• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

Good review Sean. If you liked this profile, I would suggest Camacho's 10th Anniversary selections. It has a creaminess I haven't found in other Camachos but still has some strength to it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I enjoyed it, but as a treat, not an every day smoke. That would be too much. :)

Hey, guys - there's a package with a blind cigar attached in the pass thread ...

Ok, here goes.... I got this smoke from Marco-Polo. He said it's one of his favorites.

Appearance
Wrapper on this corona-sized cigar was nice, medium brown, reminded me of milky milk chocolate. The pictures show a sheen to it that I didn’t necessarily see live and in person, but it is a very pleasant looking cigar.

Myster%20Stick.jpg

Unfortunately, there was a tear in the wrapper, but I was determined not to let that stand in the way of checking this out this mystery stick in full detail. Turns out it might have had an effect on the smoking experience, but nothing that made me put down before it was time.

DSC_2904.JPG

As for physical details, this was a corona, as far as I could judge; probably something like a 42 ring guage and about 5 inches long, maybe shorter. There was the tell-tale sign of a triple cap which, naturally, made me wonder if this was a Cuban.

DSC_2907.JPG

I only have limited experience with ISOMs, but there were a few things that led me to believe that this was perhaps not from that island south of Miami.

Overall this seemed to be a finely constructed smoke. Aside from the tear, the wrapper had a nice color and the foot showed lots of good stuff wrapped up beneath.

DSC_2910.JPG

Flavor and smoking experience

I am on a full-flavored kick, so I thought I was in for a more mild experience than I would have liked when I first lit up. First tastes were cream and just pure tobacco, albeit on the medium to mild side of things, with just a hint of pepper or spice. Flavors started to develop pretty quickly though, with a tangy sensation starting in the first third and by the second third, I was getting wood and cedar, cinnamon and all sorts of good stuff.

DSC_2914.JPG

Flavors developed throughout and I ended up experiencing wood, cedar, cream, nuts, quick bursts of coffee toward the end, and a tongue-numbing finish that lasted throughout the last half. Overall, these are all flavors that I love, so my taste buds were definitely intrigued. Even though I thought I was in for a mild smoke in the beginning, the developing flavors won over and, two hours later, I’m still tasting this smoke and I now realize that I want more.

The draw and burn were not what I usually like in smoke, but something tells me that isn’t typical for this cigar. There was the tear in the wrapper and I had to touch up the light about four different times. Something about this smoke didn’t like having more than about 1/4-inch of ash on it. Whenever the ash would stack up too high, the burn would dwindle and hide. That was fine, I just did like a heretic and flicked the ash every now and then.

Still, I had to stay on top of the burn and I got worried about puffing too hard on it and making it bitter. But this smoke really kept up, even with all the touching up. It even went out when I put it down to get a drink half way through (NB: goes pretty good with Buffalo Trace), and tasted just fine on the relight.

Conclusions
Overall, this was a complex and compelling little smoke. Going from a relatively simple, woody, light smoke to a full-flavored but medium bodied smorsgabord. It had me fooled in the beginning, I had no idea what kind of ride I was in for. But by the time I had committed to it, the smoke really took me through some satisfying flavors. I’m sure one without a tear and maybe a little better humidification than my slighly unkempt Vinotech setup would be a fantastic smoke.

One of my favorite parts of smoking this cigar was the aroma. While I thought the prelight smell wasn’t too distinctive, the live smoke was just warm, toasty, and pleasant. I found myself holding it under my nose to get a good long whiff. Nice.

My prediction
Well, I’ve rambled on enough. Throughout this experience, I kept wondering whether this was a Cuban. The triple cap, the thin vitola, and a lot of the flavors—especially the tongue-numbing bit in the last third—drew me to this conclusion. But there was something Nicaraguan-ish and Pepin-ish about it, to the extent that my limited experience led me to believe.

So… my prediction is that this mystery smoke is a Cabaiguan.

How did I do?
Marco-Polo is going to have to chime in here and let me know how far off I am. I misplaced the envelope with the band it, so I’m sitting here on pins and needles. Thanks for sharing what you told me is one of your favorite smokes. It was a pleasure and a great way to unwind in the midst of a pretty stressful, busy week.

Very well done! I couldn't have done better myself.

It was a handmade Partagas Mille Fleurs, a mareva from Cuba. The box code is, if I recall correctly, from 2005, so there's a little age on them, which tames an otherwise fearsome last third. They're often compared to a Montecristo no. 4, developing from a mild intro to a strong, flavorful finale. Glad you liked it!

Excellent review there g! I'd say that was a pretty good guess as I've smoked a number Cabaiguan jr.s that had a similar profile to some of the habano smokes.

Interesting -- so it was an ISOM after all. I thought I was being overzealous when I started tasting that tangy sensation. Turned out to be a pretty refined little smoke. Thanks for giving me a chance to try it Marco-Polo.

I will definitely keep these on my list of smokes I like and to watch out for.

This was pretty fun. Hope to do this again.

Nice review. Having had and like the Party PC, how is this different?

Excellent review, G-smoke. That sounds like a very nice smoke!

An ISOM with draw problems? That never happens. You are obviously a liar and a charlatan. :D

Nice review G. I think the cigar you smoked fit the profile Pete Johnson was going for when he and Pepin came up with Cabaiguan.

Good job G-smoke. You never know what to expect in a blind reveiw.

Brian

Just smoked mine, outside at the Media, PA Starbucks. Nice, smooth, and rich smoke. Now to download the pics, post the full review and make a fool of myself...

This is right out of my notes, not nearly so nicely written as g-smoke's, but a window into my confused thought processes...

Prelight:
Dimensions: about 5.5 in and a 48 ring gauge
Wrapper: Slightly mottled dark natural wrapper, small veins. Slightly oily. Sun-grown or habano, definitely. Single cap.
Barrel box pressed, slightly lumpy on unpressed side, firm.
Strong cocoa on prelight draw. I am so screwed.

Construction:
Burn slightly off but self-corrects over the course of rotation. Ash is largely light grey, with dark grey and white interspersed. Ashes around 1 inch, then 2.5 inch, then at the end. Ashes pretty solid in fact.
Draw slightly restricted, but much less than most other box presses. Clearly a quality cigar.

Flavor and Aroma.
1st third: first draw was slightly dry and ashy, but fills out by the third, which is nice and rich. Overt smell of coffee or cocoa, caramel sweetness when inhaled through the nose. No conspicuous barnyard smell, so Havana ruled out. Very slight odor of ammonia in the nose, rather pleasant in fact. Aroma is full, flavorfull but not intense. Very smooth. The smoke has that winey, slightly tannic character that I got out of a Padron 2000, but the flavor is so much smoother than that. I'm floored.
2nd third: I stand corrected. The earthy odor is coming out. Slight spiciness, like nutmeg or white pepper, but not strong. Rich tasting, smooth, creamy. Something about this says “nicaraguan”. But most Nicaraguans these days are powerhouses. Really good havana, perhaps? It's not a Monte, not a Partagas, not an Upmann, not an ErdM (although I can see a resemblance with the milky-honey-sweet overtones). An box-pressed EL or RE, maybe?
3rd third: Nutty and rich. Subtle spiciness is gone, but overall nutmeg impression is still present. Roasted cocoa/coffee flavors dominate, some vanilla, some wood. Rich but not excessive. Having a devil of a time figuring it out. Subtle, obviously quality, obviously expensive and way out of my price range until I get a real job (which I now can, since I got my work permit last Friday).

Conclusion and guess:
I'm screwed. All my guesses (Joya de Nicaragua Celebracion, Padron, cuban ErdM) aren't boxpresses. CAO Cameroon or Oliva Serie G is as close as I can get for a flavorful mild-medium bodied cigar with a dark natural wrapper, box press, and nicaraguan flavor core, but I don't think it's either of those. It doesn't "look" like a CAO, for one.

Photos
Cigar:
gallery_7338_797_21876.jpg

Smooth cap:
gallery_7338_797_19388.jpg

Prior to first ash:
gallery_7338_797_7769.jpg

Prior to second ash:
gallery_7338_797_40803.jpg

Mottled wrapper detail:
gallery_7338_797_17929.jpg

What is it?

A Padron 1964 Anniversario. Thanks again, Sean, a stunning cigar and a great opportunity.

This is right out of my notes, not nearly so nicely written as g-smoke's, but a window into my confused thought processes...

Prelight:
Dimensions: about 5.5 in and a 48 ring gauge
Wrapper: Slightly mottled dark natural wrapper, small veins. Slightly oily. Sun-grown or habano, definitely. Single cap.
Barrel box pressed, slightly lumpy on unpressed side, firm.
Strong cocoa on prelight draw. I am so screwed.

Flavor and Aroma.
1st third: first draw was slightly dry and ashy, but fills out by the third, which is nice and rich. Overt smell of coffee or cocoa, caramel sweetness when inhaled through the nose. No conspicuous barnyard smell, so Havana ruled out. Very slight odor of ammonia in the nose, rather pleasant in fact. Aroma is full, flavorfull but not intense. Very smooth. The smoke has that winey, slightly tannic character that I got out of a Padron 2000, but the flavor is so much smoother than that. I'm floored.

What is it?

A Padron 1964 Anniversario. Thanks again, Sean, a stunning cigar and a great opportunity.

You talked yourself out of the answer, my friend. I'm glad you enjoyed it. The Blind PIF is a great forum for truly enjoying the pleasure of giving.

You talked yourself out of the answer, my friend. I'm glad you enjoyed it. The Blind PIF is a great forum for truly enjoying the pleasure of giving.

Well, I would have if I'd known anything about the 1964 anniversario - I didn't know that it was box-pressed or that it was mild-medium; most top-line smokes seem to be medium-full if not outright full. I'd never tried it, but I think I'm going to again. Definitely.

Sounds like a great smoke. Nice review.

I think I'm going to have to get around to trying a 64. Flavor profile sounds right up my alley.

I liked Marco's format so much, I stol....er.....confis....um....borrowed it.

Prelight:
Dimensions: Robusto. I don't have a ruler or ring gauge handy, but it is the exact same size as three different robust cigars from three different makers, so I will go with that
Wrapper: Natural. Dry with small veins. Triple cap.
Round pressed, very uniform with no visible defects
Has an aroma about it that positively screams "I HAVE BEEN IN A HUMIDOR FOR QUITE SOME TIME!!!"

Drink: McIvor Scotch, on the rocks.

As I smoke this, I am watching quite the natural fireworks show, with multiple strikes dancing all around my house.

Construction:
Almost perfect Burn. Ash is almost snow white, with dark grey speckles interspersed. First ashes around 1.75 inch. Ashes pretty solid throughout the smoke only ashed twice before extinguishing.

As I smoked, a small tear in the wrapper became problematic, but not to the point of dimishing taste, just needed a slight touch up once past the tear.

Draw wide open, almost too free. But this may be b/c I don't normally smoke robustos. Clearly a quality cigar.

Flavor and Aroma.
1st third: first draw was very mild, almost no flavor. This is made up for by an unbelievable aroma. Seriously, it smells like a burning humidor. That is the only way I know to describe it. Cedary, tobacco-y, yummy. By the end of the third, aroma is full, flavorfull and intense. Very smooth. The smoke has a very thick, pungent quality that I have never experienced before, I quite like it.

2nd third: WOOOEEEEEE! This thing woke the hell up!!!!! Now it is giving me distinct nutty-ness, and a fine earth tone. Every puff, especially if drawn right after a taste of scotch is an exercise in finessed strength. Think getting hit with a brick inside a silk pillow.

3rd third: The cigar is getting harsher now. Still able to roll the last bit through my nose, but not as fully as before. When I do, I am greeted by cocoa, nuts, and tobacco. I must say, this is one of the best cigars I have had. The rain is picking up and bringing that "wet grass" smell in to mix with aroma of the cigar, they complement each other well. I will be nubbing this cigar.

Conclusion and guess:

I am going to go out on a limb and say that this is an ISOM. The triple cap, excellent construction, and unbelievable flavor are pretty much a giveaway. I say this only having ever smoked 2 ISOM's in my life. One was earlier this week, a Juan Lopez, the other was in 1997, and I honestly cant remember what it was.
Given that hypothesis, and the clue in the enclosed note. I am going to guess this to be a Montecristo Petit Edmundo.

And even if not correct, I am going to guess me to beg for more of the same.....

Photos
Sorry, digi cam is still down, and stormy night photography with a cell phone is just pointless to attempt.