• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Big Favor ...

MAS_Puros

Me as a wee one with my bottle of Abyss
Not sure if this is the right place to post this so my apologies in advance.

Ok my fellow CP's brothers. Here is the situation, I went to the mall with my fiance today, as always we stopped at the pet store. So she fell in love with this mini maltese dog ... cute dog and I know my kids would love it as well, but the crazy place is asking $2200 for the dang thing. Me personally I would rather get a black lab!

Anyways, I live in Southern Cal and was wondering if any of my brothers on CP can point me in the right direction ... maybe a breeder or someone who is selling this type of dog or any type of toy pooch. I was hoping to get this as an early Valentine present. I would be in your debt.

PM me any info.

Thanks all.

Mike

Don't ever, ever buy a dog from a pet store. They most likely come from puppy mills. Find a reputable breeder.

Doc

Thanks for the warning guys!

Does anyone know any breeders in my area?

Hi Mike, like you did with cigars, I recommend you find a Maltese forum. There are several out there. They will be able to point you in the direction of a reputable breeder, hopefully one with a litter that will be ready by 2/14. Unfortunately, there are too many puppy mills and greedy or unknowledgeable breeders out there to leave it to chance.

BTW, you can always tell a good breeder, he'll ask you a lot of questions and seem reluctant to sell you a dog until he's satisfied that you'll be a good owner.

Doc.

Parent Club: American Maltese Association, Inc.
Breeder Referral: Julie Phillips; EST (239) 549-4446; juliep@swfla.rr.com
Breeder Directory: See Parent Club website - Breeders� List
Regional Clubs: See Parent Club website - Member Clubs

See if this helps Mike.

+1 on buying the puppies at the mall. A friend on a motorcycle forum bought one through one of those stores and the puppy was sickly from the very start. Unfortunately, the pup passed away in a few months because of sickness. His fiance was heart broken because she got attached.

If you aren't dead set on a pure breed or willing to take the time, my parents adopted their dog through www.petfinder.com. You will be rescuing a puppy and it just feels much better than buying. There are still fee's associated with the adoption but for "shots" that are needed.

Hope this helps Mike.

Thank you all for your knowledge and information ... I will look around, I will surely keep everyone posted. :thumbs:

MIKE!!

Think long and hard my friend!! Fluffy white,yappy, bows in the hair, gunk around the eyes :sign:

Sorry bud. This thread just brought back a lot of memories . Quite a few years ago I dated a gal that bought one from a pet shop, then three weeks later her dad bought one. Like you I was always a lab, or retriever man. They would primp and fluff,and brush, and stick bows and sweaters on those dogs, it drove me absolutely crazy, there is no less manly dog on the planet. I just about lived there and I can still remember the shrill, nails on the chalk board explosion of yappy dog noise when the door bell rang.

They are BIG money and I really cannot understand it. They also bought both from a DR. X pet shop in the mall. The boys are right on the money about unhealthy, sickly dogs from those places.

COME ON MAN!! Do it for guys everywhere , get a Lab, a Boxer,American Eskimo,Husky,rat terrior something !! Remember my friend, they live for YEARS!!!! Any puppy will make her heart melt as soon as she sees it.

ABORT , ABORT , ABORT!!

Sorry to bring the negative vibe to your post MIKE. Please disregard my rant if you are really set on this breed, but I just wanted to share some insight from a different angle.

Good luck with your search. :whistling:

Mike

BTW, you can always tell a good breeder, he'll ask you a lot of questions and seem reluctant to sell you a dog until he's satisfied that you'll be a good owner.

Doc.

Yep. Also, you should ask to see the sire and dam and visit their kennel. A good breeder will have no problem with showing you around their place and letting you meet their dogs.

Find a breeder. BOTH of you go inspect the place, see the parents on premises. Let HER pick the puppy.

Well, I had always wanted a Boxer and Bulldog. I got both now. Same thing, we went to the mall and saw a Boxer we fell inlove with, $1700! Started looking in the paper for a breeder. Bought one for $250. They didn't have any other puppies available and the parents were "back in New Mexico" We suspected a stolen litter, and the puppy appeared to be only 5-6 weeks old as he was tiny, his stomach was round like he had the typical worms. After looking him over real good and talking with the wife we decided to go ahead and "rescue" him. Took him to the vet and it cost me some money but we saved him and he is the best dog I have ever had, I think he knows we saved.

Moral--USE A BREEDER!

Story two. Learning from the first, we also went to the mall just to look for a bulldog. They had a male that was fixed, which ment no breeding (obviously) if we so choose and no shows, $4200! Again we looked in the paper. We found a local breeder. The litter was not yet born. This is the way to go. We looked at the both the Dame and the Sire, and had a lengthy interview with the breeder. Everyone is correct, they will seem like they don't want to sell to you, don't be discouraged, this is a sign that hey truly care for quality and where the puppies go. We put a deposit, with the contingensy that it is first come first serve on color and sex, and of course healthy pups. Once the pups were born we were the first to see them and got first pick. We went once a week to him and this helped out HUGE when we brought him home, he already knew who we were.

A good, reputable breeder will also offer the same health guarantee that the "Puppy Mill Middle Man" shops offer, don't be fooled!

Do ALOT of research on the breed you are looking for. That way there are no suprises when the vet says "This is a common problem with this breed!" For example, the "Shit-Zoo" that the wife wanted, this dog has huge grooming needs and are just a pain in the a$$!

I recommend any mastiff breed -- anything with the name mastiff, but also the Boxer, Bulldog etc breed are in this class. Awesome with kids, hearty dogs, and very very loyal. They tend to pick one person that is their favorite, but also recognize who is in the family. Did I mention great with kids!?!

Sorry long post. . .

My wife found her shi tzu in a humane society, I guess its rare but worth a look or a call, only cost us $100 for his shots and to bail him out, he's full bred too according to the vet. Good luck in your hunt.

John

Doc.

My mother breed Welsh Terriors for years. Folks used to drive from all over the place to see those pups, and many went home empty handed. Doc is right bro.

I have a good friend in Nashville, TN who's maltese is about to have puppies. She is giving the puppies away but that probably doesn't help you out in SoCal. Hers is pretty small as well, but I don't think its a mini. Good luck with your search.

Doc.
Doc is on the money there. When we got our last little guy, the breeder insisted on visiting us at home with the "prospect", looked us and the yard over, and asked a ton of puppy and dog related questions. A good breeder understands their dogs and loves them, so they won't just put 'em in a window somewhere and hope for the best.

The size of the dog you want really depends on the amount of room you have and are willing to share with your dog. Our five little mutts share the house equally with us, and of course sleep on / in the bed with us, every night. We have three Chihuahua's in the herd, and I would suggest that if you are looking for a smaller breed, they are great little dogs and worth consideration. But, every dog owner will say that about their breed, right? As far as longevity goes, the little breeds can be healthy, up into the high teens. Our oldest dog, Rosie, is now 12 and still tears around just fine. Here's our "new kid on the block", Tutankhamen, or "Tut" for short....the boy king:

the_boy_king.jpg

As far as price goes, it's like anything; "market conditions" and demand will drive the prices. Also, to a large degree, you'll get what you pay for. Tut was $600.00 which is very reasonable for a purebred Chi. If you go to a breeder spending a K+ isn't out of the question, for most any quality dog.

Lastly, as others have said, there are a bunch of loving dogs at your local animal shelter that would cost far less than a breeder would charge, that really need a loving home. If the $$ is a consideration, and even if it isn't, you won't go wrong by taking a walk through the animal shelter and see if some little friend catches your eye and your heart at the same time.

The very best of luck - B.B.S.

PS: I liked your other avitar LOTS better..... :p

Adopt! Adopt! Adopt! At least give a look at your local shelter/ humane society. A "saved" dog will give you just as much pleasure as a "bought" dog. Plus you can look down your nose at the dumbasses that dropped 2K for a dog with the brains bred out of it.

NA

As others have so eloquently pointed out avoid the mall pet shops!! My sister-in-law fell in love with a Bichon Frise at her local mall, and just had to have him. I have no idea of the total amount of money she has put into that dog, but trust me, it's substantial! Those puppy mills that the mall pet shops buy their dogs from are horrific places. They let the dogs breed indiscriminately with no thought of anything but profit.

My wife and I are owned by a couple of small dogs that we got from local breeders, a Yorkshire Terrier and a miniature Poodle, and has been pointed out, a reputable breeder, it seems, looks for reasons to not sell you their dogs, but they are being cautious to make sure their dogs are placed in what they consider appropriate homes.

Smaller dogs are, generally, longer lived than larger dogs, but every bit all dog!! Our girls can get as rough and tumble as any of the larger dogs I have had, and more importantly, in my mind, small dogs = small messes! The downside with the long haired smaller dogs is the maintenance of their coats. Our Yorkie requires regular bathing and combing if you don't like dealing with tangled, matted hair. So when considering a breed, consider how much maintenance will be required.

Good luck in your quest, but rest assured when you see that special puppy, regardless of the breed or size, you'll know that it will be becoming part of the family!