• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bolivar 5th Avenida

Mike33

I probably shouldn't have smoked one of these so young or so soon after receiving them, but it didn't turn out too bad. Very nice looking cigar; no major veins and the wrapper was a medium Colorado with a nice sheen to it. It was still wet, so I thought that might cause some problems with the burn or combustion, and it did. The burn was eradicate and tunneling happened throughout. However, the draw was a little looser than expected.

The cigar is stronger than any other large format Bolivar RE and I would classify it as medium-full bodied. Lots of spice in the first half along with lots of leather. Interestingly, I noticed strong floral flavors throughout, much more akin to LGC than Bolivar, but with Bolivar strength. The finish had a nice sweetness quality to it and was rather long. It is still a very "green" cigar as to be expected and some of the flavors were probably too muted to be fully appreciated. Overall though, it is the most impressive Bolivar RE that I have tried initially, other than the DC for the Middle East. Scoring, I would give it an 89 probably due to its youth and the construction problems. Given some more resting time, I'd say the cigar as the potential to be very good to excellent in the short term.

P7180431.jpg

P7180432.jpg

P7180434.jpg

P7180436.jpg

Overall though, it is the most impressive Bolivar RE that I have tried initially, other than the DC for the Middle East.

So how would you compare/contrast it with/to the DC? Better, stronger, more complex, just different?

I enjoyed reading that review, thank you sir! :) I've yet to try a Bolivar CC, though with Greg's constant talk of how good they are it seems I need to rectify that. How long are you going to let these rest before giving them another shot? I look forward to the review of the next one!

Thanks for sharing, it sounds like a must try cigar in the future. With so many regional editions it 's hard to keep up with them, let alone regular production cigars.

I feel the same way as Tony above. Regional releases are impossible to me. Great review and thanks for it, these cigars look amazing.

...and Greg, you can close your mouth. :laugh:

Overall though, it is the most impressive Bolivar RE that I have tried initially, other than the DC for the Middle East.

So how would you compare/contrast it with/to the DC? Better, stronger, more complex, just different?

The DC was more complex and the flavors more pronounced, but that could've been a function of it having more time to mature. The 109 was the strongest Boli RE I've had, besides the Simone.

I feel the same way as Tony above. Regional releases are impossible to me. Great review and thanks for it, these cigars look amazing.

:0

:laugh:

Thanks for the review Mike! Looking forward to hopefully trying one of these sometime. A strong, delicious Bolivar sounds right up my alley!

Thanks for sharing, it sounds like a must try cigar in the future. With so many regional editions it 's hard to keep up with them, let alone regular production cigars.

I whole heartedly agree with both of you....I'm lost at times as to where to spend my money, in a regular production cigar or a semi-price inflated RE.

Thanks Mike for an honest, in depth review. This one I have to seriously consider now.