• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Belated one year contest

Salukis63

Late blooming FOG bomber
Ok... all these folks hooking up BOTL's to celebrate their One year Anniversary on CP made me feel like a heel since I had let mine slip by... so here's my contest:

First to answer these questions correct will get a gift pack from me-

What is a Saluki? (Must be descriptive)

What School has the Saluki as a Mascot?

Name atleast three well known former Professional Athletes that played sports at the school.

What year did the Army Air Corps officially become the United States Air Force?

First one with the correct posting wins!

Good Luck!

Rob

1) The Saluki is perhaps the oldest known breed of domesticated dog. A study published in the May 21, 2004, issue of Science confirms the Saluki's antiquity through DNA analysis identifying it as one of the earliest breeds to diverge from wolves[sup][/sup]. Like elsewhere in the Fertile Crescent region, Saluki-like animals appear on the ancient ceramics from Susa and Sialk of 3500 BC in Iran, as well as on Egyptian tombs of 2100 BC.[sup][2][/sup] The breed had been occasionally imported to England before 1840, however there was no serious interest until the Hon. Florence Amherst imported a breeding pair of Salukis from Lower Egypt in 1895 and began working to popularize the breed. The Kennel Club recognized Salukis in 1923. Widely admired for its beauty, speed and endurance, the Saluki is a sighthound and historically traveled throughout the Middle East with nomadic desert tribes over an area stretching from the Sahara to the Caspian Sea. As a result, different Saluki subtypes, varying mostly in color and coat, can be found across this widely scattered area.

2) Southern Illinois

3) Steve Finley, Walt Frazier, Brandon Jacobs

4) July 26 1947

edit to say, thanks for the contest!

Dang Jonesy... Google much?
laugh.gif
Nicely played... I'll send something your way shortly....

My 2 AD's while I was at SIU were NFLers Jim Hart and Gayle Sayers...

Cheers,

R

Dang Jonesy... Google much? :laugh: Nicely played... I'll send something your way shortly....

My 2 AD's while I was at SIU were NFLers Jim Hart and Gayle Sayers...

Cheers,

R

Wiki is a wonderful thing! :laugh:

That and the fact I'm at work while everyone else is asleep helped a little!

Thanks!

Thanks!

If I was still on night shift, this contest would have been over before you read it! :laugh:

I'm making a note to make my first contest a little harder than they've been recently. Not quite "guess my favorite number" hard but something. :laugh:

I'm making a note to make my first contest a little harder than they've been recently. Not quite "guess my favorite number" hard but something.
laugh.gif

Yeah...I was a bit shocked to see my contest ended in less than an hour...
sign.gif
I may have to think of a way to redeem myself!

Thanks!

If I was still on night shift, this contest would have been over before you read it! :laugh:

Day shift is making you weak Jon! :laugh:
I'm making a note to make my first contest a little harder than they've been recently. Not quite "guess my favorite number" hard but something. :laugh:

Yeah...I was a bit shocked to see my contest ended in less than an hour...
sign.gif
I may have to think of a way to redeem myself!

The one thing I learned when hosting a contest with questions is to have a few that are personal. This way people have to dig for a little while.

In this day and age of Wiki, Google, and Ask.com, it makes it pretty easy for a contest like this. Plus it helps that I was sitting at my desk at work surfing the internet at 8 am. :laugh:

~What is a Saluki? (Must be descriptive)

A Saluki is a breed of dog. The Saluki are gentle, friendly, even-tempered and extremely devoted. Can be somewhat aloof, even with their family. Also known as a Persian Greyhound. The BIGGEST problem with the Saluki is that it always stands in the shadow of the Huskie. The mighty Huskie is superior in every way to this breed of dog. The Saluki finds itself looking up at the Huskie in almost every aspect; not only in latitude as the Northern Huskie sits higher than the Southern Saluki, but it also excels higher in all sports. :laugh:

~What School has the Saluki as a Mascot?

Southern Illinois University

~Name atleast three well known former Professional Athletes that played sports at the school.

Unfortunately when I typed in Famous Saluki Athletes past and present all that came up was the Marching Salukis. Did you know that "Salute to America" has been performed by the band at many functions, including the 1982 World Series. :)

~What year did the Army Air Corps officially become the United States Air Force?

Thanks for the contest! Congrats on the one year.

~What is a Saluki? (Must be descriptive)

A Saluki is a breed of dog. The Saluki are gentle, friendly, even-tempered and extremely devoted. Can be somewhat aloof, even with their family. Also known as a Persian Greyhound. The BIGGEST problem with the Saluki is that it always stands in the shadow of the Huskie. The mighty Huskie is superior in every way to this breed of dog. The Saluki finds itself looking up at the Huskie in almost every aspect; not only in latitude as the Northern Huskie sits higher than the Southern Saluki, but it also excels higher in all sports. :laugh:

~What School has the Saluki as a Mascot?

Southern Illinois University

~Name atleast three well known former Professional Athletes that played sports at the school.

Unfortunately when I typed in Famous Saluki Athletes past and present all that came up was the Marching Salukis. Did you know that "Salute to America" has been performed by the band at many functions, including the 1982 World Series. :)

~What year did the Army Air Corps officially become the United States Air Force?

Thanks for the contest! Congrats on the one year.

:0

1) The Saluki is perhaps the oldest known breed of domesticated dog. A study published in the May 21, 2004, issue of Science confirms the Saluki's antiquity through DNA analysis identifying it as one of the earliest breeds to diverge from wolves[sup][/sup]. Like elsewhere in the Fertile Crescent region, Saluki-like animals appear on the ancient ceramics from Susa and Sialk of 3500 BC in Iran, as well as on Egyptian tombs of 2100 BC.[sup][2][/sup] The breed had been occasionally imported to England before 1840, however there was no serious interest until the Hon. Florence Amherst imported a breeding pair of Salukis from Lower Egypt in 1895 and began working to popularize the breed. The Kennel Club recognized Salukis in 1923. Widely admired for its beauty, speed and endurance, the Saluki is a sighthound and historically traveled throughout the Middle East with nomadic desert tribes over an area stretching from the Sahara to the Caspian Sea. As a result, different Saluki subtypes, varying mostly in color and coat, can be found across this widely scattered area.

2) Southern Illinois

3) Steve Finley, Walt Frazier, Brandon Jacobs

4) July 26 1947

edit to say, thanks for the contest!

:FACEPALM!: :sign:

Modo.... thanks for the congrats

But my friend a Saluki isn't slow enough to be in the shadow of a Huskie...
tongue.gif
The only two canines that are faster are the Greyhound and the Whippet and only barely.

Cheers to all...

R

Gee, to think I'm only 30 minutes from SIU. And YeahThat'sJoe lives in C'dale!!

Modo.... thanks for the congrats

But my friend a Saluki isn't slow enough to be in the shadow of a Huskie...
tongue.gif
The only two canines that are faster are the Greyhound and the Whippet and only barely.

Cheers to all...

R

That may be my Illinois friend. Congrats again.

Gee, to think I'm only 30 minutes from SIU. And YeahThat'sJoe lives in C'dale!!

Used to date a girl from Benton along time ago...nice town...and home to SIU's former BBall coach Rich Herrin I do believe....

Former NBA Player, Bulls Coach, and analyst Doug Collins, and John Malkovich....

Cheers,

R