• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best Pipe shop in....

lmno1

I've found a lot of cigar shops in my area that carry pipes and pipe tobacco, but no one ever knows anything about pipes! I've yet to find a place where the owners or operators actually smoke pipes.

Any good pipe shops in the San Fernando Valley/ Los Angeles area?

The guy who owns the B&M near me (Clifton Park. NY) whos name I don't remember has been able to finance his cigar shop by being a famous pipe maker. He sells his pipes for a hefty price. I have seen a few in the store over a thousand dollars each. I don't have any interest so I really don't pay attention. There are a lot of pipe guys in the store all the time. He must have 300 kinds of pipe tobacco to select from. He also has a $100,000.00 walk in with $500,000.00 worth of cigars inside. Nice place, very top shelf.

Although its not in your area I would recommend going to IwanRies.com. They are a tobacconist out here in Chicago that has been family owned and operated since before the Civil War. They have some of the nicest, most knowledgeable persons in the tobacco business I have ever run accross. You can even call them up and they will take their time talking over the phone with you on a number of things including pipe tobacco. They too are very big, I once estimated these guys have got to have over $2 Million of merchandise in cigars, pipes, humidors and accessories on their floor at any one time.

Hope this helps, I know when I started smoking a pipe a few years ago they were of great help to me!

Although its not in your area I would recommend going to IwanRies.com. They are a tobacconist out here in Chicago that has been family owned and operated since before the Civil War. They have some of the nicest, most knowledgeable persons in the tobacco business I have ever run accross. You can even call them up and they will take their time talking over the phone with you on a number of things including pipe tobacco. They too are very big, I once estimated these guys have got to have over $2 Million of merchandise in cigars, pipes, humidors and accessories on their floor at any one time.

Hope this helps, I know when I started smoking a pipe a few years ago they were of great help to me!

I checked out website. Good stuff. I did find a great pipe shop in Old Town San Diego, I was pleased!

these guys have got to have over $2 Million of merchandise in cigars, pipes, humidors and accessories on their floor at any one time.

I'd say they have that just in "regular" inventory. Some of the collectibles have to add up to a lot more than that. Plus, all their stock that is not out on the floor. Gotta be one of the neatest places to browse through.

So if you were going to start smoking a pipe what would you start with???

Great site!

Yeah, god only knows what they have in the back shop. I didn't want to overestimate the merchandise, I figure if I could get a team of 6 guys to knock that place off, we could all walk out of there with a cool million in merchandise! :)

these guys have got to have over $2 Million of merchandise in cigars, pipes, humidors and accessories on their floor at any one time.

I'd say they have that just in "regular" inventory. Some of the collectibles have to add up to a lot more than that. Plus, all their stock that is not out on the floor. Gotta be one of the neatest places to browse through.

If you mean a pipe, I would start with a relatively basic pipe, don't spend too much finding out if you are going to enjoy pipe smoking or not. I have about 6 pipes, and one of my favorites was actually a bargain bin type! LOL. Can get good quality pipes for less than a $100 such as a Comoy or GBD.

Pipe tobacco is a little different! Depends on your tastes. Aromatic tobaccos, try something blended with Black Cavendish, non-aromatic, well I would try just about any and everything, but you may want to stay away from blends that have Latakia in them for a bit. Maybe try Dunhills Standard Medium Mixture, I like it. Iwan Ries also has a "British Rich" mixture that after a few years of aging becomes quite tasty! Hopefully your pipe shop will let you try different types of tobaccos in the store so you can see what you like. If not, head out to Chicago and we'll have a HERF and head over to Iwan Ries where you can try smoking different blends until your face turns green!! Hahaha :)

So if you were going to start smoking a pipe what would you start with???

Great site!

I actually was into pipe smoking about 30 years ago owned half dozen pipes back then. My biggest problem was I could never keep the damn tabacco lit! But maybe its time to give a try again....

That was my problem too, and I explained it to a guy at Iwan Ries, the guy showed me how he personally packs his pipe, lights it, and his smoking pace.

Important thing is to of course make sure that you get a good pipe with a hole drilled in the center and towards the bottom of the bowl.

Your first pack try this (the three packs method): Sprinkle in tobacco to top of bowl, holding pipe with one hand gently tap tap it with your other to shift tobacco into place. With tamper pack down into bowl, but make sure not to pack it hard. Second step is to repeat the first, tamping the tobacco down a little firmer, but the tobacco should still be springy to the touch. The third pack should just top off your pipe and be just below the rim level, again pack down with tamper but want to be able to press the tobacco and feel it springy. Then after a good light, making sure to get all the tobacco fired, try a good smoking pace, it should be much more frequent than a cigar. Make sure as you smoke along to gently tamp down the tobacco from time to time, this will keep your bowl burning, when the levels of smoke decrease thats when its time to tamp.

Good luck! Don't give up, you will get it!

I actually was into pipe smoking about 30 years ago owned half dozen pipes back then. My biggest problem was I could never keep the damn tabacco lit! But maybe its time to give a try again....

Very tempting to pick it up again. Not a lot of local shops here in the Seattle area anymore. I need to do some research... or maybe I'll just find an online shop its probably easier. Any other sites to recommend?

Unfortunately I am very, very opinionated on this one, once you have found "the best" its hard to keep looking (I am of course referring to Iwan Ries). Check and see if you have a Tinderbox store in your area, they carry a selection of pipes (most overpriced) and some selections of tobacco-only problem is you have to buy a sampler, don't think they will let you "pinch a little" and smoke it.

I don't smoke my pipes a ton, I got into smoking them as a way to help "mask" the scent of my cigar smoking. I had noticed if I smoked some cavendish after a cigar, my apartment smelt far less offensive the next day. I smoke my pipes more frequently in the winter time and have picked them up a few times already on a chilly night:)

Good luck with your search!

Very tempting to pick it up again. Not a lot of local shops here in the Seattle area anymore. I need to do some research... or maybe I'll just find an online shop its probably easier. Any other sites to recommend?

http://www.smokingpipes.com/
http://www.marscigars.com/
http://www.cupojoes.com/
http://www.4noggins.com/
http://www.frenchyspipes.com/index.php

Just started, but after a little over a month or reading and research, I placed orders with the first three on the list and so far they are great to deal with (the others are some of the top recommended places on the pipe boards I follow as well). between those, you'll usually find the cheapest of the mainstream stuff, and plenty of other benefits (cheap or free shipping, etc)

knoxcigar.com -- I've ordered from these guys...no problems, got just what I needed.
vegassmokes.com -- never ordered, but they have lots of good info.

I'd say get a few corn cobs, or some inexpensive basket pipes and see what kind of tobacco you like. Also, follow dbperea's advice on packing the tobacco into the bowl. It's all about the packing.