• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Building an FAQ for the newbs

theroberthogan

What is this fresh hell?
I know I am still a newb, but I really appreciate the unique community here at CP and wanted to give something back. So, I am going to build an FAQ that can be pinned so that all of those newbs who are too lazy to use the search function can find the answers to their questions without creating new topics. I'm going to actually use the search function to find the responses to these questions that have been posted by other members and summarize them for the FAQ.

I've started to build a list of questions I've seen posted a few times, but I'm looking for some help with questions I might be missing. So, please reply or PM me with the questions that you are tired of seeing asked over and over again. Thanks

Although a good idea, I think it's better to encourage use of the search tool here. Especially for the newer guys. IMO.

While your intentions are good there is a plethora of info already pinned. My short time here has taught me to use the search, it is extremely user friendly unlike some other sites.
That being said...

NEWBS USE THE DAMN SEARCH BEFORE POSTING
I say that out of caring, those not smart enough to get the hint will feel the wrath from the FOG's

Although a good idea, I think it's better to encourage use of the search tool here. Especially for the newer guys. IMO.

Seriously? You'd rather tell someone to "go use the search function" than tell them that one of our members has put together a useful tool to use at their disposal? Why don't you go tell AVB to delete his list of acronyms. Or go tell MMM to edit out all the information from his Anejo/Opus & Tatuaje posts. I think if he wants to put something together to aid in the "breaking-in" process than more power to him.

Go for it man!!! Sounds like a great idea to me... If I had the time I'd help you out....

edit: fix punctuation

Seriously? You'd rather tell someone to "go use the search function" than tell them that one of our members has put together a useful tool to use at their disposal? Why don't you go tell AVB to delete his list of acronyms. Or go tell MMM to edit out all the information from his Anejo/Opus & Tatuaje posts. I think if he wants to put something together to aid in the "breaking-in" process than more power to him.

Go for it man!!! Sounds like a great idea to me... If I had the time I'd help you out....

edit: fix punctuation
Reason being is that an FAQ for general questions is rather broad and would take a great deal of time, especially since that chances that it has already been discussed is likely. The posts you refer too are not something that is typically discussed but rather a point of reference for information. Big difference, at least the way I see it.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate his idea and efforts to put such a thing together. I was just stating that it would take a great deal of time and I think we should encourage new guys to use the search tool instead of hand feeding them the wealth of info on CP. Again, all IMO.

The community works the way it is. It's not difficult to wade through the threads. It gives a new guy the chance to see the personalities, the differing opinions, and a general idea of how this place works. The idea of spoon feeding new guys makes no sense to me. Instead of telling someone to use the "search" function we'll be telling them to read the "FAQ thread", what's the difference? Also, the answers on the FAQ page will be colored by the person creating it because there just aren't that many questions that have a single unequivocal answer. Suggesting it be pinned before the fact may be little presumptuous.

So. Build your page and if its wonderful it may get the nod. If it's not we'll have to give you a beating.

NA

There are no personalities or differing opinions here. We all agree with Neal :cool:

Sure why not!

It will be one more page or piece of reference material that someone will not use. It's not that it isn't appreciated, but the majority of people that join this board are to lazy or illiterate to use the search tools or find what they are looking for. We go over the same stuff over and over and the new people that join feel compelled to answer with half cocked information.

YMMV

We'll just tell the newer people to do a search for the FAQ page.

What if the FAQ page was a page of links to pre-made searches?

Easy to put together, and a variety of perspectives on each topic.

Just a thought.
IMHO, any idea that adds, combines, and enhances the knowledge on this site is a pretty good idea.

Tim

Sure why not!

It will be one more page or piece of reference material that someone will not use. It's not that it isn't appreciated, but the majority of people that join this board are to lazy or illiterate to use the search tools or find what they are looking for. We go over the same stuff over and over and the new people that join feel compelled to answer with half cocked information.

YMMV

Anthony, when did you get to be such a cynic?! :p

I disagree that the majority of people are too lazy or illiterate. Dobn't get me wrong... some are definitely lazy and others may not have the best reading skills, but they are the minority. Most new members want follow the rules and do what is right. Just my $0.02.

Sure why not!

YMMV

I disagree that the majority of people are too lazy or illiterate. Dobn't get me wrong... some are definitely lazy and others may not have the best reading skills, but they are the minority. Most new members want follow the rules and do what is right. Just my $0.02.

Steve, I threw that out there to get people to think! Unfortunately if you write in a clear and concise manner they don't get it :whistling:

Sure why not!

YMMV

Steve, I threw that out there to get people to think! Unfortunately if you write in a clear and concise manner they don't get it :whistling:
Antny, if you want someone to think, confuse them. It's the depth of a sentence not the length.

NA

Sure why not!

YMMV

Anthony, it seems you've lost touch with the 'newbie in you'.

Remember when you had all those 'questions'...and you 'asked around'.

What are the guys to do today?

I know, I know...when you were asking those 'questions' there were only about 2-3 folks smoking anything...and cigars were the 'NEW' rage and all...but still!

:whistling:

Sure why not!

YMMV

Antny, if you want someone to think, confuse them. It's the depth of a sentence not the length.

NA

So true!

What if the FAQ page was a page of links to pre-made searches?

Easy to put together, and a variety of perspectives on each topic.

Just a thought.
IMHO, any idea that adds, combines, and enhances the knowledge on this site is a pretty good idea.

Tim

This is exactly what I would like to see. If he wants to take the time to put something together then so be it. This way everyone's differing opinions would be brought to light....

Sure why not!

YMMV

Anthony, it seems you've lost touch with the 'newbie in you'.

Remember when you had all those 'questions'...and you 'asked around'.

What are the guys to do today?

I know, I know...when you were asking those 'questions' there were only about 2-3 folks smoking anything...and cigars were the 'NEW' rage and all...but still!

:whistling:

I was too busy welcoming all the members and post padding.

No matter what you do. No matter how you explain it. There will always be that 10%.

Doc.