• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Buying a new TV? Surround Speakers? Remote?

selfevident

Hello there,

As you can probably see I am pretty new to Cigar Pass. I registered on Valentines Day. Really? What the hell is wrong with me?

Anyways, I thought I would extend my assistance. I am a design engineer for an Audio Video company here in Chicago. I've designed everything from huge live sound systems for churches, High Def Video-Conferencing in board rooms, and game-test areas (flat panel display, 7.1 surround, the works) for EA games studios. Ive also done a ton of programming of control systems (touchpanels and such).

If anyone has any questions (i.e. how do I do distributed audio in my house?, 1080p?, 1080i?, what tv should I get to play video games on and stream computer videos to?, blah blah blah) please feel free to send me a pm. I'm not selling anything. I've just spent 40+ hours a week for the last 10 years dorking out on this stuff and thought I would spread the wealth around.

So honestly if you have any questions about anything at all please feel free to ask me. And thanks for making this such a kick ass place to hang out on.

Here is a question I have - I am looking for a small HDTV for the back porch - no bigger than 26" - My question is are there any smaller sets in this size that utilize the cable card technology? I would rather not have a STB outside. If there is nothing, then what small set would you recommend? Thanks.

Glad you can offer. I find myself asking here on all types of questions. that is what this community is all about.
I read a nice article in Saturdays paper in the tech section regarding piecemealing a surround system together on the cheap. Basically it said skip the surround in a box and start with a nice $300 unit and buying as you can afford.

Here is a question I have - I am looking for a small HDTV for the back porch - no bigger than 26" - My question is are there any smaller sets in this size that utilize the cable card technology? I would rather not have a STB outside. If there is nothing, then what small set would you recommend? Thanks.

Alright,

First off I would for sure shy away from the "cable card" stuff. There are too many problems with menus and on demand services, and the set up can be a serious pain. The other issue is that as the technology changes, you want to be able to adapt with your STB. If you use the DVR on your STB or like the on demand service I would stick with the STB.

Is it a cable provider you have or do you have a dish?

With that being said the TV that I think looks pretty darn impressive is a Samsung LN26A450 26 inch 720p LCD TV. Yes it is ONLY 720p, but I absolutely defy anybody to be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p on such a small screen. Its just impossible. This LCD is light, easy to set up, has 3 HDMI inputs, a few component inputs and the speakers sound pretty darn good for a smaller TV. Do a search on Amazon for it and read some reviews. Its a great little LCD

There are a few options you have if you do not want the STB outside on your deck. You would basically need to extend the component out of the STB to the LCD on your deck, as well as carry the IR signal from your remote control inside. I can assist you in the cable you will need to make that happen as well as recommend some ir extenders so you can take the STB remote onto your deck and control it. There are a few models if you have a dish that have RF (radio frequency) remotes that work through walls and such, but so far the cable providers stick with IR.

I hope that helps a bit and if you have any other questions let me know

Glad you can offer. I find myself asking here on all types of questions. that is what this community is all about.
I read a nice article in Saturdays paper in the tech section regarding piecemealing a surround system together on the cheap. Basically it said skip the surround in a box and start with a nice $300 unit and buying as you can afford.

That is absolutely true. Your surround system is only as good as your receiver. Especially now when people are using their receiver as their "video switcher" (STB, DVD player, xbox360) its really important to have a good receiver. When people buy a "surround in a box" setup they really sacrifice some of the quality. You have to do a bit more research but it makes it worth it in the end.

Question,

I am building a deck and plan on wiring the area for sound. I can run wires from a switch but that will be a PITA. Is there a loss in sound quality if I go with a RF unit to transmit the sound. The speakers will probably be Bowers & Wilkins (as that is all I buy)....

Question,

I am building a deck and plan on wiring the area for sound. I can run wires from a switch but that will be a PITA. Is there a loss in sound quality if I go with a RF unit to transmit the sound. The speakers will probably be Bowers & Wilkins (as that is all I buy)....

I'm telling you right now as much as a PITA it will be, the sound will be much much better if you run cable to each speaker. Although people will tell you otherwise, I know first hand that wireless speakers are not the best solution. Especially if you are going with a higher quality speaker. It just wouldn't do it justice. It would be like buying a limited edition opus X humidor and filling it with White Owls. heh.

There are a few clever ways to do this though, and hiding the cable shouldn't be too much trouble. A staple gun and some high quality black speaker wire will take you a long way. You will be happy you did. I would also suggest putting a volume control on your deck, or get an RF remote control/touchpanel that can talk to your audio receiver.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Okay here is a tough one for you. I am building a smoking lounge in my basement which will have a big screen TV but I already spent all my money on cigars. Now if you can chose the right TV, deliver it, and install it accepting cigars as payment then you are doing something ;)

Alright,

First off I would for sure shy away from the "cable card" stuff. There are too many problems with menus and on demand services, and the set up can be a serious pain. The other issue is that as the technology changes, you want to be able to adapt with your STB. If you use the DVR on your STB or like the on demand service I would stick with the STB.

With that being said the TV that I think looks pretty darn impressive is a Samsung LN26A450 26 inch 720p LCD TV. Yes it is ONLY 720p, but I absolutely defy anybody to be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p on such a small screen. Its just impossible. This LCD is light, easy to set up, has 3 HDMI inputs, a few component inputs and the speakers sound pretty darn good for a smaller TV. Do a search on Amazon for it and read some reviews. Its a great little LCD

There are a few options you have if you do not want the STB outside on your deck. You would basically need to extend the component out of the STB to the LCD on your deck, as well as carry the IR signal from your remote control inside. I can assist you in the cable you will need to make that happen as well as recommend some ir extenders so you can take the STB remote onto your deck and control it. There are a few models if you have a dish that have RF (radio frequency) remotes that work through walls and such, but so far the cable providers stick with IR.

I need to buy a 32" set....would you say the above holds true for 32" also?....and if so any recommendations?

Alright,

Thanks for the advice - I just ordered a LN26B460 (new model not out yet) - It was cheaper by a couple bucks over the LN26A450 at ABT - Cost shipped was $ 449.00 - no tax.
Should be in by the first week of April. I think I will just order another STB for outside ( I hate paying another $ 9.99/mo for the High Def box) - I guess I should look at it as one cigar less per month :laugh:

Okay here is a tough one for you. I am building a smoking lounge in my basement which will have a big screen TV but I already spent all my money on cigars. Now if you can chose the right TV, deliver it, and install it accepting cigars as payment then you are doing something ;)

Well at least your priorities are in the right place! I can't argue with that. Now if I could only remember where I put that spare 52 inch LCD I have! ;)

Alright,

I need to buy a 32" set....would you say the above holds true for 32" also?....and if so any recommendations?

Well this is where the tipping point begins. Although I will continue to fight that even at 32 inches, it is IMPOSSIBLE to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, most 32 inch LCD TV's come with 1080p. Even if you find one at 720p its not much of a cost increase to just get a 1080p TV and tell all your friends how awesome you are because you have a 1080p LCD.

This may not be the most popular brand, but I was seriously impressed with Vizio LCD's as of late. The newer large models even have streaming Netflix movies with an ethernet jack in the back. Very cool.
Anyways, the Vizio VO32LF is a pretty impressive television. But sticking with my Samsung recommendation from above, you can also go with the Samsung LN32A450 ( a 720p LCD). The Samsung Consumer brand is a great LCD (the 'Professional' series used for corporate applications has had some power supply issues, but that isnt present in the Consumer series).

I hope that helps

That helps a ton brother...I also have heard good things about the Vizio.

Thanks for taking the time to help out! :thumbs:

Thanks for the advice - I just ordered a LN26B460 (new model not out yet) - It was cheaper by a couple bucks over the LN26A450 at ABT - Cost shipped was $ 449.00 - no tax.
Should be in by the first week of April. I think I will just order another STB for outside ( I hate paying another $ 9.99/mo for the High Def box) - I guess I should look at it as one cigar less per month :laugh:

Nice pick up. You will be much happier than the cable card option. I love ABT. Lemme know if u want to place the cable box inside, we can come up with some solutions.

And I would recommend not eating 1 day instead of buying 1 cigar less a month. You gotta have priorities. ;)

That helps a ton brother...I also have heard good things about the Vizio.

Thanks for taking the time to help out! :thumbs:

My pleasure. Good Luck

Wow, this has been a very informative read. Once I am able to take the time to re-wire my system I will get back to you with the technical specifications of all of the components I have to see if you have any advice/suggestions on the current setup I have. Good work! :thumbs:

Great thread! :thumbs:

I'm thinking along the lines of a Sharp Aquos 52" LCD (at $12-1400) and a Sony Bravia surround system with wireless rear speakers (about $400) to replace my current setup when my tax refund comes back . . . are there better choices in the same price range?

~Boar

First off, great thread and thanks for offering up your experience.

Secondly, I've got a 60" Mitsubishi WD-60735. I'm trying to figure out the best quality HDMI cables to go with. I know this TV is not the best when it comes to picture quality but it was well worth the Black Friday sale I got on it. I'm just trying to squeeze the best picture possible out of my Verizon Media HD DVR and my 360.

TIA for the response.

First off, great thread and thanks for offering up your experience.

Secondly, I've got a 60" Mitsubishi WD-60735. I'm trying to figure out the best quality HDMI cables to go with. I know this TV is not the best when it comes to picture quality but it was well worth the Black Friday sale I got on it. I'm just trying to squeeze the best picture possible out of my Verizon Media HD DVR and my 360.

TIA for the response.

I hope he concurs, but buy your HDMI cables from Monoprice.com. They are cheap and in most cases equal to the $100 HDMI cables that are out there. I have purchased many of their cables at $4 apiece and they work very well.

Check out a comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDw2ZSDzlMw

Here is the link to the HDMI page at monoprice.com The 24 and 28 guage are the cheaper ones that work very well IMHO.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepar...amp;cp_id=10240

I have no affiliation with them, I just buy from them.

I hope he concurs, but buy your HDMI cables from Monoprice.com.

HOLT CRIPES!!!

How the hell can Best Buy charge those outrageous prices on cable and get away with it? If these cables are the same quality as the rest then I'll be redoing my entire set-up's wiring. Thanks for the site!!

I hope he concurs, but buy your HDMI cables from Monoprice.com.

HOLT CRIPES!!!

How the hell can Best Buy charge those outrageous prices on cable and get away with it? If these cables are the same quality as the rest then I'll be redoing my entire set-up's wiring. Thanks for the site!!

Where do you think they make their money when having such good prices on the TV's. They say, "You also need this $100 cable to connect the TV, so it will work...." Customer thinks they are already spending $2K on a TV financed over 3 years same as cash.....no big deal.