• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

building a humidor

[OT] ykm loki

Hi all.

I have been considering building a travel, and maybe a larger home humi, out of an old ammo box. I figure it's air/water tight, rugged, and would just look cool on top of it. How should I go about finding and attaching the cedar to walls, cleaning out the box, etc? I tried searching but couldn't find anything

Here is an idea. Consider cutting the cedar sides to fit so that either the narrow or the long sided pieces fit inside of the other tight thus holding themselves up against the walls instead of glueing them in. Butt joint I think is the proper term. That way your glue free.

Might be a bit tricky with the swelling once they are humidified but its worth a shot with cans being so cheap.

Cut them to size, throw them in loose and humidify, then once ready sand till tight fitting.

What size are you thinking about useing?

Im assuming 50 cal or more.

Here is an idea. Consider cutting the cedar sides to fit so that either the narrow or the long sided pieces fit inside of the other tight thus holding themselves up against the walls instead of glueing them in. Butt joint I think is the proper term. That way your glue free.

Might be a bit tricky with the swelling once they are humidified but its worth a shot with cans being so cheap.

Cut them to size, throw them in loose and humidify, then once ready sand till tight fitting.

What size are you thinking about useing?

Im assuming 50 cal or more.
Thanks! I guess my searching skills need work. For the travel humi I was considering something smaller than .50. While that would be the smallest size I'd use if I did a home humi. I have an old artillery shell I use as an ashtray so this would fit right in.

The next size down from the 50 would be the 30 and thats basically the same length only narrower. I would imagine it would be a little tough retrieving them as its not much wider than your hand.

For travel Id just go with a rubbermaid container or splurge on an otter box.

I got an otterbox a few months ago and its the shizzle.

The next size down from the 50 would be the 30 and thats basically the same length only narrower. I would imagine it would be a little tough retrieving them as its not much wider than your hand.

For travel Id just go with a rubbermaid container or splurge on an otter box.

I got an otterbox a few months ago and its the shizzle.
my gf's father has a box that would make a perfect travel size. I'll have to ask him what size it is when I see him or talk to him next. I plan to do the .50 cal for a home humi. I just have to figure out where to get the cedar

Hey I have plenty of those cans around here. Now I just need to find the cedar.

[OT] ykm loki, for $21 bucks you can get a 15 count otterbox.
Otterbox is (IMHO) the BEST travel humidor there is...

[OT] ykm loki, for $21 bucks you can get a 15 count otterbox.
Otterbox is (IMHO) the BEST travel humidor there is...
I'll have to look into it more but I would need a real travel humi for when I fly. So maybe I'll ditch the travel idea and stick to the home humi/ammo box idea

I'll have to look into it more but I would need a real travel humi for when I fly. So maybe I'll ditch the travel idea and stick to the home humi/ammo box idea

Well, when you decide to get that Otter, Mark can hook you up at Cigarmony, and I believe he's got some package deals goin on right now for fathers day, great timing!

Making a travel humidor out of an ammo box probably is not the best idea if you actually want to travel with it. TSA would crap up something nasty over it - I'm sure they'd let you go once they realize it's just a box, but, why waste the time?

Making a travel humidor out of an ammo box probably is not the best idea if you actually want to travel with it. TSA would crap up something nasty over it - I'm sure they'd let you go once they realize it's just a box, but, why waste the time?
Most of my travel is done via car or train. I don't fly that often and when I did I'd have a real travel humi. But the more and more I think about I may just get a larger box and use it as a desktop humi and get a real travel humi.

here you go:
http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...5&hl=ammo\
There's tons more.
I did a search for "ammo", "glue", "cedar", "cedar sheets", etc, and I have found all the information you've asked for. You can clean the box out using simple green as suggested in one of the threads I found while searhing. :thumb:

Good job helping a brother out! :thumbs:
I really am thankful for all the help I've gotten here and on another board. I was talking with the owner of the local cigar shop and told him about my plan. We have an event called "arts fest" here so I may wait for that and see if anyone has any spanish cedar at that. On an unrelated note, I had a a Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real today. Great smoke

Hey I have plenty of those cans around here. Now I just need to find the cedar.

Funnysmiley.jpg

That's hilarious Dean.

Also, in case you're still interested, I did a quick online search for you and found some spanish cedar here:

http://www.shop.com/op/~Spanish_Cedar-prod-27270774?buy=9

It ranges from $0.79 - $1.19 (depending on thickness) for 1/10th of a square foot (14.4 square inches). Make sure you check shipping prices though, they may list the product to be cheap, but the store comes out on top by jacking up the shipping price.

Good luck.
Richard

edit: btw, it's somewhat harder to order online because you can't really tell the quality of the wood. Even if you pay more at a B&M, it may be worth it in the long run, you don't want your newly built humidor to warp on you or what not after you've just finished building and seasoning it.

Also, in case you're still interested, I did a quick online search for you and found some spanish cedar here:

http://www.shop.com/op/~Spanish_Cedar-prod-27270774?buy=9

It ranges from $0.79 - $1.19 (depending on thickness) for 1/10th of a square foot (14.4 square inches). Make sure you check shipping prices though, they may list the product to be cheap, but the store comes out on top by jacking up the shipping price.

Good luck.
Richard

edit: btw, it's somewhat harder to order online because you can't really tell the quality of the wood. Even if you pay more at a B&M, it may be worth it in the long run, you don't want your newly built humidor to warp on you or what not after you've just finished building and seasoning it.

Thanks for the link Richard. I'm going to wait till arts fest here and see what I can find and if I can't find anything local I'll buy online

. . .long sided pieces fit inside of the other tight thus holding themselves up against the walls instead of glueing them in. Butt joint I think is the proper term.

Actually it's a miter joint and not a butt joint. Cut your bottom panel to fit tightly - and then cut your side panels (you will need a table saw).

Another option for help in mounting would be to stop by an auto parts store and look for some trim mounting tape - it would be pretty thin and moisture proof.

To find spanish cedar - look locally in your yellow pages for a hardwoods distributor. It should be cheaper than online actually and they may have drops that you can pick up. A lot of them will also do custom cutting, planning, etc etc.

AND WEAR A MASK WHEN WORKING WITH SPANISH CEDAR!

Ron