• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review #2

Shadow

That's DON Shadow to you!
Here is the second installment of the Blind Cigar Reviews. Smokin'Tone's review was not available due to family emergency. The reviews:

Beast:

Apperance: This cigar looked rugged, probably due to the darkness of the
wrapper. Had a bit of an oily sheen and possessed character unto itself.
Overall had a descent look to it. rate: 7/10Construction: Nicely rolled cigar
here. Started to burn consistent and even as soon as I put the torch to it. It never looked back. The cap seemed to unravel a bit towards the 1/2 point, but nothing to major. rate 7/10Flavor: This gar had some woodsy flavors. A bit of bark and hints of ash. It smoke fairly flat for the most part and never picked up until near the end. Complexity was not in the book of trick for this cigar. It seemed to smoke pretty average and lacked the ability to keep me interested. rate 5/10Overall: This cigar was a nice looking smoke. Well contructed and wasn't too much of a turn off to not finish. I wouldn't waste a fine glass of scotch or wine to create a mood with this stick, but I'd probably work on my short game in the back yard with it. Overall Rating: 6/10This cigar came across to me as a PUNCH...am I right?

Emo:

Appearance: This is a nice looking cigar...Deep brown in apperance, lightly
veined with no visable stems. Nicely applied cap. 10/10

Construction: This baby was firm...By firm I mean Anna Kournikova firm! No soft spots anywhere. I clipped a small portion of the cap, but it was too tight of a draw. On the second clip I hit my mark. Perfect draw vs. resistance. The first half burned straight and even. This cigar produces a lot of smoke! Between my smoke and the the drinks, kept the pests away all night! The second half didn't fair as well. The burn wasn't even, and it went out once. Granted I was playing chess outside, but I was also herfin steadily. One touch up and then later one relight. Turned hot later on. 7.5/10

Flavor: Pre-light this baby is musty...Like 2 day old musty...The first 1/2 inch
was a bit blech. But after that I was thouroughly content with the flavor. First off, the earthy/musty flavor lasted for the whole cigar with a decent touch of cedar on top. Besides that, the first real flavor was a leathery type of taste. Not new leather, but the nice worn in baseball mitt leather. Towards the half way mark I was enjoying the added Walnut and Almond flavors. A very complex flaovr profile. None of the flavors too overpowering, so I was able to enjoy the little nuances of the flavor. At the 3/4 mark it turned just a little bitter. This was probably because I wasn't paying attention and smoking heavily while I was trying to put my **** talkin buddy in checkmate. Smoked her down to the inch and a half mark. 8-8.5/10

Overall Impression: I really like this smoke. I would put money on this being a CAO Brazilia Gol. I took the cello of when I received it, an put in the special area of my humi. So if it is the Gol, I suggest trying one right out of the cello, and one with some time nekkid. W/ the cello, the earthy/leather flavors are much more intense. W/O the earthy/leather flavors get lost in the cedar/woodsy flavor. Take your pick, I would pick cello on/fresh tasting/young. If it isn't the Gol then disregard this. Eitherway, I would smoke this in a regular rotation. In the times where I am outside but can't pay attention throught the entirety of the cigar. Don't read this as a yard cigar, but maybe a BBQ, camping, hikeing, golf cigar. 8/10

Firestorm:

A Review of a Pretty dark Brown Cigar

At last the day came when I could approach this beauty! I took a nice glass of Delicato White Zinfindel and proceeded to spend some time on Blind Cigar #2.

Initially it was apparent this was a very pretty cigar. It was a Robusto size, 5 inch length, dark Maduro wrapper, with a 52 ring girth cigar. It featured a smooth oily and silky wrapper with several prominent veins visible. It had a scent like a barnyard animal, and when clipped produced a smooth very easy draw. It was rolled tightly, which seemed to not effect the draw for even a moment. It had clearly been well kept, and had no dry characteristics.

Lighting this cigar with a torch lighter produced instant heavy creamy smoke, which was liberally spiced from the first puff. It began with an initially perfect even burn, continued effortless carefree draw, and a pleasant aroma once burning.

The taste was very consistent throughout the cigar. It was spicy with notes of herbs, a pleasant sweetness, and hint of nuts and almonds. The body was a medium/full, and was a nice contrast to the White Zinfindel. It produced a slight but not unpleasant oily aftertaste on the palate.

As the cigar continued to burn (for an HOUR!), it never developed any heat, harshness, or pepper. At the last third of the cigar it developed a slightly uneven burn, which eventually required a touch up with the torch.

This beauty burnt with a tight medium grey ash which finally dropped when it lengthened to around 1/2 inch. The consistency of flavor, overall pleasant taste, and excellent burning characteristics make it one deserving of a place in anyone's humidor. While its' flavor was not overwhelmingly complex, it is one which would provide a comfortable "go to" cigar for when one desires a sure thing.

Appearance/ structure 14/15
Smoking Characteristics 21/25
Flavor 21/25
Overall impression 31/35....................Total Score 87

Thanks Shadow for yet another fine smoke.. This is WAY fun!

Horse:

This was a beautifully rolled dark cigar, not too much unlike a LGC R-5.
Rolled tight but had a nice easy draw. Mine was rolled so smoothly, it was hard to tell how many cap layers there were. My best guess was 2.
The only thing that could have made the cigar 'look' better was the lack of sheen. Presentation...88.

The initial sniff of the unlit cigar....ummm I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I know we used dirty feet on the last one...this was kind of like that, but not as strong. Clipped off just a smidgen and took a pre-light draw..yup, just right. Hmmmm an immediate flavor hit me that I'm sure is prevelant in this makers line...not sure if I like it or not. Different. I'm ok with different, but not this different.... Popped some German Ayinger to help wash it down.

Every now and then, the particular flavor hides, and this beautifully constructed cigar turns into a BIG FAT MARLBORO. I gave it 2", then knocked off the ash to see how it was burning. Nice firm, straight light silver ash covering a large cone.. Blech, here comes the Marlboro again.... what a shame. Taste...60

Overall smokability...straight burn/tight non-flaky ash/some coning.. 83

Avg-77

Thanks again Shadow....I'm really lookin forward to the triple capped #3...Looks like a beaut!!

JLew:

Well constructed, veins throughout, tooth across entire surface.Opened up 80%.Was pleasingly spicy before I lit it. Slightly labored to get lit. Initial taste on lighting was poor but that is the only time throughout the rest. This was a great full bodied while mild, creamy cigar. After halfway through the spicy flavor came out and was great. The cigar initially was harder than usual on the wrapper and cracked halfway through. The crack however did not affect the burn. The texture of the wrapper made me wonder how long this cigar was aged. All and all I loved this cigar and want a box. The flavor is familiar but I wouldnt want to guess. Please include the amount of ageing you put into this cigar.
Jason

PuroBrat:

Cigar # 2 was a great addition to my day. I smoke most all of my cigars at the same place, In the Cage (smoking area at my office) When I smoked this one it was raining and the wind was blowing the rain right in under the roof of "The Cage" but that can't stop a herfer like me. I again used my trusty .45 cal Punch which may have been a little small for the large ring of this cigar, but it worked out fine. Prelight draw was smoothe and even and left loads of flavor on my tongue. I toasted the foot with my cheap-ass torch and the smoke produced got immediate praise from the PB Groupies (guys and gals that follow me out to the cage to see what I am smoking on any given day), but don't you guys worry, I am not letting the fame go to my head. Then the light, this is my favorite part, everybody is standing there watching and suddenly the whole end of the gar burst into flame, I put my torch in my pocket as the flame goes out, then I take the first clean draw. Loads of great smoke curling into the wind and the mist of the
blowing rain. The flavor was strong with leather and Earth. It reminded me of sleaping under the stars with my saddle for a pillow. There was a small hint of pepper but it was so slight, it may have been my imagination.About half way into this smoke the pepper decided it was time to make an entrance. It was strong, but not overbearing. I can almost call the pepper "sweet". There was just a hint of citrus at this point as well. The pepper lasted until about 3/4 down and then gave way to a nutty/earthy flavor that carried all the way to the knub.This was one great smoke, I am not even going to guess what it was, all I will say is I want more of these.

Blind Cigar #2 was:

CAO Brazilia Gol!

Congrats Emo for identifying it correctly. :thumbs:

JLew asked how much age were on these cigars. I purchased these Gols at JR's in Whippany back last April when I went up for the Herf for Fools II. And they have been sitting in one of humidors since then.

Alright, no rest for the wicked. Reviews for Cigar #3 are due this coming Saturday, July 27!

Love it man! Great reviews boys. CAO Gol! I thought it could be but then thought the color was a little too light. Have not had one in awhile, think I will pick some more up.
Thanks again Shadow.

Jason...I really dig these gars young! They are really musty and have that distinctive flavor. When I get more, I'll make sure to keep the wrapped and smoke soon...

Emo

Nice reviews Guys. Way to go Emo. You know your smokes.

I just had my first Piranah (sp) the other day. I didn't know they had been around for so long.

I enjoyed the "deep" taste. Started off a little bright then mellowed some and finished "bright". While no real comparison with an Opus, this cigar did remind me some with it's "brightness".

At the price, I will smoke them when I can get them.

Again, nice reviews. I look forward to the next ones.

JerryG

Jerry, the Pirahna was just introduced about a month ago as a new addition to the Brazilia line. CAO had received many requests for a smaller ring guage cigar in the line.

Ah. Thanks. I know I am behind but thanks for letting me know that I'm not that far behind. :)

I really did enjoy that little fish!

JerryG

Great work guys! :thumbs:

One thing I have learned through these tastings is that they may be damnable nice smokes no matter WHAT they start out smelling like on the prelight.

Makes me game to give anything a try or 3.... GREAT smoke Shadow. Another " needs to" for my humi list! :D

:love:

I'm starting to feel like a pusher here. Send fellow CP members cigars to review so they get hooked on them. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :sign:

Break, break one nine. I heard that I did!

(In my finest trucker parlance...)

JerryG