• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Buying cigars on a cruise?

roboref

I will be cruising in the Caribbbean on Memorial Day and wanted to buy a nice box of cigars.

1. Can I buy them there cheaper than in the USA.
2. How can I tell counterfeit Cuban from the real thing.
3. How can I get them home in good condition?

We will be visiting SanJuan, St. Maarten and St thomas. Obviously the only place to get Cubans would be St. Maarten.

Yup, four more words

LA CASA DE HABANO

Accept no imitations

Don't buy anything on the ship!

Don't buy a box of ISOM's without opening it FIRST!

And then don't let the box leave your site!!!

I've had the o'le bait and switch done to me ONCE! And you don't forget after that.

LilCigarDude.gif
~Monte

I would not buy them on the ship either. Two reasons, #1 being the price and #2 being the questionable origin.

La Casa de Habano is the way to go, at least you know they're legit, who cares about the $$$

Another suggestion...bring along a couple sealable baggies...Humidipak bags if you can get them. Great for travelling...that's what I take when I go on vacation to Mexico.

Ok couple of more questions,

1. What would you reccomend to purchase at the las casa del habanos? I will be visitng one in in St Marteen.

2. How much should I expect to pay?

3. Is there a safe way to get them back with me?

Thanks

if you're going to st. marteen then there are two LCDH's on the island:eek:ne on the dutch side and one on the french side. i've heard that one is better than the other, but i can't remember which one. if you'll go to the LCDH website then you can find those two stores listed and email them about prices on smokes. that way you'll know exactly how much cash to take with you.

bruce

I will most likely be at the one on the dutch side. This one will be the easiest to get to as I know where it is at. I still need suggestions for which brands to look at. I like Ashton VSG the best and then the CAO anniversaire cameroon, to give you ideas of what I like now. I still need brands and if you happen to have prices or what price I should be willing to pay let me know.

Also if you have brought back Cubans from cruise how did you do it? I am not looking to bring back even a whole box, but just maybe 10 to 20 total, just a variety? any suggestions?

Roboref

Still looking for recommended brands to try as well as the best way to get thme back home. Any suggestions would be great!

roboref said:
I will most likely be at the one on the dutch side. This one will be the easiest to get to as I know where it is at. I still need suggestions for which brands to look at. I like Ashton VSG the best and then the CAO anniversaire cameroon, to give you ideas of what I like now. I still need brands and if you happen to have prices or what price I should be willing to pay let me know.

Also if you have brought back Cubans from cruise how did you do it? I am not looking to bring back even a whole box, but just maybe 10 to 20 total, just a variety? any suggestions?

Roboref
I don't know what port you are departing from, but here in Miami, you literally have to go out of your way to attract the attention of customs officials. After going in and out of customs literally, at least, 50 times in the last couple of years, I have yet to even be given a moment's pause by customs officials. Nor have my bags been opened, nor any scrutiny ever placed on my what I was bringing in. As a wink, wink, nudge, nudge kind of thing - since it's contraband, don't place too much consideration on "declaring" anything on your customs card.

Of course, the alternative if you're a bit meeker- take box of some kind, tupperware, ziplock or whatever, then place the "10 to 20" contraband cigars in it after having removed and disposed of the bands. Then, you'd be hard-pressed to find any customs official who could make a determination as to the origin of those cigars.