• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Beginner Humidor

chs1491

Hey
Brand new to to cigars. I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations for a good humidor for a beginner. I don't want one that holds anything over 100. Just something suitable for a beginner that includes all the basics. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

B

I'm new as well when it comes to cigars. I started with this.
It is way too small now, but a heck of a deal for a humidor and some samples.

thanks for the replies, imaman, that looks like a great deal thanks

Couple of things to consider...

First, Cigar Pass has a store that you can access through the main page. I would look there for starters.

Second, cheaphumidors.com gets wonderful feedback from those that have used them.

Finally, go bigger! I know that you are probably saying, "I don't want anything too big, taking up all that space". Rest assured... you will need something bigger down the road. Coolerdors are cheap and they work very well. Might not need it now... and quite frankly, I like the looks of nice desktop.... but for down the road, consider getting a cooler.

JMO :D

mac

thanks for the replies, imaman, that looks like a great deal thanks

Couple of things to consider...

First, Cigar Pass has a store that you can access through the main page. I would look there for starters.

Second, cheaphumidors.com gets wonderful feedback from those that have used them.

Finally, go bigger! I know that you are probably saying, "I don't want anything too big, taking up all that space". Rest assured... you will need something bigger down the road. Coolerdors are cheap and they work very well. Might not need it now... and quite frankly, I like the looks of nice desktop.... but for down the road, consider getting a cooler.

JMO :D

mac

Mac is right.. GO BIGGER. He is a smart UNT guy!

I used cheaphumidors for my first Humi, they were great. I bought from the Imperfects section and saved some cash. Get one that is at least twice as big as you want. You say that you want a 100 count, is that because of the size (HxWxL), or the number of cigars you think you want to store. If it is the number of cigars you want, then a 100 ct humi, will hold about 50 regular size smokes. Just some advise from a newbie.

Welcome to CP

Tim

Definitely buy bigger than you think you need. I'm not positive but I think I have been told that manufacturers estimate volume using coronas, not exactly a very large cigar.

Also, like MX said cheaphumidors.com is great. Especially their imperfect section. I have ordered two imperfects from them and both times I had to search the humidors for the "damage". Both times it was very minor and is the type of thing I could easily do myself while taking the humidor out of the box.

Also whatever humidor you go with pick up some humidity beads from www.heartfeltindustries.com they are the easiest and best humidifier available. And if your getting a small humidor you need it to be easy as possible, I have found the bigger the humidor the easier it is to take care of.

[/quote]

Mac is right.. GO BIGGER. He is a smart UNT guy!

[/quote]

This statement is very true... :blush:

mac

I totaly agree that buying bigger is better. I started with the humi in my previous post.(the link I provided shows a pricetag of $39.95 , but this humidor combo can be had for $15 plus $5 shipping.) Last week I bought a humidor from robustohumidors. I hope that this should hold me for a while.

I started with a 100ct desktop humidor 10 years ago, then got a second one. After that I got a great deal on a used J.C. Pendergast CA3668, which has served me well for the last 7 or so years. I would get the biggest one you can get in your budget.

Dave

I'm surprised no one has mentioned building a coolerdor. Some guys get fancy with shelves and linings, but the bottom line is that a plain old cooler with a hygrometer and some humidity control beads in it provides absolutely stable, very inexpensive storage. Doesn't look nice on the desk, though..... :p But, for storage on the cheap you absolutely cannot beat them.

In my case, a 20ct. desktop turned into a 100ct. desktop, which turned into one, then two, then three, then four coolers, which turned into a custom Staebell cabinet last year.

Welcome to the slippery slope..... :cool:

Best Regards - B.B.S.

If you're a man who prefers function over fashion you can make a coolerdor for 45$ and it'll hold more sticks than you can imagine ever owning.

I've got a 145qt cooler half full, when I built it I couldn't imagine ever coming close to making a dent in the space. I took the advice that was given to me though, and I'm really happy I did.

I also got a few pieces of spanish cedar for shelving, some extra boxes from some great brothers here and some humidity beads and I'm good to go.
As with all things: ask around, do some reading. Bang for the buck (for me) coolers are the way to go:
http://www.cigarbbguide.com/NEWBIE~1/Coolerdors.html

Oh, it's more than halfway full now, great recommendation guys!

~R

Wilkey is the king of the coolidor. Long live the King :thumbs:

I had three for a long time. When I got my cabinet, I still kept them and store empty boxes in two of them. The other one gets any new stock while I have a chance to re-arrange boxes in the cabinet. Coolidors are easy to set up and they are as set and forget as they get, especially if they are in the basement of your house.

The CP store is down at the moment; I'm revamping it.

Also, if you're just looking to store cigars, get a small cooler. Much easier to maintain, too. Otherwise, there are plenty of options for a small humidor (as previously mentioned above). Check http://www.humidorvault.com

Back