• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best 2nd's

ThinBlueLine

Holts and Thompsons and the like are always selling 2nd's or blemished cigars from popular brands. Any recommendations for the better ones? Do they smoke and hold together as well as they are supposed to? Are the blems just a color issue? Thanks

In my opinion, buy Buena Vista reservas or limitadas on sale. I'd suggest using the forum search function to read through less expensive/cheaper/value cigar lists compiled. It's better to have spent your money on a better quality product. Can you smoke them? Likely yes, will you have the same experience as those that passed quality control? Probably not. I've had a handful of naked or 2nd type sticks, sadly each one disappointed. The only one I've ever had that tasted/performed anywhere near a 1st was a naked Camacho with a Habano or natural wrapper leaf in a corona/corona gorda size.

I don't know about the more current offerings, as cigar makers have really multiplied, in recent years. I'm a little out of touch with new stuff for the past yr or two.

For a very long time, a lot of those 2nds were, in fact, not 2nds. They were unique lines. True 2nds were pretty rare. JR Cigars Honduran Consuegras were lauded as true 2nds for many years.
I tried those a few times, and I'd say 50% of them were decent. I tend to like Llaneza blends. That said, I haven't tried buying any in many years.

Let's face it, the cigar industry knows what it's doing in regards to pricing.

I think if I were to open a shop, I would stay away from so called 2nds, and I would carry the Oliva Bundles. I've known a few shops who said that those were a big part of their business/cash flow.

If I was going to try a "2nd" I think I would try Carrillo (EPC). I don't know if they are bonafide, but he is a good blender.

Budget friendly, I like Oliva G and Padron standard series.

I thought 2nd were just supposed to be blemished. And the tobacco inside and the roll were exactly the same as firsts. Guess not.

Thanks

I have no real idea, but I'm sure that's what they want you to think. The idea that there are bundles and bundles coming out if a "1sts" production line is hard to believe.

Regardless, though, if you find one you like, enjoy it!

You're not getting anything from 2nds, quality wise, that you wouldn't get from any decent "bundle" cigar . . . and usually less. Years back, I used to stretch the cigar budget a bit with Flor de Oliva bundles and Old Henrys. Now I just smile and pretend not to care about price! :confused:

~Boar

Man, do I miss the pre-90's boom El Creditos/LGC 2nds.....they were some great smokes for CHEAP.

There's a rumor that Diamond Crown seconds are sold in Europe under a different name, but I think that seconds for the most part end up getting smoked then and there by the torceadors. There are outstanding values out there, but I don't smoke very much anymore so I try to go for quality every time.

The Panacea seconds offered on their website are pretty solid and I would have to guess they are true seconds since that company is very small.
Totally agree. Excellent seconds. The real deal. Now I need to buy some.

There are so many now. More than ever. It just depends on preference. Google what you like and the word "seconds" and go for it. At worst you're not out much. Usually, the best factories don't produce bad cigars.

There are a couple vendors who offer up cc 2nds. These are usually are left over from singles sales, partially damaged boxes with surviving smokes in need of a good home, some nicks on foot/wrapper, some green spots or uglier irregular wrappers,or regularly offered up as they may not meet the upper crust selection criteria some vendors have.