• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Black Maple Hill 21 yo bourbon?

SamClemmons

eloquent absurdity
Okay, AVB was kind enough to forward me a dram or two of this through a box pass a couple months ago and further complicated my life by requesting a review of same. As an occasional drinker of the hard stuff (I prefer frozen fruity drinks in summer) and novice reviewer I will attempt only not to appear an idiot.

Tonight I poured a generous portion into a tumbler and lit a spanking new Untold Story maduro. I fully expected a mellow and not terribly invasive bourbon with the usual malty carmel aroma. It smelled right but I swear it had ryeish hint to it. The first taste was incredibly peppery and anything but mellow unless you think 5 alarm chili mellow. This was a bit harsh and a shock to the palate, not a bad shock but certainly not what I was expecting. It was kinda sweet but dry and didn't have a whole lot of finish... just sorta disappeared. The following drinks continued with the pepper but mellowed considerably as I lost the feeling in my tongue and throat. I swear I could taste rye in this bourbon. Naw, maybe it was the hallucinations that set in shortly after my second drink.
So... my first, last and only review is done.

Thanks AVB. It was certainly enjoyable.

NA

That took some arm twisting, maybe I'll get another one out of you at some later date. :thumbs: There is a fair amount of rye in that particular mash bill although I don't think it is THAT peppery. :p

Yeah, well if you drink this sort of thing regular I gotta congratulate you on tasting anything. Straight bourbon and rye are WINTER drinks for me. Summer is umbrella drinks.

NA

You can put bourbon over ice.

And add an umbrella too if that helps. ;)