• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Beads or Humidifier

LOYD

I had to beat him with his own shoe!
Reaction score
I have begun construction of my humi, and I have a question that I'm sure will get different responses. Just want to get opinions from people to help me in my decison making process. Is 38 square ft to big to be supported by beads alone? How often will the beads need tending too? Are they capable of maintaining this much space?

Or

Should I just buy a couple of Cigar Oasis II XL?

Or

If anyone has an alternative please let me know.

Due to the size and the lack of availability of S. Cedar, I will be lining the inside with 1/4" lauan and building the drawer and racks from SC.

Should have the cabinet closed in tomorrow have a few pieces in clamps overnight and should start assembly in the morning.
Outside will be oak.

The answer depends on a few factors. My cabinet is a little over 50 sf and I use nothing but KL beads. I have about 1/2 to 1 lb on each shelf and also two small fans that circulate air for a couple minutes a few times each day. People that live in a dry area would prob have a harder time making it work.

Unless you are planning on conditioning your own beads I'd go with This (Duracraft 830 w/Digital "Set & Forget" Humidstat/controller). Scroll down on the page.... I think its the second humidifier listed. If you plan to purchase beads you'll be buying quite a bit.

Are you sure about 38 Sq ft, that is huge. Unless my calculations are way off, that will require 24 pounds of beads.

My large humi which holds +- 160 boxes is 60" high x 13" deep x 48" wide, I need about 4 1/2 pounds,
you are saying that yours is 6 times the size - wow!

Anyway, I have both a Set & Forget plus 4.5 pounds of beads. The beads help to stabilize the unit.

Brian

Yours is right at 22 sq/ft.

My dimensions are 80" high,36"wide,24"deep. external dimensions. 40sq/ft. Internal dimensions will be right at 38sq/ft.

Mine would need almost 8 pounds of beads. I'm just unsure how long the beads will go in that big of an enviroment before needing attention.

I'll have a receptacle in the top and the bottom built in, to power fans and/or humidifier.

Go with both. That is about the best way. I have a cigar oasis xl II and a few pounds of beads and a few pounds of KLH. It is rock solid al the time.

I can't wait to see some pics of this monster you are building.

Yours is right at 22 sq/ft.

My dimensions are 80" high,36"wide,24"deep. external dimensions. 40sq/ft. Internal dimensions will be right at 38sq/ft.

Ok, now that I see your measurements, I used Viper's calculator and you will need 8 pounds of beads. Your unit will be double the size
of mine, that's a very large humi!

I have the beads on different shelves, kind of evenly distributed. My unit run perfectly at 65%. If you want to stabilize your unit, adding beads
is the way to go.

Brian

I can't wait to see some pics of this monster you are building.

I'll be taking pics along the way.

Go with both. That is about the best way. I have a cigar oasis xl II and a few pounds of beads and a few pounds of KLH. It is rock solid al the time.

Prolly what I will do, use a combo of the 2.

THX,
LOYD

I'm not trying to be a PITA (really, I mean it ;) ) but why does everyone keep saying square feet? It's cubic feet. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

UHHH

Thx for clearing that up!

If I type or make any future mistakes, please correct them for me.

THX,
LOYD