• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Built-in propane grills

Gonz

Ultra Runner
Our regular freestanding grill is getting old and worn out, and the place I have it right now is too close to the side of the house and the heat from the back of the grill is damaging the siding. So I thought I'd move it to the opposite corner of the deck, which led me to consider building a small cooking area and getting a built-in/drop-in grill instead. Why are these things so damn expensive? A quick look online shows me that these things start around $1000 and quickly go up in price.

Here's my question: What is so special about a drop-in grill vs. a regular freestanding grill that I couldn't just buy a nice freestanding grill, take the legs and base off and mount it just like a drop-in?

Just a guess, but probably:

1. Durability---built heavier because it's a permanent installation
2. Natural gas option---I'd imagine there's a higher, spendier building code involved for anything hooked up to a gas line instead of a propane tank.
3. Market---they KNOW most customers are already spending a ton on the surround, deck, pergola/awning/roof, etc.

~Boar

I stopped by the local Sears appliance store and asked the guy there and his best answer was that they just don't sell alot of the built-ins so the price is higher. Not really a great answer by any means, but upon closer inspection of the grills in the store he and I couldn't see why my idea of taking the base off and mounting the grill unit on it's own won't work.

The only thing I could think that might be different about drop in units would be heat conduction to the surrounding area i.e. countertop or surround. I'm guessing it's a bad idea to put in a laminate countertop next to a grill! I'm thinking along the lines of granite or granite tile for the countertop, and the surround itself would be framed with metal studs, sheathed with cement backer board then a manufactured stone mortared to the cement board. It also appears that I could use the base part of the grill separate for doors and storage beneath the grill.

I also saw a freestanding grill today had a nice front access storage with a swing door and two pull out drawers. The entire thing sat on casters, I figure I could just take off the casters and mount the unit right inside a framed opening. That was a nice grill that was priced around $600 which sure beats the hell out of $2000 for a built-in!

edited to swap out "pressure treated lumber" to metal studs, since I've since read that lumber with that kind of heat nearby will char and eventually might burst into flames.

Home Depot has a few drop ins available as I'm sure Lowes does too. When I was looking I notices that there was a support structure and a enclosed bottom on the built ins. I went with a wheeled one since I didn't want the local creatures trying to get in and eat the grease. The wheeled one I can clean easier. YMMV.