• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bead Question

Wombat

Wombats Have Skills
Hi All:

Just set up a new smallish coolidor. Had the cooler just gathering dust and I thought I'd put it to good use! I did the math (from Viper's great post)and came up with .34 pounds of beads needed. I bought a half pound, loaded it up with some empty boxes and a few singles to start. Now my question: With the fun weather in the Northeast, I'm sitting at about 80% humidity (70 degrees) in the basement, how long should it take to get the coolidor down to 65% humidity? Do you think I'll have to go through several cycles of hitting the beads with a hairdryer? The starting half pound was just about all solid white, so I just put them in there.

80% in the basement or in the cooler itself? Is anything else in the cooler for humidification, or just the beads?

Nope, 80% in the basement, so I'm saying that's where the cooler starts out as well. I have just the beads at this time, what do you suggest?

Well, I would make sure you have at least 1 lb. of beads :)

Then, place probably two humidifier cases full of beads in the cooler (you can put muslin/cheese cloth in the plastic humidifier cases that every place sells and this will prevent the beads from going through the slits while still being able to breathe), and see what happens. That should be plenty to get the humidity down depending on the size of your cooler. If your humidity stabilizes above 65%, then add another humidifier case full of beads. The beads work to be at 65, so they won't make it go below that.

That's the best I can think of. I'm in a similar situation being in Chicago, especially since we've been having the 2nd worst drought on record (and only by 1/12" of rain), but it's still fully humid every day.

Good luck

BigMacFU:

Thanks, that was kind of where I thought I needed to be. I'll order up some more beads and put them on the other side. Not really a problem except during the summer and then not every summer :cool: . Plus, I figure the extra beads will help keep the humidity with less water filling during the winter. One good plus, it was 92 degrees outside today and the coolidor never broke 70 degrees!

You know, the more I think about it, it's more a question of speed. It's been about 30 hours, and the coolidor is still close to 80%. What's more interesting is that only 10% of the beads are clear. I would have expected one of two things at this point:
1.) The cooler was at 65%
2.) the cooler was not, but all of the beads were clear meaning they could not suck up any more water.

Anyone with any ideas?

UTKhodgy said:
If you wanted to lower the humidity, and you put them into the cooler already white, then no wonder they aren't working. Humidity is basically the amount of moisture in the air. 80% is a high moisture level, and the clear beads will be able to absorb. If 90% of the beads are white, then only 10% of the beads can take in the extra moisture to take the humidity down to 65% like you want it.

I think you got it reversed - when the beards are dry they are white, and when they are saturated they are clear.

IgwanaRob said:
UTKhodgy said:
If you wanted to lower the humidity, and you put them into the cooler already white, then no wonder they aren't working. Humidity is basically the amount of moisture in the air. 80% is a high moisture level, and the clear beads will be able to absorb. If 90% of the beads are white, then only 10% of the beads can take in the extra moisture to take the humidity down to 65% like you want it.

I think you got it reversed - when the beards are dry they are white, and when they are saturated they are clear.
[snapback]203498[/snapback]​

This is why I am incompetant and had to edit my post. I flip-flopped the two jobs of the beads. However, if 90% of his beads are dry (white) like he says they are, and he needs to lower the humidity, then the beads should absorb the extra moisture (humidity) in the air and make them clear.

Basically his dry beads are not stabilizing.

UTKhodgy said:
IgwanaRob said:
UTKhodgy said:

[snapback]203498[/snapback]​

This is why I am incompetant and had to edit my post. I flip-flopped the two jobs of the beads. However, if 90% of his beads are dry (white) like he says they are, and he needs to lower the humidity, then the beads should absorb the extra moisture (humidity) in the air and make them clear.

Basically his dry beads are not stabilizing.
[snapback]203503[/snapback]​

Transposing details isn't incompetant, not by far :cool:

(edited because I replied in the friggin quoted part :whistling: )

I responded to your email to my web site but figured I would put the answer here as well.

The first question I always ask is have you verified the accuracy of your hygrometer? Some units can be way off in the readings they give.

It will take a little while for the rh to go down, possibly up to weeks if you have a number of cigars. It takes time for the cigars to give off the moisture that they have in them and it takes time for the cedar lining to give off the excess. Give it some time but if you have not done so check the calibration of your hygrometer.

Definitely give it a little time. You will be amazed at how much moisture Spanish cedar boxes can hold. Of course that is why Spanish cedar is used in boxes and humis.