• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review #3

Shadow

That's DON Shadow to you!
Here is the last installment (at this time) of the Blind Cigar Reviews. Missing from this review is PuroBrat and Smokin'Tone:

Beast:

Beast (BCR #3) [Pre-light]: Nice looking stick, a bit rough, but rolled nicely. The shade seems a bit foreign to me, I won't be guessing this one
correctly...LOL. 6/10[Light]: This baby fired right up!!! After pre-toast and
a few puffs, it stayed burning for the duration. 10/10[Construction]: Good wrap on this cigar. It burned evenly up to the 3/4 mark and then started to canoe a bit. Draw was consistent and pleasant. It created some good smoke. 7/10[Flavor]: Woodsy undertones swirled throughout this cigar, from start to finish. I picked up a few hints of cocao towards the 1/2 way point, but overall flavor seemed to stay even. 6/10[Overall]: 6/10[Gar guess]:????????????Indian Tabac???????????????

Emo:

APPEARANCE: This was not the prettiest looking cigar. The wrapper was real toothy and did not look like a well chosen leaf. There was a crack and chip at the 1/4 mark. It was kinda boxpressed but not really. There were definate sides, but the corners were rolled off. Almost as if they were shoved in a box a little too small, but not small enough to press them. Kind of got the idea that boxpress was an after thought. Pre-light aroma was deep with slight undertones of chocolate. Over all it didn't have the polished look that someone took pride in this cigar. 7.5/10

CONSTRUCTION: Small to medium sized veins throuout the cigar. There were 2 definite longer stems and a smaller one seen through the wrapper. Overall appearnce was rough looking and the cap was applied unevenly. The first 3/4's of the cigar burned unevenly. At times it wanted to canoe down the side, and the rest it was just plain uneven. For almost the entire smoke the cherry was significantly coned. I slowed my pace of smoking and almost got it to go away, but at the price of almost letting the cigar go out. At the last 1/4 mark the burn even up. But this cigar never went out, required only 1 touch up, and produced tons of satisfying smoke. 8/10

TASTE: Wow, this one started of harsh. After the initial harshness, it started fairly light and unremarkable. For the most part it started with a clean tobacco flavor. Towards the 1/4 point it picked up a robust flavor with hints of pepper, nuts and chocolate. It kept this profile until the last 1/3 in which it seemed to explode with a sweet almond flavor. I nubbed it. 7.5/10

OVERALL IMPRESSION: This cigar started of medium bodied but over an hour later I had a buzz. I wasn't overly impressed with the construction and appearance. The flavor was the redeeming quality. A nice robust flavor with a treat at the end. A golf or workshop cigar. I first thought this was a LGC by the wrapper but the flavor reminded me of the Maria Mancini I had. 7.5/10

Firestorm:

To start with: What an awesome cigar.

Of the 3 this is by far the best!!

Initial scent was wonderful! No dirty feet, or barnyard animals this time. It smelled of spice and wonder! A single clip revealed a wondrous prelight draw!

This puppy lit fast and well. After initial light it burnt wondrously, and I never looked back. It originally appeared exceptionally well rolled. It had no soft spots, and sported a beautifully rolled dark maduro type wrapper.

It measured in at 6 inches with a 42-44 ring guage. I expected little, and was charmed by a beautiful light grey tight ash. This had to be deliberately knocked loose. When this happened it produced a FLAT profile..........as in there was NO cone. The wrapper, filler, and binder were all burning in sync!

It began with a leather and walnut taste with a nice tasty sweet undertone. I was not to be disappointed since this flavor stayed consistent throughout the cigar. Some prefer cigar surprises wherein the taste profile changes dramatically throughout the smoke. This cigar was the exact opposite. It was rock steady through out except for the addition of some pepper at the half point to the very end.

There was not an instance of bitter taste to this cigar. It NEVER got harsh or hot. It maintained a smooth voluminous smoke profile with a consistent taste throughtout.

I would adopt these as a daily smoke were they readily available!

Appearance 15/15
smoking characteristics 25/25
Taste 20/25.....due to rather flat consistent taste.....which some would rate higher
Overall impression 30/35.. A very consistent smoke and one which was incredibly pleasant.. smooth, sweet, nutty with no negative characteristics. It lacked complexity, but that in itself puts this cigar into a special category
Total rating 90/100

Of the three presentations this was easily the best tasting and best burning of the lot.

Thanks Shadow for yet another wondrous smoke. I cannot wait to hear what THIS was, for it will be a regular in my humi!

Horse:

I don't know what it was, I think I was supposed to know what it was.....was being the key word here...Bill, feel free to unload all your stash of this puppy...snailer is in the profile.

I LOVE IT!!!

Smoked it with the Sunday morning paper and some Brazilian java. Did I mention about the cigar?

I LOVE IT!!!

JLew:

This guy was tough to rate. The construction was excellent. Opened up 80% and lit with no problem. Great spice taste initially on the light. Woody, creamy, and spicy at first. Very tasty. Very mild at the same time none of the flavors outdid each other. Lots of nicotine in this one (at least I felt it). Midway a little bitterness came out, then went away. The burn was perfect throughout. I guess it was tough to rate because there was nothing that stuck out. I'd smoke one again though.

And the cigar reviewed was:

El Rico Habana Corona Suprema!!!!

Thanks to all the reviewers for their work. :thumbs:

Snob or no snob... that was a dandy :)

Thanks Bill :thumbs:

El Rico!?!?!?!?!? Wow!! I would hav never guessed. I had an El Rico while on vacation and it nearly knocked me on my ass. It was extremely full-bodied. Stacked up to Opus, VSG, and Camacho as far as strength goes. This line must possess a wide range of flavor and body. :)

Great Blind Review Thread Shadow!!! You are a class act. Thanks again for letting me participate. :thumbs: :D :D :thumbs:

Actually those cigars have mellowed a bit. I got that box when they were first offered. Quite strong when I first got them.

El Rico Habana??!! :0

Amazing but wonderful! Doing this has been enriching and educational and I have learned of not one but 3 really enjoyable cigars.

Thanks Shadow for a great idea and some equally great presentations! :thumbs: :thumbs:

All I can say Shadow is two things....

#1, sorry I have not done the review, I will not bore you with excuses, but I will tell you I am swamped with To-Dos.

#2, I smoked that thing and it was great, I thought it was a VSG based on the taste. Now that I know what it is, I suppose a review is no longer blind and I am sorry for that, but blind or not, that cigar was one I would gladly burn again and again. For a fairly small ring stick, it was never small on flavor. I would love one of those with desert of Chocolate Cheesecake and Irish Coffee, following a great Lasagna dinner.