• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Beads help in humidor

blacklabelbravo

Ok guys I guess my search-fu must be weak! I have some 65% rH beads arriving today from Heartfelt. Is there anything I need to do to them beside put them in the tray and put them in the humidor? DO I need to spray them with distilled? How long should I expect them to last between sprays on a 50-75 cigar humidor?

Thanks in advance.

Seems like there is an instruction list with the shipment or on the bag that tells you to spray the beads before putting them in humidor. If your humidor is well seasoned and has a good seal, the beads could last for a month or more without re-spraying. I just watch my beads and when more than half of them turn white, I spritz 'em down.

Only use DISTILLED water!

^^This. They do come with simple instructions but that is all you need! They are really virtually maintenance free. Good luck!

AVOID putting them in anything metal, I used to have my beads in aluminum chaffing dishes and they ate through the pans and water and beads went everywhere...

I don't spritz my beads. Rather I put a small capful of
water in my humi and let the beads absorb moisture from
the 'atmosphere' in the humi. (a 2 liter soda bottle cap
about 1/2 full)

This way I don't have to use distilled water.

Been using this method for several years (~4?), even
in my Vinotemp, without a single problem.

YMMV

Chemyst :cool:

Its also acceptable to use reverse osmosis purified water though you don't normally see this for sale in the US. I only get about a week from my beads before I have to re-humidify since I am in a VERY dry and hot climate.

Don't forget that when you wet them, 70% of your beads should be clear, and the other 30% a milky clear so that they can provide a buffer.

My beads were in a puck....I submerged the whole thing in distilled water, let it drip dry then wiped it off so it wasn't met 90% of beads were clear, I put it in my box and it has maintained 65% ever since.

Seems like there is an instruction list with the shipment or on the bag that tells you to spray the beads before putting them in humidor. If your humidor is well seasoned and has a good seal, the beads could last for a month or more without re-spraying. I just watch my beads and when more than half of them turn white, I spritz 'em down.

My beads need to be re-spray every couple of days,I use them in a wine cooler and after
a few days they become all white.

My beads need to be re-spray every couple of days,I use them in a wine cooler and after
a few days they become all white.

I really think it depends on the geographical location and the storage method. I have 2 humi's. One of them I only have to spritz once a month, the other is every couple of weeks. Either way they work very well at maintaining a steady RH.

Don't forget that when you wet them, 70% of your beads should be clear, and the other 30% a milky clear so that they can provide a buffer.

I think that is only necessary when you live in a climate that can get more humid than the target (65-70%). Those living in dry/hot climates are better served by totally saturating their beads to reduce the re-charge interval.

I think that is only necessary when you live in a climate that can get more humid than the target (65-70%). Those living in dry/hot climates are better served by totally saturating their beads to reduce the re-charge interval.

I would still leave some room for absorption as cooler air temps can't hold as much moisture.

I live in a very dry climate and thought this was a good idea as well. After about a year my beads were moldy.