summer :p )
I fully agree with CC on this one bro. One question tho, is it un-finished, partially finished, finished? Start with the dehumidifier. They are inexpensive. Buy yourseld another meter. I would get a didgital that tells you hi/lo of temp and RH. Once it is calibrated, put it in the basement with the dehumidifer. If your dehumidifer doesn't come with a timer(worth getting if you can), just buy an outlet timer and plug the dehumidifier into that. A little tinkering with the timing and you should be able to get it into a window of %50-60.
Once your humidity problem is in check, dealing with the smell is realatively easy. Just use the method which fits your situation. A bit of advice, fix the humidity problem before working on the odr, otherwse you are working against yourself. Heck, once you have fixed those 2 problems, put up a dart board, a card table, and a second hand recliner and call it a safe haven. :thumbs: Let us know what works.

Emo

And what would Emo know about basements living in the Keys? :sign:

I do so miss my basement. :(

Would be the perfect place to store the stogies.

geldor1 said:
And what would Emo know about basements living in the Keys? :sign:

I do so miss my basement. :(

Would be the perfect place to store the stogies.
I lived in one house in fFlorida that had a sub level. A very old Oriental looking house. It was open air, that was screened in. The house was on blocks. But I do know about high humidity and damp smells!

Emo

emodx said:
One question tho, is it un-finished, partially finished, finished?
It's actually unfinished. All I have down there are washer drier and a meat freezer (wish I could turn that into a humidor :D .

I defenitely need to check on a de-humidifier. Even though when I did check the humidity levels upstairs where it is hotter during the day was at around 60%- 65%. And the basement was marking in at around 50-54% humidity. But there's a lot to be said about being prepared.

theres your problem. You need a mans smoking room addition built in the basement. :p

If I build it they will come.....

That's my next step, I'll just have to start doing the laundry after that so my wife doesn't realize I set it up LOL :lookup:

Get a Dehumidifier! Mold is no good period... whether for your smokes, furniture or your health in general. I keep my smokes in my finished basement and have two de-humidifiers going to keep the humidity at 50% (I have a fairly large finished basement). I have 2 humidors and one igloodor. There is never a problem with keeping the humidity in my humidors at 70%.

By the way... last year my wife decided to rearrange some furniture and ended up putting one of my humidors next to the dehumidifier :0 not a good idea as the humidity dropped to 60% within a couple of days. I quickly fixed this problem and fired her as an interior decorator :D

Although my house in TX is the first I have owned, I miss the basements of my parent's OH homes. Before reading this thread I have thought about how great it would be to have a couple 120 qt coolidors in a basement - no need to worry about humidity other than to ensure it didn't get too humid. But you can't build basements in this part of Texas; not sure about the remainder of the state.

I keep my coolidor in my bedroom's walk in closet. Although its on the 2nd story, there is an A/C register that used to be shut in the closet and no windows. We cool to 78 in the Summer to avoid $500 electric bills, yet the closet has been hanging around 72 most of the time. The closet stays closed most of the time and there are no windows, so it gets an extra shot of A/C compared to other rooms.

I had also thought of using the "Texas Basement" (a door opens to the empty space under the stops to the second floor.), but the lack of a vent makes the closet a better choice.

Lucky you - use your basement...

Matt

I too have a basement humidor. 9 months of the year no humidification needed. Only when the heat is on does the humidity drop. Sometimes it is a scary drop and unexpected. During those changeover times it is a must to check frequently. Other times perfect humidity, perfect temp. I only have a slight mildew smell and only periodically. Thusfar no effect on cigars. Keep in boxes or cedar lined humi and this should be ok.