• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

best way to lower the humidity?

[OT] ykm loki

my analog Hydrometer is showing around 80%. What is the best way to lower the humidity, just pull the hudifier out and wait for it to go down or what?

Hi there. First question, Did you calibrate it to see what the true reading is? By far, I am no expert, but the idea I got was that analogs are not the most accurate and mostly for show. Get yourself a digital, although you should calibrate it too.

This is a quick article on how to calibrate, click here

Hope that helps you some. :thumbs:

before today I didn't have one at all. The analog was free and I'm not sure if it's calibrated but it was showing 70% before I put my sticks into the humi

Are you certain your meter is accurate? If it is within %3 and you know the +/- difference, do this. Take a couple of cedar divider sticks that come with boxes of cigars, put them in an oven that is pre-heated to 200. Leave them in for 15 minutes. Then put them in the freezer for 30 minutes. Then put them in the humi until the meter comes down 2 points lower than your desired level.

Emo

Emo, that is great advise. The problem is I have yet to buy a box, thus no sticks.

I just pulled the humidifer out of the humi. Let's see what happens

ykm loki' date='May 1 2006, 09:16 PM' post='317190']
before today I didn't have one at all. The analog was free and I'm not sure if it's calibrated but it was showing 70% before I put my sticks into the humi

I would say calibrate it to see where you are at. This way you know for sure. Is it adjustable or fixed? You may find a small set screw in the back.

I took the humidifier out about 10 minutes ago and just left the hygrometer in and it's showing just over 70% now

Cracking open the humi for a bit doesn't hurt either.

Definitely calibrate it. The analog that came with my humi is off by +12% minimum. I trust my digital much more, the analog is worthless.

OT...... PM me your addy if you still need some cedar sticks, I have a few I can spare.

Cracking open the humi for a bit doesn't hurt either.
Agreed. I've been known to leave the lid open for an hour when a new batch of "wet" smokes comes in.

This of couse assumes that the RH in your home is lower than the RH in your humidor. Not always the case, in some parts...... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

Viper's beads. Search here for Viper or Heartfelt. You can get them at Heartfeltindustries.com. These will regulate humidity. In other words, if the humidity is above their rating, they will absorb moisture. If below, they will emit water vapor. Check them out.

Get either Mark's humidi-puck or Viper Beads.

Thanks bro! :thumbs:

The Humidi-Puck contains the same media that David at Heartfelt sells (Heartfelt also carries the Humidi-Puck as well). :thumbs:

Definitely pick up a digital hygrometer & calibrate it as they tend to be anywhere from dead on to 3% off.

~Mark

simple solution for now, just leave the humidor open for a while and let the cool air dry out some of the excess humidity in the humidor.

get the beads, thay are better than the standard sponge humidifier.