• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bolivar Royal Corona (Cuba)

EzTheFix

Reaction score
Bolivar Royal Corona (Cuba)
Posted by E.Z. under Cigar Reviews (Photos)

I decided to make good on a recent request and review a great favorite. The Bolivar Royal Corona is a robusto that has graced my humidor from the early days, and is without a doubt one of my top ten. It sure is another classic Cuban cigar made from Pinar del Rio tobacco at the Partagas factory–in fact, I tend to think of it as a Partagas D No. 4's darker cousin.

The corojo colorado wrapper on this cigar is on the rustic side, with a few minor flaws. It has a nice cap and a firm uniform feel. The nose is not too powerful but hints at a dark and musky smoke. A pre-light draw rewards with grassy and earthy nuances. The dried chili pepper taste on the wrapper is subtle but very pleasing. Once again, though, it is upon lighting up that the cigar will come to life.

Lighting up will let off a very sweet smelling fragrant buttery smoke: dark and musky, but with some hazelnut and perhaps some thyme. Now, this is a cigar that boasts a beautiful progression in the palate from subtle creamy notes at the start to rich and generous notes in the last third. It's interesting because it does pack a bit of a punch. It's not a slouch but manages to retain finesse throughout.

The pepper is surprisingly light and subtle at first, with the smoke turning out quite smooth and creamy. The stick only begins to hint at bitter cacao and dark leather at this point. There are some grilled notes as well, like of roasted almonds. The cigar will gain in strength and richness in the second third. It still retains its elegance, all the way though. The pepper really picks up here and the bitter cacao intensifies as the rich leather also increases. Cedar and espresso are thrown into the fray in the last third along with the pepper and cacao, to give this cigar a flavorful crescendo before the creamy, smooth and elegant finish.

Both the burn and ash were correct. There was no tunneling at all. You can expect long and solid gray ash. I do have a tendency to draw heavily and repeatedly on this one, because it is so rewarding. This time, I got carried away and the ash fell off right into my lap!

The Bolivar Royal Corona is a wonderful example of a rich and flavorful habano with a complex progression throughout the smoke. If there is a cigar that manages to deliver powerfully rich and dark flavors while still remaining smooth and creamy, this cigar is definitely it; a smoke that I have a hard time going without.

Wow! good review, almost poetic in description.
Got to get one (some) of these.

Brian