• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bowmore Darkest

PaulMac

Had mentioned to AVB that I thought I might start doin some of my own reviews soon, and he gave his blessing, so here I go...
Maybe I'll call it Mac's Malts :p

First up is Bowmore Darkest, which has no age statement, but is all whiskey in its mid teens, aged in sherry casks, and bottled at 43vol.

Bowmore is an Islay malt, in fact the village of Bowmore is considered the "capital" of Islay, and they have a stunning array of malts to choose from. I have only had a couple so far, but the Darkest bottling is my favorite so far.

The color of this whiskey is a deep tawny brown, looks almost as dark as a cigar wrapper in the bottle. The nose has the expected smokiness of an Islay malt, but also a floral note, heather perhaps? There is also a touch of sea air, like what one gets from Oban, which I suspect is due to, as the label states, all the whiskey in this malt comes from Vault 1, which is below sea level. The palate to me is very nutty, with a touch of maltiness and molasses, a full bodied scotch...The finish is surprisingly smooth, and leaves ya wanting more.

While not something you will likely find in your average liquor store, it can usually be special ordered, and I highly recommend this scotch, it is currently in my top 5, which is why I chose it for my first review.

And as a first review, this is prolly not the best I could do, but I hope to grow into the role as it were.

Thanks all
and till the next time, I remain...

PaulMac

Nice review Paul, I'll get to the Bowmore Darkest eventually myself :D. It will be interesting to see how we differ or not on the same dram. With two of us we should have a few more whiskies to cover above what just one of us would do.

Just as an FYI that whole series of Dawn, Dusk and Darkest are 12 yo whiskies.

$36 when on sale here in PA. $37 from here.