• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blends

DePasta

Stop it! That tickles!
What are everyones thoughts on blends? My wife has gotten me into wines and she is drinking primarily imported blends. I have had several including the Red I am drinking right now. It is Argentina import called Trumpeter (2002) which is a Malbec/Syrah blend. Seemed to complement the Edge Maduro Torpedo I smoked with it.

I will be attending my first tasting tomorrow so hopefully I will learn some of the skills of identifying tastes stc.

Dan

I have enjoyed most of the blends that I have had. I am a big fan of Malbec but now it seems they only use it in blends as it did not do well as a stand alone.

Most of the best/most famous wines in the world are "blends" and not pure varietals.

Heck, many US wines labeled as varietals only have to be 75% that grape, so they could be (and often are) blends too, really. Non Us wines usually aren't even named by the grapes at all, but by the growing location (which implies the varieties, but that's wine-course territory).

To summarize: Don't sweat a varietal name too much.

Hmmmm ...... I may be looking into making my own blend next season. One of my winemaker friends is all set up for me to make wine at his winery.

It seems there are more and more CA minemakers finally getting into blends. A trend I hope continues.

:cool:

I love Meritage's..my current fave is a french blend involving..cabneret and a syrah...good stuff

I tried a couple of really nice GSM's (Grenache, Mourvedre, Syrah) this past week. GSM's are relatively new for me but I'm going to try a few other producers.

:cool:

Piat D'or Merlot Shiraz... There is a blend that makes me stop in my tracks and just makes me wanna untuck my shirt, loosen the top button of my blouse, and makes my eyes get that bedroomy glaze...
Spicy, sweet, hints of currant.. aww hell it just makes me thirsty thinking about it..