• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Big Smoke

Apathy78

I was fortunate enough to pick up a bottle of this back from the Holiday Scotch buy, thanks AVB. :thumbs:

I am a big fan of the Islay malts, so needless to say, I was excited about the thought of tasting another Islay malt, especially one called Big Smoke. :D

This will be one of the simplest reviews of all time.
They don’t call this Big Smoke for nothing. That is exactly what you get with this bottle – BIG SMOKE. Weighing in at 60% ABV it packs a punch too.

The color is relatively clear, the amount of alcohol is very apparent in the color of this offering.
The aroma is typical Islay very smoky and quite pleasant. The odor of alcohol is also apparent, however not to the point where it is too overpowering. It blends nicely with the sheer smokiness of the scotch.
Being that this is 60% scotch, I decided to try it with and without a splash of water.

Neat – Powerfully smoky, with a very strong alcohol taste. Oddly enough the strong alcohol taste did not diminish the wonderful flavor of the scotch. I really enjoyed it neat.

With water – Adding a light splash of water to this scotch slightly took away the alcohol taste. The core flavor was still very much there. In fact I might dare to say that it opened up the flavor a bit. This may be because of the diminished alcohol taste. I must say that adding water made this a bit smoother and easier to drink.

Overall I really enjoyed this scotch either way, with or without water. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is a fan of the Islay malts.

I smoked an Opus X 4 with this scotch and it was just a wonderful experience.
The Opus X really complemented this scotch well. :love:

Thanks for the review :thumbs: While I have since found Big Smoke 80 proof in the US the big 120 proof version still can't be gotten here. Hopefully this will change if the lower proof version does well.

Great review! Will be picking up another bottle of this myself from abroad.