• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Benriach Solstice 2nd Ed. 17 Year Old~

So . . . about the Solstice . . . well . . . it's like this:

pathofsun_40deg.jpg

Which let our ancestors do really cool shit like this:

stonehenge-winter-solstice-2003-01.jpg

What? :whistling:

Oh, okay, I'm really talking about THIS:

benriach_17yo_solstice.jpg

Not shite like THIS! :laugh:

druids_stonehenge.jpg

So glad we could clear that up! :sign:

Seriously, while I've mentioned many times that Glendronach Revival is my favorite Scotch, Benriach is actually my favorite distillery . . . they do a lot of distinctive, unusual caskings that all seem to tend toward big, mouthfilling explosions of flavor. I like the cut of their jib! :thumbs:

Now, people sometimes tend to favor either Islay or Speyside; either you like peat or you like sherry casks. I like both, but I'm definitely a Speyside guy, so when I noticed there were suddenly (it seemed) a lot of Scotches on the shelves with BOTH, the first thing that came to mind was imagining a half and half dram of Laphroiag and Glendronach. ???

But I was still kind of curious, and then this expression came across my radar, and I thought, well, if anybody can pull that off, Benriach can. It didn't hurt that it was port casked instead of the usual sherry, either, or that it was 17 years old, or that it was 100 proof . . . and AVB was kind enough to track it down for me on the last Scotch buy.

So here I am, drinking Solstice on the solstice . . . :cool:

Ray, I'm going to need more. :love:

Anyway, review time . . . extraordinary would not be excessive praise here. This is really, really, just ridiculously tasty Scotch. A brilliant jewel-toned blood amber in color, with a nose of spiced pears and a thick but more syrupy than oily mouthfeel, it opens with a heady blast of deep, earthy peat and rich smoke with undertones of char, followed by round, ruby fruit tones like apple and dried cherry on the swirl, and a long, smoky/salty finish.

Like I said . . . Benriach does BIG flavors. This is huge even by their standards, but balanced and smooth, with a 100 proof backbone giving it fire.

A fine, fine ending to the longest day of the year. Find one if you can.

~Boar

It really wasn't that bad, actually. Bit over $100, which is usually my "stopping point" when it comes to Scotch. I made an exception! ;)

~Boar

Nice. I have the Benriach Dark Rum. Maybe one day I'll come across this one or on the next Scotch buy.

I drink most Scotch neat except Arberlour Abunadh. Too much tingle :)

If not, see if where you bought the Dark Rum has Benriach's Tawny Port Cask . . . it's another winner. :thumbs:

I've been known put a single ice cube in the Aberlour a'bunadh. Sometimes two. :blush:

~Boar

Back