• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Beginning Smoker

Nathan Rahl

Dum de Dum
Alrighty, first I'd like to say hi to everyone on the boards. This is, obvisouly my first post.

I recently turned 18 (the other week) and for my birthday, my brother got me a few cigars, which we smoked that night. They were Thompson cigars I think. They had a black label with a TC on it. I really liked them and I have want to order some more cigars. I don't have a local dealer around me, so I am forced to order anything online. I'd like to find a good sampler pack that includes a variety of cigars to try. I am a little hesatent to order online though because of freshness and whatnot.

Anyways, I guess what I am asking here is for a reputable website, good service and whatnot. That offers sampler packs with good starting cigars for a beginner. I'd also like to get a humidor. So if I could get a combo type thing that'd be awesome. Price isn't really that big of an issue, but nothing extravagent. (something < $200) I have looked around on Thompson's website and I found one package that might be nice, but I don't really know if the cigars are any good. Anyways, here's a link, maybe you guys could tell me what you think of it.

Thompson page

Comes with 150 cigars, plus a nice big humidor. All for $159. Seems like a good deal to me, but I figured you people would know better than I.

Any help is appreciated and can't wait to start smoking. :)

The problem I see w/ that humidor/150 cigars is that if you don't like the cigars, you're stuck w/ 147 or so left over. Why not start out small. Get a 5-10 stick sampler that includes a 25-30 stick humidor. That way if you don't like the smokes, you're not out that much. Also, try Cigarbid. I know they have humidor/cigar samplers all the time and you can get them pretty cheap.

I know that it's a matter of taste, but the Thompson's I got with my humi were Dog Rockets! I did find a use for 2 of them, they are on either side of my humidifier to absorb any excess moisture!

My suggestion is DO THE NEWBIE TRADE! You won't be disappointed.

Oh, and welcome to CP!!!

Jim

I'm a newbie too, but I have read enough on this forum to suggest a coolerdor (I made one for under $15) and the Newbie Sampler Thread. This way a FOG will be able to send you cigars that you might actually like. Instead of flying blind on a website with cigars you don't know if you'll like. I have great resource locally, for single cigars, but I still plan on doing the Newbie Sampler Trade in a week or so. It's just a great idea and it builds your reputation on this forum.

Well, I didn't think I'd get so many replies so quickly! I'm liking this forum already!

Thanks for the advice so far. I read over the first post of the Newbie Sampler, seems like a cool idea. About how many cigars could I get for say 50 dollars? I also happen to not have a credit card, and my parents aren't all that excited about this so I don't think they would let me use theirs. So, for the newbie trade, are money orders or just plain cash good? Also what in the world is a coolidor?

Good point on the 150 cigars bfreebern. I don't think I can use cigarbid though, I was looking around and it said they only deal with people 21+. There are probably ways around that though...

$50 is a pretty good load from a FOG. They are very generous when it comes to the Newbie trades. It all depends on the person, but I know that Money Orders or cash work just as well as paypal. They of course will have to have the money in hand before they ship your part out.

As for the no credit card thing, I know there are places on the net where you can get a pre-load credit card. Kinda like a debit card. I also know that most any places on the net take a debit card that acts like a credit card. There are ways around the 21+. You are 18 and you are legal to smoke.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Welcome to CP :)

You'll probably get around 10-15 sticks for $50. Of course you could request the FOG to send you cheapies if he has them and possibly get more.

A coolidor is nothing more then an Igloo cooler that you use as a humidor. All you need is some form of humidifier and you're good to go.

Please do not ever order from Thompsons. You'll likely regret it :(

Newbie sampler trade is the best.

Just put up your name.. and whichever fog gets you he will tell you how to go about trading..M.O. are good..and easy for all parties involved..

Welcome to CP. Fill out your profile, maybe somebody in your area can recommend a shop.

go for tupperdors to start with, then coolerdors as necessary

humidors are for the rich and image-conscious (and there's nothing wrong with that!)

Lumberg said:

humidors are for the rich and image-conscious (and there's nothing wrong with that!)
[snapback]195637[/snapback]​

Tupperdors...lol. That just sounds funny, sorry. I googled coolidor and found a link that shows how to make one. Seems like a cheap way to go about making a humidor. I'd much rather have a humidor though, just because I know it will probably work, and mine won't. :rolleyes: I'll probably just find some cheap one that holds like 50 cigars or so. I was looking around and those aren't much more than $50 dollars. Not that much really.

Oh I also edited my profile! :D

Nathan Rahl said:
Lumberg said:

I googled coolidor and found a link that shows how to make one.
[snapback]195645[/snapback]​

Here's a great thread explaining how to build one, right on this forum Here

Check out bargainhumidors, you should be able to get a larger humidor for not much more. You will find you will fill up a small humidor very quickly and they never hold what they say. A 50 count is good for the office but that's about it.

Nathan Rahl said:
Lumberg said:

Tupperdors...lol. That just sounds funny, sorry. I googled coolidor and found a link that shows how to make one. Seems like a cheap way to go about making a humidor. I'd much rather have a humidor though, just because I know it will probably work, and mine won't. :rolleyes: I'll probably just find some cheap one that holds like 50 cigars or so. I was looking around and those aren't much more than $50 dollars. Not that much really.

Oh I also edited my profile! :D
[snapback]195645[/snapback]​

You'd be surprised. I have a cheapo humidor that doesn't hold humidity worth squat, and two $9.97 wal-mart special coolerdors that are as tight as anyone could want.

lucasbuck said:
Please do not ever order from Thompsons. You'll likely regret it :(
[snapback]195631[/snapback]​

Do you mean from them for anything? Or just for cigars? They had some nice prices for humidors.

I'm really not to comfortable making a coolidor. I'd probably screw it up and ruin my cigars.

You don't have to "make" anything.

1) Buy cooler
2) Buy humidification device
3) place humidifiction device in cooler
4) Buy cigars
5) Place cigars in cooler

Note that you could easily substitute "humidor" for "cooler" with the same result, albeit at a higher price.
It's not rocket science.

It may also be possible that one of the FOGs lined up in the newbie trade list has an extra 50 ct humi to spare. Ya never know!

Jim

It seems your right Lumberg. I read completely through the post on here and several other websites (love google) and it doesn't seem all that complicated. Thanks for all the advice so far guys! Keep it coming!