• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Big 10 expansion

Forge

From what I heard, the Big 10 offered 4 schools a chance to be in the big 10:

1. Notre Dame (a no brainer)
2. Missouri
3. Nebraska
4. Rutgers

Notre Dame is really a no brainer, great college football history and good academics. But, will they finally cave after the lackluster seasons they have had over the last decade?

Missouri has a large television following in the state, so good for Big 10 television. But, they don’t have the tradition in football of the Huskers or Notre Dame and don’t have the academics of Rutgers or Notre Dame. I'd hate to see Nebraska go and Missouri stay - or vice versa. As a Husker fan, I like the rivalry we have had lately.

Rutgers, honestly I have never watched them or know anything about their school or football program.

Lastly, my boys - the Huskers. At first I was shocked we would even think about leaving the big 12. But after some thought, I think it would be a wise move. Texas really runs the Big 12, they get whatever they want year after year. Don’t get me wrong, they are the powerhouse year after year in the big 12 with Oklahoma right there with them, but they get more money and more say into the rules of the big 12 than any other school. One of the main benefits of going to the big10 would be equal share of the money and larger television base. I would love to see yearly games vs. Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa and Pen State (and hopefully Notre Dame). Academics in the Big 12 is dismal to say the least. I would love to see us get some of the money towards academics like Michigan and Ohio State. Overall, I think it would be a great move. I think if Missouri went too, we could keep that Rivalry and hopefully get a out of conference game with Oklahoma every year to rekindle that rivalry (something the BIG 12 killed).

What’s your thoughts?

This was reported by a local radio station in Kansas City yesterday and caused quite a stir. I think where there's smoke, there's fire - but let's remember nothing has been confirmed at this point and no offers have been officially made.

As a Mizzou fan, it makes complete sense to me and we are a natural fit, much more so than Nebraska. But, if this ends up being true, I'll be glad to have Nebraska in the Big 10 with us. Quite a change from the ol' Big 8 days (which I miss).

Big picture, this will create a tidal wave of conference realignment. I predict four or five super-conferences.

Obviously, had Notre Dame just joined the Big 10 where it should have been all along, none of this may have occurred (or should I say, about to occur).

2. Missouri
3. Nebraska
4. Rutgers

Notre Dame is really a no brainer, great college football history and good academics. But, will they finally cave after the lackluster seasons they have had over the last decade?

Missouri has a large television following in the state, so good for Big 10 television. But, they don’t have the tradition in football of the Huskers or Notre Dame and don’t have the academics of Rutgers or Notre Dame. I'd hate to see Nebraska go and Missouri stay - or vice versa. As a Husker fan, I like the rivalry we have had lately.
I know as an arrogant Nebraska fan this might be hard for you to believe, but they play other sports outside f football in both conferences. Missouri may not be the "traditional power" of NU and Notre Dame, but I would say over the past 10 years we've more than held our own against those schools, and nationally. And if you want to talk basketball, baseball, etc. well Nebraska doesn't exactly have the tradition that Missouri does. Academically we may not be Notre Dame, but being one of only 63 schools to be a member of the Association of American Universities I would guess we hold some academic appeal also. We may not be "Nebraska" but I would say the Big 10/16/24 would do pretty damn good to get Missouri despite what you may think.

I know as an arrogant Nebraska fan this might be hard for you to believe

Whoa! Name calling really isnt necassary.

I think the Big 10 would be a better conference with Missouri. I am not sure where your anger is coming from, I wasnt trying to put down Mizzou by any means, simply giving my my opinion on the 4 schools they listed.

Mike, I agree. I also miss the days of the Big 8 :) We will have to wait and see how the cards fall this summer.

Other than Notre Dame, I think Mizzou would be the second best fit. Nebraska simply has football, and not much else to offer. It will be interesting to watch. I hope both our teams are in the same conference next year, not matter which one it is.

I know as an arrogant Nebraska fan this might be hard for you to believe

Whoa! Name calling really isnt necassary.

I think the Big 10 would be a better conference with Missouri. I am not sure where your anger is coming from, I wasnt trying to put down Mizzou by any means, simply giving my my opinion on the 4 schools they listed.

I guess I got upset with the fact that you basically stated all MU had to offer was a television market, and you basically poo-poo'd our athletics and academics saying we didn't measure up to the other schools.

As an sports fan I can see the various reasons to bring ND into the Big 10. I think those reasons go far beyond just geographic and athletic issues.

As a lifelong, live-and-die with ND fan, I think it will kill the allure and mystique of the school. ND football is an institution on its own and plays a national schedule, recruits nationally and like it or not is the most identifiable college football program around. When they win, the world at large hates them, when they lose, they are still front page news.

The football program on its own generates enough money to fund most of the athletic department and also to fund many academic scholarships and programs. I've seen "estimates" that Big 10 schools receive about $22 million dollars per year from the Big 10's TV deal, bowl revenue and merchandising but nothing concrete as to what an actual number is.

ND in merchandising alone makes about 12-15 million dollars as they control all of the licensing of their merchandise. Add that to the NBC contract and other revenues, there is no way joining the Big 10 will be better financially.

Joining the Big 10, will hurt financially and also regionalize a nationally known school. Best example is Penn St., they were indepedent, played a national schedule and then joined the Big 10. They are and will always be the 3rd most known school in the Big 10 behind Michigan and Ohio St. With the exception of this coming year where they play Alabama, they have filled their out of conference schedule with has-beens and never will be's. Also JoePa, hates ND with a passion of 10000 suns.

Say what you want about ND's schedule (to which I think it is now watered down)but the strength of it still far surpasses that of most of the Big 10 easily. ND does not or has not ever played a D-1aa school which most of the big 10 does.

I wish the Big 10 well on their expansion, I just pray ND makes the right decision and stays out of it.

just my .02

As an Illini fan, I'm not to thrilled with any of this talk, though I'm far less opposed to this expansion than the possibility of boosting March Madness to 96 teams. I might be willing to kill someone over that one.

Most Big Televen fans don't really want Notre Dame. Sure, their academics and location are a good fit (though as a research institution, they're woefully less competitive than one might assume), but when the conference has reached out to them in the past, we got the brushoff. Many people find many of their fans obnoxious, arrogant, condescending, etc., and most of us are happy enough with the status quo. Adding one more school to have an even twelve isn't the end of the world, but getting into the 14-16 team neighborhood is asinine.

I think the emergence of these superconferences is lame and that it's unfortunate that conglomeration seems to be so much more profitable than keeping things reasonably and regionally organized. Look at the Big East--they've got Tampa, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, DC, upstate New York, New York City-ish, Providence, Cincinnati, Chicago, and Louisville to name a few locations. Boy, that South Florida/Pittsburgh rivalry sure is a barn burner, eh? The people in those two places HATE each other! And DePaul/UConn? Wow! Talk about some tradition!

It sucks. Sure, it might be easier for fans of a particular team who happen to live in a place once considered to be "out of market" to watch a game on TV, but in this day and age of satellite TV packages, there's really no excuse to miss anything more than a few of the random preseason cupcake sorts of tuneup games anyway. I don't feel sorry for the casual out of market fan who can't be bothered to make the effort at this point. Geographic reach of TV stations (and the Big Ten Network is largely to blame for this developing arms race) for the sake of increased ad rates might be great for the networks, and it might be great for the schools in terms of bigger paychecks, but at what cost? Gutting a hundred years of college sports traditions, rivalries, alignments, etc? Who needs it? What's broken about the current arrangements?

I'm a bigger fan of college basketball than college football, so while having a few more teams might allow for an end-of-season football championship game, it's going to make an already lopsided college basketball schedule even more uneven.

Most Big Televen fans don't really want Notre Dame. Sure, their academics and location are a good fit (though as a research institution, they're woefully less competitive than one might assume), but when the conference has reached out to them in the past, we got the brushoff. Many people find many of their fans obnoxious, arrogant, condescending, etc., and most of us are happy enough with the status quo. Adding one more school to have an even twelve isn't the end of the world, but getting into the 14-16 team neighborhood is asinine.

I knew in my rant I forgot something, yes ND is lacking in the Research/Graduate/Doctoral side of its academics compared to many of the Big 10 and joining it will only make those programs better. I wanted to note that but forgot.

I agree with many of your points. Most of the Big 10 doesn't want them and most ND fans don't want the Big 10, why do it, right? I don't get it either.

Superconferences are a joke. Might as well spin off 30-40 schools and create a new version of the NCAA, its almost the same thing.

Superconferences are a joke. Might as well spin off 30-40 schools and create a new version of the NCAA, its almost the same thing.

That's the future of college football. The big boys will split off into its own division, with 4 super conferences of 14 or 16 teams each. More importantly, they'll have their own national championship and make tons of money.

I don't like it, either, but that's what's going to happen. The first domino is the Big 10 expansion. After that, katy bar the door.

2. Missouri
3. Nebraska
4. Rutgers

Rutgers, honestly I have never watched them or know anything about their school or football program.

Lastly, my boys - the Huskers. At first I was shocked we would even think about leaving the big 12. But after some thought, I think it would be a wise move. Texas really runs the Big 12, they get whatever they want year after year. Don’t get me wrong, they are the powerhouse year after year in the big 12 with Oklahoma right there with them, but they get more money and more say into the rules of the big 12 than any other school. One of the main benefits of going to the big10 would be equal share of the money and larger television base. I would love to see yearly games vs. Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa and Pen State (and hopefully Notre Dame). Academics in the Big 12 is dismal to say the least. I would love to see us get some of the money towards academics like Michigan and Ohio State. Overall, I think it would be a great move. I think if Missouri went too, we could keep that Rivalry and hopefully get a out of conference game with Oklahoma every year to rekindle that rivalry (something the BIG 12 killed).

What’s your thoughts?

I dont mean to be an a-hole but Oklahoma is the power house of the big12. IMHO I still think ND will join the Big East, just a hunch though.

I dont mean to be an a-hole but Oklahoma is the power house of the big12. IMHO I still think ND will join the Big East, just a hunh though.

I'll be an a-hole...

Almost made me chuckle with this one...... almost.

Oklahoma?

Powerhouse?

When is the last time you guys went to a BCS game and actually won?

I'll tell you, 2001... OU- 13 Fl St.- 2... Since then y'all have been nothing but an embarresment to the Big-12... Losing to WVU in the fashion you did... Boise St... USC... Just a tip, going to bowl games and losing them does not make you a powerhouse, it makes you a joke...

How exactly are you the powerhouse in the Big-12 when UT goes to they're bowl games and wins?

That's the future of college football. The big boys will split off into its own division, with 4 super conferences of 14 or 16 teams each. More importantly, they'll have their own national championship and make tons of money.

I don't like it, either, but that's what's going to happen. The first domino is the Big 10 expansion. After that, katy bar the door.

I agree 100%, these conferences getting bigger is the first step towards that.

If ND does join a conference, it would have to be the Big 10 or the ACC, the Big East is a basketball confernence with many schools, Villanova, St. John's, Georgetown,etc. not having D-1 football programs or any football program at all.

I dont mean to be an a-hole but Oklahoma is the power house of the big12. IMHO I still think ND will join the Big East, just a hunh though.

I'll be an a-hole...

Almost made me chuckle with this one...... almost.

Oklahoma?

Powerhouse?

When is the last time you guys went to a BCS game and actually won?

I'll tell you, 2001... OU- 13 Fl St.- 2... Since then y'all have been nothing but an embarresment to the Big-12... Losing to WVU in the fashion you did... Boise St... USC... Just a tip, going to bowl games and losing them does not make you a powerhouse, it makes you a joke...

How exactly are you the powerhouse in the Big-12 when UT goes to they're bowl games and wins?

Not an OU fan, just saying that 9 championships are better then say 4.

I'll be an a-hole... Almost made me chuckle with this one...... almost. Oklahoma? Powerhouse? When is the last time you guys went to a BCS game and actually won? I'll tell you, 2001... OU- 13 Fl St.- 2... Since then y'all have been nothing but an embarresment to the Big-12... Losing to WVU in the fashion you did... Boise St... USC... Just a tip, going to bowl games and losing them does not make you a powerhouse, it makes you a joke... How exactly are you the powerhouse in the Big-12 when UT goes to they're bowl games and wins? Not an OU fan, just saying that 9 championships are better then say 4.
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/m-footbl-national-championships.html <BR><BR>I think a decade is long enough to take OU out of the "powerhouse" category... <BR><BR>Whether you're a fan or not, you should really get the facts straight before posting&nbsp;outrageous claims about someone's school of choice.

I am also curious as to what ripple effect this will have not only on the big 12, but for all of NCAA. If both the Huskers and Mizzou leave the big 12, what will happen to them? The north division will be crushed, with the two best teams in the north (just my opinion) leaving. Who could they bring in? Would they move Oklahoma to the north to make it competetive?

I guess we wont know for several more months, but it is interesting to follow.

I'll be an a-hole... Almost made me chuckle with this one...... almost. Oklahoma? Powerhouse? When is the last time you guys went to a BCS game and actually won? I'll tell you, 2001... OU- 13 Fl St.- 2... Since then y'all have been nothing but an embarresment to the Big-12... Losing to WVU in the fashion you did... Boise St... USC... Just a tip, going to bowl games and losing them does not make you a powerhouse, it makes you a joke... How exactly are you the powerhouse in the Big-12 when UT goes to they're bowl games and wins? Not an OU fan, just saying that 9 championships are better then say 4.
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/m-footbl-national-championships.html <BR><BR>I think a decade is long enough to take OU out of the "powerhouse" category... <BR><BR>Whether you're a fan or not, you should really get the facts straight before posting&nbsp;outrageous claims about someone's school of choice.

My bad, 7 is still quite a bit more then 4. In the last ten years both OU and texas has won 1 title. so to say texas is a powerhouse and OU is not, would it not be a little unfair?

My bad, 7 is still quite a bit more then 4. In the last ten years both OU and texas has won 1 title. so to say texas is a powerhouse and OU is not, would it not be a little unfair?

That 1 title went to Texas, with OU losing five out of seven BCS bowl games. Losses to LSU, USC, WVU, Boise St., Florida. Sure, OU can go to the big game, but they lose. When Texas goes, they win.

3-0 in BCS games 7-3 overall in bowl games... Wins over USC, LSU, Michigan, Iowa

Just so happens that the teams OU (the powerhouse) couldn't handle, Texas wins against. Like it or not, Texas can win when the pressure is on. OU tends to fold like oragami...

Walks like duck, talks like a duck, must be a choke artist...

That 1 title went to Texas, with OU losing five out of seven BCS bowl games. Losses to LSU, USC, WVU, Boise St., Florida. Sure, OU can go to the big game, but they lose. When Texas goes, they win.

3-0 in BCS games 7-3 overall in bowl games... Wins over USC, LSU, Michigan, Iowa

Just so happens that the teams OU (the powerhouse) couldn't handle, Texas wins against. Like it or not, Texas can win when the pressure is on. OU tends to fold like oragami...

Walks like duck, talks like a duck, must be a choke artist...

OK