• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Beginners Pack

Starburn

Hi all,

Need some advice, I'm contemplating purchasing this item as a sort of "beginners pack". It would be my first humi :)

I usually smoke Hamlets (come in a packet from most stores) and just keep them on a shelf, though I recently bought myself a Macanudo Hyde Park Cafe which looks & smells great - absolutely looking forward to smoking it on my birthday next weekend and I fear I will want more, hence why I am considering this pack.

What do you guys think? Is it a good selection for someone relatively new to "premium" cigars?

Thanks for any advice :)

I have that exact hunidor sent to me as a gift......mine leaks like crazy. I now use it for accessories storage.

I would use the money and buy more cigars. Search here for a tuppodor solution to just get you started.

I'm sorry, but I am not familiar with many of the cigars so I can't really comment on those. I would think, however, that if I were outside the US I would look for a good cuban sampler. :whistling:

Good luck. I'm sure many others here are willing to help you spend your money and give advice. We are pretty good about that here!

Enjoy your new hobby.

Cheers.

I think because they're "banned" it increases the appeal of Cubans in the US, as they are readily available here it is not the case.
I find Cubans (well, I've only tried 2 or 3) to be a little too 'harsh' for my taste, I enjoy flavoured cigars, or lighter/sweeter ones.. :)

Cheers.

I think because they're "banned" it increases the appeal of Cubans in the US, as they are readily available here it is not the case.
I find Cubans (well, I've only tried 2 or 3) to be a little too 'harsh' for my taste, I enjoy flavoured cigars, or lighter/sweeter ones.. :)

This has, of course, been debated quite a bit. What percentage of the premium market outside the US is made up of cuban cigars? If memory serves, it is quite high. I imagine there is a reason for that.

As for your question, go bigger, or go tupperware. A 25 count humi usually won't even hold 25. And, if you store flavored smokes in it, it will be ruined and useless once you spend more time in the hobby and move on to non-flavored cigars.

Hmm, shame about that humidor.. this package seemed like a great deal.
Humi's are pretty expensive here too (aswell as cigars) so I haven't been able to decide on one.. :s

btw, I don't see myself getting into the premium cigars in a big way (I can't afford it in the UK :) ), I just need a humidor to store about 5 or 6 cigars (the most I'll have) to keep them fresh for smoking on special occasions..

Does that change your recommendation of a larger humidor?

Ok, been browsing around that site and found, this - also seems a good buy for a beginner to me? - although if I dislike one of them I'd have another 4 left to smoke :/ hmm.

I love that "smoking kills" tag on the one pack. I think they left out the last words, though. "smoking kills your bank account"

Sage advice from smokelaw, though. Get something larger. I bought a similar starter kit when I entered the hobby. The 25ct humi lasted about a week before I moved on to a tupperware (air tight plastic tub). Start with the tub or a 100ct + size humi.

By the tub, do you mean the jar I linked to? ..

My cigars are currently stored in a tupperware tub (well, a sealed food tub anyway).. don't know how humid it is in there though.
The Mac is in a food bag with a knot tied at the top of it also :) (as I bought it 2 weeks early)

By the tub, do you mean the jar I linked to? ..

My cigars are currently stored in a tupperware tub (well, a sealed food tub anyway).. don't know how humid it is in there though.
The Mac is in a food bag with a knot tied at the top of it also :) (as I bought it 2 weeks early)

Yes, sealed container. I don't know how they're referred to in GB. Tupperware was among the first to come out with a line of sealed food containers so we tend to call them Tupperware. You'll also see them referred to as "Tupperdors". They're cheap, they work, and they're stackable. :laugh:

Forgot to mention; I really don't see how a 100 cigar humidor would suit me.. I'm never going to own more than 5 cigars at any one time.. (and 5 will last me about 6months), so wouldn't the 25 size be fine? Or are there other issues regarding the smaller humi's? (I know the leaking was mentioned.. but hopefully that was a one off :s ).

edit: Also the original pack I mentioned comes with fluid etc. etc. so thats handy :)

I think it is mostly the idea that most (most, but not all) of the people who have come here and said exactly that now have large humi's, or coolers, and the oft-heard refrain "I should have gone larger" is common to the point of cliche around here. There are wonderful 25 count humidors out there, and if you think you REALLY will never have more than a few cigars, a quality one will suit you just fine. Keep in mind, though, that it can be difficult to stabilize the invironemnt inside a humi with so few cigars.

Well I've been smoking cigars for about 4 years and just bought "special" cigars when needed, lately I have wanted somewhere to store a couple in peak condition so I don't have to worry about ordering one when needed :) .. At £10-20 per single cigar I really can't see me ever having more than 5 (cost alone is enough to see to that) :)

I am still tempted by that starter pack.. but if the humidor isn't very good I guess it isn't worth it (at the frequency I'd smoke the large cigars I am figuring it could ruin them..?)..

I don't really know what to do :(, don't want to spend more than £50 on a humidor if I'm honest.

edit: What about something like this from ebay? He sometimes auctions them rather than "buy it now" and the last one went for £29 + £10 shipping :)

Thanks for all this advice btw guys.

I'd suggest getting a small portable cooler that's around the size of a six pack of canned soft drinks. No need to buy a desktop if you only want to store a few for several months.

edit: What about something like this from ebay? He sometimes auctions them rather than "buy it now" and the last one went for £29 + £10 shipping :)

That seems like a better deal, although I still can't believe how much more thing are over there :0 Might look into a small cooler, unless you're really going for a unit you can keep on display.

If your turned off by the looks of a "Tubador" then...

Pick up a 100 to 120 count humidor. They do not take up much space. And trust me if you become a contributing member in goodstanding here... you wont have any trouble keeping it filled with cigars.

Try to find one that uses "SureSeal Technology" I have one and it goes months without needing to be maintained.

I am not sure why you are looking at one of the most expensive sites on the intraweb to buy a humidor and cigars. There are plenty of other websites that have humidors and cigars for cheaper prices.

I am not from the UK so I am not exactly sure how the whole overseas shipment works, but I am pretty sure a lot of companies ship worldwide.

Some companies that I have had good success with:

www.cheaphumidors.com
www.cigarsinternational.com
www.billboardtobacco.com
www.mdcigars.com

Check out some of the sites sponsers for great deals on (legit) ISOMs.

TUPPERWARE.
+ Humidipuck from www.cigarmony.com
or beads from Viper.

=
More money for Cigars.

If your turned off by the looks of a "Tubador" then...
Interesting.......never thought of using a tuba.

i got a couple up at school...I'll experiment and let you know

Cheers.

"banned" has nothing to do with it for me......only quality.

Forgot to mention; I really don't see how a 100 cigar humidor would suit me.. I'm never going to own more than 5 cigars at any one time.. (and 5 will last me about 6months), so wouldn't the 25 size be fine? Or are there other issues regarding the smaller humi's? (I know the leaking was mentioned.. but hopefully that was a one off :s ).

edit: Also the original pack I mentioned comes with fluid etc. etc. so thats handy :)

Yea right.... Find a good cigar and I BET you will only keep five around. It's a disease man. You'll turn around one day and think hmmmmm i need to get a bigger humi. Either that or you have great will power....