• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Building a Four Season Porch

Mark Twain

Call me Ishmael.
Anyone else convert a patio to a four-season porch? I'm considering it as an option for a 8' x 20'  space that already has a 4" slab foundation and the roof of the house extends over it. Cost isn't major, but I am worried about pulling permits and inspection. 

I've never done the work myself... But I think you should definitely do it!

We had one on the south side of our old house. It was awesome in the warmer months. It was basically all windows, but they were fully replaceable with full size screens. Ceiling fan was nice on a calm day. When it was cold outside, it was like an attached greenhouse when the sun was shining. Since we just moved into a new place... I need to find someplace new to start all my plants for the garden.

If the roof of the house extends over the entire patio, then a permit may not required to enclose it. Here in Hawaii, I believe permits are also not required if the space is not considered fully enclosed such as a screened patio. All this does depend on local codes, however finding them for your local area shouldn't be too hard. A decent contractor should have no problem with it if you don't plan on doing the build yourself.

I wouldn't think you'd need a permit or inspection for that, unless you're adding electrical.  Shop hard for your winter season glass; windows are usually the single most expensive item in a build and you can save HUGE getting them from salvage/overstock yard.  Get the windows FIRST, then frame to suit.  Making screens to size is easy and cheap.

One trick is to make the wall below the windows bottom-hinged hatches that you can pop open for ventilation---that lets you use simple storm panes for your windows. They're a LOT cheaper.

~Boar

I am not familiar with the building codes there but a four season porch is really no big deal to build. Foundation/footings, walls, roof,-- windows, electrical, maybe a wet bar?